Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Milltek or Magnex ?

I had the privelidge of hearing a Magnex and a Milltek on a C on the VR6 last weekend. All I can say is MAGNEX - end of story!!! The fit is better than the OEM and the idle is gorgeous.... 8) BUT when you floor it!..... LOVELY :) I want one!! :D

How easy are the Magnex exhuasts to fit? I heard that you had to drop the rear axle to fit an OEM one, is that right??

I think it's just the OEM rear half that is unique in that it comes in one piece, Magnex, Miltek etc will all be sectioned.

So what happened when it was floored then? Loud? Subdued but bassy? Boxy? And at what temperature was the engine etc? Sounds like a silly question that last one but the exhaust sounds different when it warms up.

Discrete but bassy - kind of a professional roar, what's the word for it - mature and expensive is how it sounded! lol

It really was something!

So, given the fact that you have to drop the rear axle on refits - is it an idea to avoid the OEM one?

I take it that the Magnex (or any aftermarket one) would flow better than the OEM?

Si B, I had a Jetex system on a mk2 8v and thought the fit was excellent, and sounded good but not too loud. It had a little rubber bung on the top of the back box to stop it hitting the floor, and a different rear hanger to make fitting it alot easier.

Had a Scorpion on a 16v mk2 and it was louder (still sounded cool) and the fitment was nowhere near as good. Used to hit the rear axle with or without people in the back. The car was lowered 40mm but the Jetex never did that with a similar setup.

Had a Milltek fitted recently to the VR and I think it sounds pretty cool. Just abit deeper and louder than standard, goes very quiet midrange so no droan on the motorway, usless going over 120 when it gets abit louder which is understandable. :)

Cheapest I found it was from this place:

http://www.scarbro-racing.co.uk/magnexv

Only reason i've not got one now is cause the bloody vw one is so well built :)

I'd be interested in a magnex group buy as long as I can get some sort of receipt for it, then it can go through as a company expense 8)

305? thats alot cheaper than I thought they'd be tbh

Yeah DanA, that is a good price. I'm sure a while back I found somewhere doing them for £295ish, but I can't remember for the life of me where it was now!

Robbo

So, given the fact that you have to drop the rear axle on refits - is it an idea to avoid the OEM one?

You don't have to drop the axle for any exhaust. The aftermarket ones come in sections and the VW one is just cut and rejoined. I just think the reason G&SF sell the VR rear two boxes so cheaply is because they're the exhausts they actually put on at the factory, i.e. 1 peice, which is inconvenient if you don't want to cut and shut it around the axle.

I take it that the Magnex (or any aftermarket one) would flow better than the OEM?

So they'd have us believe. I don't think they do. They just produce different shape expansion chambers and use different wadding materials to make more noise, which makes you *think* the car is faster, when it isn't.

Not sure on weights but I think the stainless Magnex use is a fair bit lighter than the VW metal and the OE system is bloody heavy!! The hangers weren't welded on properly to the VW systems either, as many of us have found out by now :?

At least Aftermarket ones have better hangers!

Ok, so is this a conspiracy of silence on the part of all those of you that i have supplied Milltek systems to. You remember, you are the guys who complained bitterly that the old systems you had previously had poor fit, sounded awfull, were banging on the rear beam etc etc, and since having had a Milltek system fitted have been delighted with the result ney even jumping through hoops! Well get your fingers on the keyboard and tell Robbo149 and his kind that Milltek are the market leader in high quality stainless steel systems and that you are whitness to this fact. Furthermore i can supply you a system for your Corrado for £249 inc Vat plus P&P. Magnex i am sure will please many of you and i know their product well, but Milltek is what i supply because having sampled every product and the customer service adopted by each company i found Milltek to be well ahead in their class.

Yeah.. it does seem a little odd that no-ones piped up. Drop out a few PM's John and try and get some feedback on these exhausts.

I have heard nothing but good things for Milltek exhausts, and I know that Tempest has one fitted to his G60 Corrado which he is very happy with... and that is a very very good price John! :)

The Milltek I have has is an early one, refitted it last night with some new VW clamps as the orginal clamps that came with the exhaust had given up and let the centre box twist round and rattle on the axle. The fit of the early millteks is not spot on, but I believe (JMR should be able to confirm) the fit of any new milltek is spot on.

I have used a magnex on a G60, the fit was spot on, but the centre box split within 6 months, replaced on warranty, now still going strong 3 years later of Mike Edwards VR.

If I was in the market for another I think I would go for the Milltek, but its a very close run thing. Buts lets face it you can't beat JMR's price for the Milltek

Cheers Andy

£249 for the milteck.....well that makes it an attractive offer over the magnex...especially if you say the poor fit of the older units has now been corrected.

how much for P&P to cambridge then?

I presume this comes with a life time warrenty still? and does that warrenty cover the baffles being knocked out of place (and thus rattling when i close the poxey door :mad: :mad: )

cheers

I thought the Milltek sounded great but too loud for me, not as discrete as the Magnex but the fit was absolutely perfect.

yes - what is the warranty on Milltek - great price!

i havent heard a miltek to be honest but my mates magnex is very subtle and quiet and looks great.

its just how much quieter is it than the miltek?? be good to get both side by side to listen at various engine speeds....

oh and also if that £249 is the vr6 price....that makes it about £50 cheaper than the magnex.......which is nice :lol:

Have seen a miltek on a C and didn't think the exhaust tip came out far enough from the bumper... there was literally only about an inch of tip sticking out - I think the standard looks better! Does the Magnex come out further... some pics would be great if anyone has em?

yes Magnex was quieter - very much like the OEM one at Idle but sounded fantastic when floored. Not boomy at all! :D

I had always been told that Magnex were the best or supersprint - but - the Magnex has the Oval design whereas the Supersprint is round I believe! After witnessing both the Magnex and Milltek, I was a fair bit happier with the Magnex.

I've only heard a VR with a Miltek and the idle was too loud for my tastes and a bit boomy - a traditional stainless trait.

I want OE quiet. I can't stand loud exhausts. I want to hear my stereo at 70+ mph!

Sounds like Magnex is the way to go then :lol:

Sounds like Magnex is the way to go then

Definitiely, I've had a Magnex on mine for a year now and OMG :shock: when you get to 4k rpm the sound is gorgeous :D and at idle you dont sound like a corsa boy!! when i first heard it on i was disappointed cos it didnt seem to change the sound at all but then i drove it and was chuffed to bits, have been ever since!!! :) :) :)

I don't think the Milltek is really that loud at all. Is quite deep at idle but above 2500rpm ish it quietens right down, no louder than the OE exhaust, just sounds deeper which I think's good. I don't like loud exhausts either and I think the Milltek has a long way to go before it can be classed as loud.