Sean

Corrado vr6 storm

Hi Guys

Looking for advice .......recently got my hands on a storm

Was planning a full engine rebuild / suspension/ full respray / the works !!!!

Firstly problems with electrics has being the main problem but They can be solved

But !!!! I have just relised the extent of the rust !!!

Needs two new sills

Wings

Parts of floor

Bumper supports

Few other places here and there

I really really love this car and always wanted a vr6 (not alone getting my hands on a storm) but am I wasting my time here on this one ??

Is this two much ??

We’re will the cost end ??

What to do ??

Any advice would be great

I know exactly how you feel, I bought a Storm a few years ago, turned out it had a lot of rust as well, most of the offside was rotten as was the windscreen surround. I was lucky enough to have a parts car(or 2)I could rob bits off to do the repairs, well above my skill set so I had to hire someone to do the panel work. I got the car fairly cheap(£1250+£250)shipping) so I wasn’t too put out with the welding costs which started at £300 but as the extent of the rust became clear that figure climbed to about the same cost as the purchase price. It’s currently sitting in the back of a very well respected paint shop patiently waiting on its turn, expecting a £2500 ish bill from them eventually .......I’m in zero rush so I’m not pushing them, plus I do have a red vr that I’m trying to get sorted myself (with friends help).

My advice is, if you plan to have it long term, look into the costs and see if you could buy a complete one, if so you might be best to do that and recoup what you can from yours, or if it’s viable, fix it :)

739C6807-32C4-4C92-BC7D-20C039AB78AD.jpg

Thanks for the reply

I see you have had the same problem 😀

So I’ve learned at least It’s definitely long term now after seeing yours

I think maybe I’l strip it completely first and get a quote on the fabrication

I keep thinking I will be kicking myself if I don’t follow true with this

Prices are rising so even if wanted to buy one in a few years mint what would you pay ???

And we’res the fun in that anyway

I’ll also get some pictures of mine up soon

👍👍

Hi Sean,

Sorry to jump on to your thread, but I'm in a similar position to yourself, but with an 80k mile VR6. The extent of the rot seems to be limited to the following:

Both doors (one could be repaired)

Tailgate (could be repaired),

Radiator Support Member (It's gone),

3 small patches on the floor, and may be wise to replace outer sills,

All steel work on front and rear bumpers

There is rust around the windscreen, and I think there is a little water getting in here,

Car also needs new brake discs, pads, (possibly calipers), suspension struts, and wishbones.

The car does have the following positive points though:

Completely original, with no accident damage (apart for rotten door)

Engine, gearbox, clutch and exhaust all seem to be working well,

Back end; wheel arches, fuel filler, rear panel appear to be rust free, apart for a localised hole right at the Corrado badge.

My plan is to spend the minimum possible to get it through an MoT, and then run it for a while to see if it's worth committing to improving it cosmetically. Currently sourcing parts, but having difficulty sourcing the Radiator Support Member. I noticed a thread on here a while back, where someone was looking at getting some stainless steel / aluminium parts made, but it didn't seem to come to anything. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me track down one in good condition.

Hey there

The more the merrier talking about this the better !!!

I really didn’t think it would be this hard to source parts

Since last night I’ve decided I’m gona torture myself and keep it😂...was really considering breaking the car

Has anybody replaced full sills on one???

Being honest there my biggest concern

I’d say the radiator support might be easy enough to come across??

Again I’m new to all this ......

Decent radiator supports are not easy to find, they are all getting on a bit and if it’s lived outside for 20 plus years then you’ll be lucky if it’s intact, never mind decent condition

I was pleasantly surprised to find out the number of parts are available through Volkswagen Classic Parts, but have just had confirmation from VW Heritage that; VR6 wings, outer sills, and the radiator support brackets are no longer available.

Just today received below from heritage!!!

Julian Car

Julian Carter (Heritage Parts Centre Ltd)

Jul 31, 08:52 BST

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Corrado sills centre section (no 12 in the attached diagram, part numbers 535809847 & 535809848) are unfortunately no longer available.

The end of the sill (the part which usually rusts) is included with the A-pillar panel (number 10 in the attached diagram) is still available for the right side only @ £52.60 inc vat and is in stock (part number 535809840A.

If you need any further assistance please let me know.

Kind Regards

Julian Carter

Heritage Parts Centre

http://www.heritagepartscentre.com | @driveheritage

Attachment(s)

Corrado sills.JPG

Hi Blue95,

Please put me on the list.

Preference would be to get one sympathetic to the original, but happy to go with something that can be made available, and will pass the MoT.

New on her, so not sure how to post links, but here is a thread from 2017, which listed some people that were interested in getting the stainless steel / aluminium unit that was being discussed at the time. They may also be interested in a possible alternative.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?96411-Radiator-support-Crossmember

Doors, bonnets and boots are plentiful and cheap, there's little point repairing them especially if you can find one in the correct colour.

I've personally driven 1000s of miles for parts for my projects.

There's a few breakers that will cut sections of shells to repair cars where off the shelf panels are unobtainable.

I have a shot blasted rad support for a VR6 in very good condition. I want £150 though. Pm me your email address and I’ll send some photos to you if you’re interested.

Cheers

Thanks for the link. Checked my wings last night, and they will need a similar repair.:thumbleft: