Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

Which way do you swing? G60 or VR6

Hi,

Here's one for the G60 & VR6 crews to comment about.

I have a tuned G60 which has been my pride & joy for 3 years now and she's nearly complete.

======

Engine:

Rallye G60 block

Stage 4 charger (Just been rebuilt by JD)

Gas flowwed head

Hight lift cam

Customer front mount intercooler & pipping

Customer exshaust

SNS chip

Induction kit with heat shield

Chassis:

Koni Coilovers

All bushes replaced

Uprated drilled brakes

Rolled arched

Alloys

Exterior:

Side moulding removed and both sides resprayed

In-pro rear lights

Interior:

Full Black Leather

Boost & Air/Fuel Gauges in A-pillar pod

#### Not sure of the BHP figure yet but should be around 220 - 240 #######

=====

My dilemma is a friend of mine is selling a standard VR6 at a good price (£3,000.00) I've always liked the way a VR6 can be tuned to 300BHP with a simple supercharger bolt on.

The engine has done 112,000 and has been looked after having had all it's services etc. The only damage is some twat reversed into a front wing so it would need replacing.

The question is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I stay with my tuned G60 or jump ship and start again with a VR6?

What would you do?

Is a VR6 all what it's suppose to be?

Is the G60 a car I'd be sad to leave?

Anyway please help me out with my dilemma.

Cheers

Depends what you want from a car...

Do you want something that is fast no matter how lazy you are when driving it? / refined? - VR6

Do you want something noisy / good point and squirt machine? - G60

300bhp from just a supercharger? Unlikely....260ish more like. You're not going to get 110 bhp from 6-7psi and no intercooler.

Is the VR6 all it's supposed to be? Well what is it *supposed* to be, in your opinion? Try driving one and drawing your own conclusions.

If you've put all that work into your G60 and reckon you have 220-240 bhp, then getting into a VR after that is going to be a dissapointment.

I'd keep the G60 personally.

Scott, Not really thought about like that. I do like the noise and instant power from the G60 but you do have to drive it like nutter to keep the boost high!

But on the other hand

the VR6 lower down noise and amount torque are very nice indeed.

kevhaywire,

Never been in VR6 but read a little about them. I've hear the Vortech Supercharger can be good for nearing 300Bhp but I only read it some where.

How much ££££ would it take to get the VR6 to 300Bhp? :D :D

Yeah if you like the noise as well as the low-down power/torque then it's simple.

Get a VR6 cos you can't beat the induction noise once it hits 4000 rpm.

Even if like Kev you don't like the "roar" you can still get a replacement K&N panel air filter.

And then spend £1000 and get a supercharger put on.

Z-Engineering does a fantastic one - just ask BigPantsBaby.

Get the best of both worlds 8)

Not owned both but driven both.

I prefer the VR6, standard VR v standard G60 as well as modified v modified.

I don't find the G60 engine particularly refined or smooth, and neither is a VR6 with a silly air filter on it. My car is a daily driver, so refinement is important to me.

You might get 300bhp using a supercharger on a VR6 with careful cam choice and a few other tweeks, but bear in mind Guy Hartley's pushes 312bhp and that has water injection, 248 cams, 3.0 capacity and a Vortech (IIRC). That has had some serious develompent put in it, so please don't be deluded into thinking merely bolting a vortech to the side of the head will give you 300bhp.

Set your sites for 265ish and if you get the Vortech, it can run at 25psi with an upgrade kit, so you can reduce the compression ratio, squeeze an intercooler somewhere on the car and *then* you can start talking about getting into the 300s.....

Oh and another myth that can be dispelled right here, right now is the VR6 engine does *not* adversely affect the handling. And to support that argument, a 10 year old VR6 that can keep up with a new Cupra R (lighter 1.8T lump) in the corners with ease pretty much sums it up. His traction control light was on permanently in the rain zooming round roundabouts but not a hint of under or over steer from mine 8)

Has anyone here had both?

If so, do you think the weight of the VR6 up front makes the car handle differently?

Cheers

yup 8) . I have both!!

My G60 is not as refined as the VR6 by quite a distance. But as far a fun goes I prefer the G60. Its a real sporty beast. Instant power is a bonus!!

