TheHead

Almost New....But Need a Bit of Advice

Afternoon all.

It's been a long time since I was last here - basically, I've had three Corrados in my time, loved every one of them, but for whatever reason they all had to go when they did.

Since the last one went on it's merry way (very reluctantly and it's very much missed), I've craved to have another.....and this past week an opportunity has arisen for this to happen.

I came across a K-reg VR6 for sale fairly locally and i'm very very tempted.

It looks in near pristine condition - paintwork is near immaculate, interior is excellent, wheels are excellent - on initial look around there were only three things I could say were "bad" about the car, the handle for pulling the front seat forward to get into the back was broken, the window wiper stalks had a little bit of rust on them, and the rubber along the driver and passenger windows was a bit warped (although, i think i had this on my previous Corrados).

Along with the car is a wooden briefcase with literally every bit of paperwork to do with the car - all MOTs, all services, all receipts, every tax disk, everything.

I seriously cannot fault this car at all.

The only niggling thing for me is they are asking £8500 for it.

I've never spent that kind of money outright on a car, so it's a bit of a biggie for me (and possibly because of that it's causing me to worry if I should buy it).

Do you more experienced folks in here think thats a good price for the car?

As I'm not trading in, the price has already come down by £500 and the seller wont budge on the price.

Am I being a fool in that I should snap this up immediately?

Gimme your advice, folks - it's much appreciated

TIA

Hi,

Is that the blue one at Jim Reids?

If it's the rubber that runs vertically up the door, it would be indicative of rust on the door frame underneath the rubber. If it's just the one that runs across the bottom of the window then it's likely been bent when removed. But why has it been removed would be my next question. Body rust is always the biggest issue with any Corrado so if you are good in that respect then it should be fine. Any sign of even the smallest bit of rust round the front windscreen spells trouble. Also the arches of the front wings and at the bottom where they bolt to the sill. Make sure the sills are straight and not been bent by improper jacking. The rear arches should be mint on a any Corrado, if not they have likely had work done due to damage. Wiper arms are easy enough to replace - more importantly check there is no play in the wiper linkages as the parts to fix it are obsolete - as with many Corrado parts these days.

It is top money for a VR6 and I would expect it want for nothing with everything in order. I would ensure everything works as it should. It's impossible to put a value on a Corrado without seeing it in the flesh. Ideally you would want some sort of independent health check at that kind of money.

Hey there.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, it is the one at Jim Reid’s.

Went out past last Saturday to have a look - genuinely looks the business.

Have you checked it out yourself?

I’m heading back out this Saturday to take it for a test drive and have a better look over it - and check all the areas you suggest.

The car belonged to Jim Reid himself, so I’d like to think it’s had anything it needs done to it.

I’ll maybe try and get my brother in law to come with me - he’s a mechanic and we’ll versed in checking over cars.

The price is a tad high, but compared to others I’ve seen for sale on the likes of gumtree or eBay (which for one in similar condition all have around double the mileage), I haven’t seen any with the history this one comes with.

I’m trying not to let my heart rule my head on this one, but the draw of the VR6 is massive! Lol

What is the mileage, and have the chains ever been replaced? Any engine work done in the past?

The rubbers along the door have a metal strip through which can rust and warp them, so not necessarily due to rust on the door. Or as Jamo has said they could have been removed in the past and re-fitted, but again that may be due to the doors having been painted previously, so not necessarily rust again.

It is decent money, but the good ones are easily fetching that now. Best of luck!

Ok just had a look on their website. Low mileage which is why they're asking what they are, but nearing the point where chains could be an issue - especially at the age if not already done. Early interior with cloth as well so not as desirable. IMO, if you're a cash buyer I'd look in the private market. You could get the same car for around 2k less I reckon.

I'd ask them to either fix or discount any of the items you have an issue with.

The outer window scrapers are often removed and refitted for paint or glass and window mech replacement and are easily bent and hard to get hold of new.

At that price I would personally want to see heated leather, but that can be a personal preference.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Haven't checked it out, just constantly on top of what Corrados are for sale. I'm restoring a G60 so like to keep an eye on the values.

I would get in about it and have a good look about it. What are the wheels? Assume they are BBS replicas.

At the end of the day if it's good, then it merits the value. It'll not loose value anytime soon that's for sure.

As mentioned the timing chains are important and can be expensive to change as it's a gearbox out job at the very least.

Yeah, I guess you really need to see it in the flesh and check every inch over and judge on the condition, not the miles. Also go through the receipts and history carefully. That's a very early VR with a pre-facelift interior and trim, but the chin spoiler has been replaced with the smaller one, so probably lowered a bit. Will also have a distributor instead of a coil pack.

Having seen this car several times it is nice but overpriced in my opinion

Haggle with him as its been for sale for over two years now

That cars nice but have you viewed it? Check the sill corners and roof trims if you get a chance. As said... it's been available for some time now.

Morning all.

Thanks for taking your time to reply, it’s much appreciated.

Sadly, for now, I won’t be getting back behind the wheel of this or any other Corrado.

I did go out past for a better look and test drive of the VR6 in question and, although it is very nice and in very good condition, my wife and I have just got too much to do to our house and I can’t justify the price at the moment.

I hadn’t realised the car had been up for sale for so long.

There were a couple of things said when I went to view it which made me think, but on sale for two years is pretty nuts.

Anyway, once our house is done, I’ll look to get another C, but for now I’ll just be lurking around the forum.

Thanks again, guys