fendervg

Moonroof questiion

Hi all - does anyone have a Passat B3/B4 moonrof fitted in their Corrado? I'm particularly interested in how the sliding trim panel on the inside is fitted and works with the existing opening and panel in the headlining. I'm assuming it can be slid back manually when the roof is closed and does not move with the glass panel?

Would be great to see some photos if anyone has them.

Cheers.

Hi all - does anyone have a Passat B3/B4 moonrof fitted in their Corrado? I'm particularly interested in how the sliding trim panel on the inside is fitted and works with the existing opening and panel in the headlining. I'm assuming it can be slid back manually when the roof is closed and does not move with the glass panel?

Would be great to see some photos if anyone has them.

Cheers.

I had one fitted to my previous Corrado. The sliding panel works independently to the roof and can be slid back irrespective if the roof being open or closed allowing light into the car. It looks really effective and lightens up the interior. I have a photo but am unable to post on the forum for some reason. Send me your email address and I will forward it to you. Robin

Passat Estate is the one you want as it has the same panel profile as the Corrado. And yes, Passat sunroofs suffer the same nearside cable snapping as the Corrado.

Cheers Kev - all those mechs seem to be the same - complete POS. A3 and B3/B4 ones use exactly the same mechanism and cable guides. I have a few bits and pieces together and will see if I can make up a working hybrid unit from them.

Cheers Kev - all those mechs seem to be the same - complete POS. A3 and B3/B4 ones use exactly the same mechanism and cable guides. I have a few bits and pieces together and will see if I can make up a working hybrid unit from them.

I’m sure that mk3 golf mechanisms are very similar and although they work in the same way, the materials used are more sturdy, and fairly sure you can swap your panel onto the mk3 mechanism.

I think a previous owner/long time missing at least did a write up. Search for Redmagregor, at least I think that was his username. I met him a while ago and he convinced me :)

Thanks easypops - the framses are all more or less the same between the Corrado, Mk3 Golf (A3) and Passat B3/B4, and the mounting ho;les will all line up. The Golf roof panel curves slightly too much, so doesn't fit or look right - some use some washers to space it, but it still looks off. The Passat moonroof panel sits perfectly.

All made by Rockwell International - but now most VAG sunroofs are made by Webasto - go figure!

I've had all 3 types apart at one time or another (all broken the same way, rear left cable guide failure) and I can't see any difference between the slider parts and mechanisms at all - the only things that appear different is that the solid roofs have a lifter on each side for the internal panel that moves up with the roof in tilt position, and the moonroof versions have some stop buffers on the slide rails for the internal slideing panel.

The thing that kills them all is lack of lubrication and use - I'd say maybe only dealers ever followed the service check list and did it, if at all, and then any car that was serviced independently or left sitting for a while will have suffered.

I've a working standard roof in my car at the moment, but would like to go the glass route for more light in the cabin and because I think it will look well with the grey paint.