Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Milltek or Magnex ?

Call me an old giffer, but I'm starting to think my custom Powerflow zorst is a bit loud, it's a fantastic piece of work & is fine when cruising on the motorway, but when razzing round town (which I do 90% of the time), it's a bit in yer face (or rather ears!). So I'm thinking of ditching it for an off-the-shelf Milltek or Magnex one & would like some opinions on which to get.

Cheers guys,

Robbo

i have heard the build quality of the miltek is a bit dodgy some of the time...if you get a good one its the same as the magnex, but get a bad one and it wont fit very well and will knock all the time.

personally im going for the magnex when i get some money together

I've got a Magnex on mine and it looks and sounds good. Its got a good deep bass tone to it, and not the Lax Power in yer face sound. :D

at idle the noise is pretty much the same,just a bit deeper,sounds nice as you start putting your foot down

I was thinking bout this, my powerflow is a bit loud! My mate say's it sounds like a chainsaw cutting through ice!!

Think I might look into getting a magnex in the near future, I had one on my Mk1 and it was a work of art :mrgreen: and sounded awesome when I gave it some revs

Sorry Sanj, you beat me to it ! My Powerflow looks superb with an upswept Boxer style tailpipe which fills all the cutout, it's just a bit too noisy!

Robbo

Jetex is well put together and not too noisy! Not much choice of rear outlet's though......think they only come in single round...

Yeah, that's why I went for a Powerflow in the first place, for something a bit different. Most dissapointing thing now though, is I can't hear that distinctive VR vvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... when I floor it anymore :cry:

Robbo

well if there is interest in the magnex i may look at re organising that group buy again. ppl lost interest last year as it was around xmas time... let me know if you want me to do it again

I had a Jetex zorst on my old 16v C, and wished I hadn't bothered. The sound was perfect, quiet on tickover but a nice roar when you put your foot down without being too loud. The tailpipe also looked good. It just didn't fit at all, the diameter of the pipework was so large that it only just cleared the back axle and had to be bolted up to the underside of the car with chain rubbers to stop it banging. Despite refitting it a couple of times it still never fitted properly and if you put any weight in the back it hit the axle.

Maybe this was a one off ? If anyone had had any other experiences of Jetex exhausts I would be intersted to know cos the sound and appearance were spot on.

Si, I've always had Jetex systems on my VW's in the past (not stainless btw) & they've always been superb. You must have got a duff one there.

Cheers,

Robbo

got a milltek in jan for my 16v

Margianlly louder but a lot deeper on idle and not really noticible whilst driving steadily.

The guy who put it on for me though did say it was a tight fit but saying that I have had no problems with it since fitment.

Next question then - anyone found any bargain price suppliers for Magnex? I've seen them retailing for up to £350 :shock:

Matt buz where abouts in Leeds are you? I haven't seen you around, do you ever get over to Dewsbury?

Cheers,

Robbo

Or how about a standard exhaust? VW sell the genuine (Lientz) rear two boxes for a VR6 for £155+VAT. They flow pretty well and they will obviously suit your giffer status :wink:

SuperSprint are also rather sexy but not so sexily priced.

If it were me I'd be going Miltek 2.5" bore.

K

i got a group buy price of £285 before. could probably get the same again but would need quite a few ppl.

I've seen them for about £310 on the net normally

Nah... I've already junked the standard exhaust (it was knackered), the type of driving I do m.s. exhausts only last 5 mins! I'm sure I read somewhere that original exhausts were more like £400!

A mate of mine had a twin Milltek on his R32 & it did sound superb, but I have heard mixed reports about the build quality of Millteks.

Cheers,

Robbo

When we used to have enquiries about fitting performance systems that customers had already bought, the price was always more if it wasnt magnex, out of dozens and dozens of mild steel and stainless we fitted we only had one problem with magnex and that was on a mk2 but i think it was just a bad one, janspeed was the worst though the price always doubled when they mentioned them :-P

Cheapest I found it was from this place:

http://www.scarbro-racing.co.uk/magnexv

Only reason i've not got one now is cause the bloody vw one is so well built :)

I'd be interested in a magnex group buy as long as I can get some sort of receipt for it, then it can go through as a company expense 8)

Next question then - anyone found any bargain price suppliers for Magnex? I've seen them retailing for up to £350 :shock:

Matt buz where abouts in Leeds are you? I haven't seen you around, do you ever get over to Dewsbury?

Cheers,

Robbo

Robbo,

Dont get over that way much. I live near Ilkey so I only really drive my car at the weekends and thats usually around the Yorkshire Dales. Early sunday, summer, mornings in the dales can be a real treat to people that love driving their cars. 8)

Will look out for you if and when I venture over that way.

Cheers

Matt Buz

and to keep on the topics of exhausts

a) I love em

b) my Miltek cost me 328..........then about a week later there was a group buy on them :cry: