dazzx10r

My Corrado 1.8 20v turbo build

Hmm, I didn't realise that. On to plan B then.

You could re drill 288mm to 4 x 100?

MK3 VR6 288mm and MK4 288mm disks have different offsets, you'd need to dry fit with pads before drilling.

Fiat coupe non turbo 284mm disks are 4 x 100 but need the centre bore opening out to fit VAG hubs and are the correct offset for the 288mm calipers.

Plan B is to use these Lotus Elise (S2) discs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90760[/ATTACH]

They are 288mm but slightly thicker at 25mm and the center bore is smaller at 60mm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90775[/ATTACH]

So I popped one in the lathe and opened the centre bore out to 65mm and did a test fit.

These are a few discs I have to hand, from the left; std Corrado disc, G60 280mm disc, Mk4 Golf disc, S2 Lotus Elise disc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90763[/ATTACH]

Elise disc at the side of a Golf 4 disc, note the thickness.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90766[/ATTACH]

Elise disc fitted to the car, looks okay but those are worn pads so I'm not sure if they will work with brand new pads. I'll check back later when I have the new pads to hand.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90769[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90772[/ATTACH]

Good to see someone getting stuff done over the holiday,

I'm stuck inside with flu since xmas eve :(

Oh dear, get well soon.

Got back in the garage and finished up a bit of the wiring and fitted the battery. Good news is............................................... the car run's :)

The guide over on Club GTI forum is spot on.

So I have moved on the making the downpipe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90856[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90859[/ATTACH]

I'm still waiting on a few bits to turn up, but on a plus note I have had this intercooler given to me. It looks like it could work ok.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90862[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90865[/ATTACH]

A bit of an update from the weekend, Tried to start the car today after finaly finishing up the wiring. The fuel pump wirred into life, the throttle body buzzed away and the engine cranked over but would'nt fire. We spent an hour or so problem solving and checking over a few things and then realised that the crankshaft sensor wasn't plugged in. Doh! Tried the car again and it sprung straight into life. to say that I'm happy is an understatement.

So I then went and refitted the fusebox and put the dash back together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90940[/ATTACH]

Posty came and left me this Temp sender. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90943[/ATTACH]

Fitted

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90946[/ATTACH]

Got this intercooler donated to me from my son's old Polo GTI, it's a bit big but I reckon it will work ok. I do like freebies

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90949[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90952[/ATTACH]

I found an 80mm Maf that I had from my old Focus ST, so I took the Ford sensor out of it and tried the VW one in it. I now have a choice of 70mm or 80mm maf.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90955[/ATTACH]

I made a boss for my MAP sensor and got mt mate to weld it into my intercooler.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90958[/ATTACH]

I then gave the intercooler a coat of high temp black paint, it's the only black spray I had to hand at the time :lol:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90961[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90964[/ATTACH]

As things were going so well I thought I'd get the front panel back on, which then led me to fitting the headlights and grille.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90967[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90970[/ATTACH]

I think I might need a new grille badge now?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90973[/ATTACH]

It's all coming together now, won't be long before it's back on the road.

I was going to fit my rear brake hoses today, but as I got under the rear of the car I noticed that the rear beam bushes looked a little tired

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91027[/ATTACH]

Now that I had seen this I just had to get the beam off and get those bushes out, not a job I had planned on.

I used Ed China's trick of suing a bolt through a socket to pull the middle out of the bush, then using a 35mm hole saw I drilled the remaining rubber out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91030[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91033[/ATTACH]

Then it was just a simple case of using the hacksaw to cut through the outer steel shell and knocking it out with a hammer and chisel.

Whilst I was removing the beam I disconected the ABS sensor cable from inside the car and pushed it and the gromet though the boot floor, unforunately I also removed a little bit of rot at the same time :mad2:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91036[/ATTACH]

So I cut a plate and repaired the hole, I'll dill it out for the gromet later and paint it all back up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91039[/ATTACH]

I removed all of the brake lines from the beam whilst I had it out on the floor, they were pretty much shot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91042[/ATTACH]

I also noticed that the little plastic wheel that goes inside the spring for the proportioning valve was broken.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91045[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91048[/ATTACH]

So I couldn't really leave that, time to fire up the lathe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91051[/ATTACH]

So new Floflex bushes on order, less than half the price of the Powerflex ones. ;) and that's about all I can do for now with the beam. I'll give it a clean up and paint before refitting.

The exhaust flange turned up in the post today so I could get on with making the decat pipe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91054[/ATTACH]

All done, I made an extended 02 boss, sorry I didn't get pics of making that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91057[/ATTACH]

You're making good progress. I wish I had more space for large tools and to get into some welding

I have stripped every thing off the rear beam ready to clean it up and repaint

The brakes look like they've had it and the back plates are pretty much non existant.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91123[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91126[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91129[/ATTACH]

I went on a little shopping trip to Toolstation and bought these

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91132[/ATTACH]

They should rip through the rust in no time, probably the most lethal tool ever inveted by man :lol:

All of the loose flakey rust removed from the beam and ready to paint

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91135[/ATTACH]

Rear beam has had 2 coats of red oxide primer and now ready for some gloss black enamel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91138[/ATTACH]

I decided to strip the calipers and see how bad they actually were, to my suprise they weren't seized so I tackled them with my wire wheel on the grinder to remove the worst of the rust and gave them a lick of silver paint before reassembling them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91141[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91144[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91147[/ATTACH]

That's all for this week due to being on 12hr days all week. I have bought a roll of copper brake pipe, so I will be remaking all of the brake lines next weekend then I'll move on to making up the intercooler pipe work. This is all going to be done in 2.5" stainless with as little silicone hose conections as possible.

Been doing a bit of machining today and made some stub axle spacers, I wasn't sure whether to go with 20mm wide or 25mm so I made both :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91207[/ATTACH]

If you are lowering it aswell you could design and machine some that raise the stub position and also shift it back to center the wheel in the arch

If you are lowering it aswell you could design and machine some that raise the stub position and also shift it back to center the wheel in the arch

Hmmm, not a bad idea. I'll have a look at that. :thumbleft:

As graham says, I think there would be a good market for those spacers. I'd be interested for sure.

Time for a bit of an update. I have changed all of the brake pipes for copper, unfortunately I didn't have enough pipe to do the drivers side front so This will get done later when I get more pipe.

So that's pretty much everything done on the underside of the car.

I decided to move the battery into the back of the car, I have used a mk4 golf battery junction box mounted in the engine bay to give me a few power options and to make the battery relocation easier

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91390[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91396[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91399[/ATTACH]

I have used welding cable from work for my main battery cable, that should provide plenty of cranking amps! I have a few plans for the rear of the car, all will be revealed later.

Edited by dazzx10r

My turbo intake pipe has finally turned up so with this fitted it has given me chance to look at the intercooler pipe work.

I have made it all from 2.5 stainless, just need to get it all welded up now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91402[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91405[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91408[/ATTACH]

I have also moved the expansion tank to the other side of the bay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91411[/ATTACH]

And I managed to fit my catch tank, must remember to order a cap!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91414[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91390[/ATTACH]

Very nice, I'm doing the same but on the other side of the car with the cables coming through the inner wing to hide them