Westie

Rear trailing arm bushes, help please.

Hello everyone,

I'm restoring an old rear VR axle and I'm hoping to change the rear trailing arm bushes for a set of powerflex ones I've bought.

I was hoping if anyone had the vw special tool 3111 I could borrow it or maybe someone send me the specs for one so I can have one made??

Many thanks :)

You should be able to drill the rubber part of the old ones out then carefully cut the remaining sleeve with a hacksaw blade, poly ones just tap in with a bit of the supplied lube on them but some folk don't recommend them as they don't have any give in them like the original type

Righto ok, I'll try the cut and saw method, fingers crossed it'll come apart without too much of a fight.

As for the give, I'm not too worried, I've got a KW v3 set of coilovers fitted so with these fitted too I'm hoping she'll corner like an F1 car, possible future track toy :)

It does radically alter the handling losing the passive rear wheel steering. It will make it more predictable and stiffer but ultimately less agile.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Oh that sucks, well I'm fortunate that I have a spare axle, so if the stiffness ruins the ride I'll swap it over again.

Thanks for the help all :)

When i fitted the powerflex rear bushes, they had 3 slots in the bush where it passes through the axle, this lets water in and it rotted out the mounting points on my axle. I notice the newer powerflex bushes don't have these slots.