Sign in to follow this  
stevenebie

Just purchased a VR6

I just purchased a 94 Corrado VR6 yesterday in dragon green. Moving from a MK2 16v Golf to this I couldn't believe the difference. The power delivery and the willingness of the engine is unbelievable, never seems stressed. It also would appear to be as economical, if not more than the Golf on the trip home which surprised me. It has 84k with a full VW history and a very nice Recaro cloth interior. It has a couple of minor niggles, one of which is the heater blower only works on position 4. Does anyone have an idea of how much the resisior pack costs? I also think one of the front shocks is nearing the end of it's life and would like some advice on replacement shocks & springs. Still not sure if I want to lower the car or not so opinion would be welcome.

Cheers

Steven

Welcome to the real world ;) Get a Gallery thread up asap :)

Sounds like a nice car! Price?

There is plenty of info on here about the heater problem.

I'd lower it if I were you - it must be like a tractor. Even a little drop makes the car look sooo much nicer.

Look forward to seeing you on the road!

I am only 7 miles away in Linlithgow - Classic green Storm.

The blower on the £250 Polo I bought for my daughter last week only works on full blast but I believe the problem is easily and cheaply solved on both Corrado and Polo.

Best regards

Congrats! :D The VR6 engine is so nice isn't it? It still amazes me how much ooomph I can get out of it without even trying, but then I did come from a Mk2 Golf driver, which was a little underpowered to say the least :)

I agree with what VR6 said, you should lower it. If its on the standard speedline wheels it will look so much better, you only need about 30mm drop for it to look nice too.

The heater may not be the resistor pack, the switch may have a fault that can be quickly fixed for nothing in about 15 minutes. I've already posted the details somewhere on the forum, but if you can't find it let me know and I'll email you the pictures of how to test/repair.

Congrats on getting the VR.

I just purchased a 94 Corrado VR6 yesterday in dragon green. Moving from a MK2 16v Golf to this I couldn't believe the difference. The power delivery and the willingness of the engine is unbelievable, never seems stressed. It also would appear to be as economical, if not more than the Golf on the trip home which surprised me. It has 84k with a full VW history and a very nice Recaro cloth interior. It has a couple of minor niggles, one of which is the heater blower only works on position 4. Does anyone have an idea of how much the resisior pack costs? I also think one of the front shocks is nearing the end of it's life and would like some advice on replacement shocks & springs. Still not sure if I want to lower the car or not so opinion would be welcome.

Cheers

Steven

sounds a good'un and pretty rare too with the cloth recaros..............anyway here's a link to the heater blower fix......fixable for under £1....in fact under £0.50p

http://website.lineone.net/~quigger/heater.htm

as for lowering it..............this is essential on any VR6.............just for cosmetic reasons.........IMHO the VR6 looks sooo stupid with its quasi-4x4 look

Wise choice in Car, sounds a nice one. :D

The heater blower although maybe the thermal fuse, could also be the copper contact, which was why mine only worked on number 4.

Cheers for the help. I tried just checking the switch contact and it still only worked on position 4. Going to take the motor out and check the resistor pack.

it'll be the thermal fuse on the resistor pack...

This normally blows when the bearings in the fan motor are worn as it causes the fan to draw too much current and blows the thermal fuse... :| The fuse is available from Maplins or RS components for about 50p and can simply be soldered in to replace the old one, but you'll probably need a new fan motor to prevent this happening again (about £30 IIRC 8) )

See HERE for details on how to replace the fuse... 8)