Hutty

Needed: Replacement OEM Stereo

I'm looking for an original Sony radio/cd for my '94 VR6. I realise there were several different models but I'm not fussed which. From reading previous threads it seems that they are hard to find so I'd even consider a Gamma 4 which I understand was fitted to some German Corrados.

Can't help with the Sony, but the Gamma IV is readily available on German fleabay - but the prices seem to have at least doubled in the last couple of years since I bought mine! Make sure you get one with the green lighting, as there was a later red/blue version, but the sellers seem to have this covered in their descriptions. You'll also make sure you get a code card with it to unlock it, as this can be a hassle otherwise.

IMHO the Gamma looks more factory than the Sony unit - pic in this thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?55703-fendervg-s-VR6-a-k-a-quot-The-Shark-quot&highlight=shark

The Nakamichi CD45 looked lovely as well until it was robbed. They come in green or amber.

I've picked a few spare Sony CD players up over the years (sorry not for sale) they are quite hard to find with green illuminations... most are orange... it was only one model Sony that came with dual illumination... it is possible to Change the illumination... it's just a green or orange cap covering the bulb inside the face plate.

Why do you want the Sony radio? I’ve got one in mine and to be honest it’s crap!! (As are the speakers!!) Having said that it looks original and if that’s what you want then fine, but I think the Gamma is a better unit to start with.

Of course sound is important, but I'm very keen to keep the car as original as possible. If the Gammas are better and easier to get hold of it seems my choice might be made.

I believe that cars destined for the UK and Ireland didn't come with radios fitted at the factory, and that the Sony units were an after market item locally sourced and fitted by the dealers themselves, whereas the Gamma was factory spec on the Continent and is branded VW - I have a German workshop manual that explains all the features of the Gamma IV, including the speed dependant volume control, phone mute and CD changer operation.

It's a relatively advanced head unit for its time, if not all that powerful, and it's still possible to get an aux in adapter for them that used the CD controls to operate an iPod/Phone or MP3 player.

The Nakamichi was always my favourite though as it had a CD player built in and was very high quality and powerful enough to drive an amp - but they've become very hard to source and are expensive when found.

I believe that cars destined for the UK and Ireland didn't come with radios fitted at the factory, and that the Sony units were an after market item locally sourced and fitted by the dealers themselves, whereas the Gamma was factory spec on the Continent and is branded VW - I have a German workshop manual that explains all the features of the Gamma IV, including the speed dependant volume control, phone mute and CD changer operation.

It's a relatively advanced head unit for its time, if not all that powerful, and it's still possible to get an aux in adapter for them that used the CD controls to operate an iPod/Phone or MP3 player.

The Nakamichi was always my favourite though as it had a CD player built in and was very high quality and powerful enough to drive an amp - but they've become very hard to source and are expensive when found.

I sourced a uk Gamma radio for my previous Corrado. It looked very good, however as it was from a Mk4 Golf, the backlight controls were blue, rather than green. I enquired re changing the lighting bulbs but was advised it was more involved as each bulb had to be changed. In the end I left it as it was.

Most of the Sony stereos from that period were actually labelled for Volkswagen Group on the cassette player flap so they were certainly a Dealer/Factory unit supplied by either Sony or VW.

Plenty of Gamma 4s on German ebay but all the cassette version. Can't see any like fendervg's single cd model. Don't really want the hassle of a changer in the boot so I'll keep looking.

They're extremely rare, and mainly found in the US - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEU-ORIGINAL-VW-GOLF-1-2-3-4-GAMMA-CD-RADIO-R32-GOLF-GTI-JUBI-GTI-/262288736673

That's for and ended auction - hope that final price is a joke!

I just have the cassette version in mine - looks nice and retro and less likely to get stolen and works well with either a changer or an aux input. Some people also put the changer unit in the glove box.

Just found a reference on some German sites, and the Gamma-CD is a bit of a special beast because it does not have an end-stage amplifier of its own and can only be used with VW's "Aktiv" powered speaker systems, which was installed in some cars of the era. Worth noting, as you don't want to shell out a lot of money for one and then discover that it won't work in your car.

Edited by fendervg

I found a European Nakamichi CD400 on eBay for £200. I think it dates from the early 2000's but it looks very 1990's and OEM. It has a green or orange display. There is one on eBay at present but it doesn't work and it is US frequency. Keep an eye out as they do come on ebay now and then.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nakamichi-CD-400-In-Car-CD-Player-Head-Unit-24bit-DAC/163261673983?epid=56197361&hash=item26032771ff:g:ExkAAOSweZJaA5Hf