A 50Kg difference (actually I think its slighty less) is all that separates the engine weights. Thats only a small (very small!) adult. However the weight is over the front wheels but the VR6 handles it well. I would say the turns in aswell as but there aint much difference and my G60 is lowered, whilst my VR6 is standard and could do with a suspension overhaul.

Hope that helps and if I had to choose only one it would have to be the VR6. Its such a refined machine in comparison. Its all about what you want.

Hope that helps.

Timo.

Ok, now thats the kind of info I wanted.

I thought 300bhp with a bolt on supercharger was a bit good to be true! :)

I've had to tune my G60 carefully to keep the engine sound I do understand whats needed to tune an engine well.

How much in your opinon would the above mods on a VR6 cost?

Cheers

The standard blower configuration is only set to something like 7psi, which isn't a lot. The VR can handle it as the blower is centrifugally driven and the 6 combustion chambers soak it up quite nicely without needing cooling, although pinking can occur when flooring it in hot weather.

Forced induction needs to be done properly imo. If I were going to do it, I'd start off with a 3.0 bore with 9:1 CR forged pistons, then get a boost upgrade kit for the vortech and fit an intercooler. That's gonna take you to the wrong side of £5K........but quality, power and reliability as a package has never been cheap to implement.

It seems that a well maintained engine can handle the boost as long as the mapping is ok. I've been running my 8 psi z- engineering charger for 2 years and 25k miles with no reliability issues so I guess the engine can easily handle the boost.

I'd only consider doing a full rebuild using low comp pistons etc. if the engine let go. In terms of differences between a modified g60 and vr6, I think the g60 feels very good low down/mid range but lacks the top end power of the vr6.

I may be wrong, but I think the supercharger kit for a VR6 is more like £3K?

A standard VR6 is a more relaxed drive than a standard G60 and sounds better. That said, unless you're getting too old for the G60, stick with it...

If you have spent that much money on the G60 I think you would be daft to sell it and let someone else have the pleasure while your spending a small fortune again on a VR6...

Hi ya

I used to be a VW Tech at a Dealership in maidenhead so ive drived both cars (alot lucky me). I found the G60s fun to drive cos of the great noise they made but for outright torque and high speed driving the VR6 wins hands down. The only thing that the VR6 does falls down on is cornering cos of the extra weight in the front the car does tend to over steer, but nothing a set of coil overs and poly brushes wouldn't cure.

I'm going to go see the VR6 and hopefully get a test drive and see for myself.

having spent so much cash on the G60 and it being part of me now I don't think I'll be able to let her go. but.......lets see what the test drive does!

I do so love the G60 noise and it drives like a dream. Wish I had ABS sometime though!!!!! :shock:

cheers

The only thing that the VR6 does falls down on is cornering cos of the extra weight in the front the car does tend to over steer, but nothing a set of coil overs and poly brushes wouldn't cure.

Don't you mean understeer? The only time a FWD car will oversteer is if you've got shite tyres, knackered dampers, too big an anti-roll bar or just by being a bafoon in the wet.

VR6s don't understeer *because* of the engine weight, that's a myth and I've certainly not found my VR understeers - at all, unless *really* pushed in the wet. They understeer if you drive too quickly into corners, like any open diffed FWD car would.

K

Yep sorry you right no excuses i did mean understeer. Your proberly right but when it isn't your car your going to give it a dam good thrashing and probely drive like a bafoon.

:evil:

The trick with the VR6 is slllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwwww in.... then very, very, very fast out :lol:

Nope.

Pitch it in at speed to get the rear steering working then nail it. :twisted:

Your tyres don't last very long if you do this often, and it's important that everything is as it should be in the dampers/bushes etc...

The trick with the VR6 is slllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwwww in.... then very, very, very fast out :lol:

or in a G60 it's to enter the corner on 3 wheels and get out of the corner even faster! ;) :D :lol:

Nope.

Pitch it in at speed to get the rear steering working then nail it. :twisted:

Your tyres don't last very long if you do this often, and it's important that everything is as it should be in the dampers/bushes etc...

You'd need brass balls to do that on the road :lol:

Yeah, I agree with Mike, use a bit of trail braking, back end starts to step out then floor it. :twisted: Quaife helps big time with this. 8)

...Quaife helps big time with this. 8)

this I am still learning... and grinning like a loon all the while! ;) :D 8)