mandipvirdi

Harsh jerk when changing gears

Hi all

Does anyone know what that jerk could be? It’s as if it’s an engine or gearbox mount.

I have searched for both mounts but there is so much variety out there I’m not sure what’s best to buy?

Also does anyone have any location pictures of the mounts?

I have to 2.9 16v engine.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Definitely worth replacing both engine and gearbox mounts. Personally I would go with VAG or equivalent rubber mounts before looking at poly ones if ti's a daily driver. Think about it, if they are original in there, they are going to be 25+ years old and well past their prime.

It's also worth bleeding the clutch system with new fluid to see if that helps.

Any motor factors or TPS, GSF etx. should be able to get hold of some quality ones. Look for Febi, Bilstein or Lemforder - the last generally being the best.

Here's a link from a supplier here in Ireland, someone on here should be able to point you in the direction of a good equivalent in the UK:

http://www.ottocarparts.com/shop/100538-engine-mounting-bracket

Any motor factors or TPS, GSF etx. should be able to get hold of some quality ones. Look for Febi, Bilstein or Lemforder - the last generally being the best.

Here's a link from a supplier here in Ireland, someone on here should be able to point you in the direction of a good equivalent in the UK:

http://www.ottocarparts.com/shop/100538-engine-mounting-bracket

Cheers Fender.

could you advise how many engine mounts there are? Is there one at the front and one at the rear?

and then a single gearbox mount too?

Is this a job that can be undertaken at home on the drive??

Thanks again.

There's 2 on the engine and one on the gearbox as far as I know - 16v might be different so worth checking with another owner, but I think it's the same as the Mk2 Golf.

It's not a difficult job, but you will need to get the car into the air securely, either on a lift or on axle stands and then have some way of lifting and supporting the engine and gearbox, either a hoist or a floor jack. The main problem is you might run into some stuck bolts that have seized.

If you have the space and the tools, it's not too difficult, otherwise any competent mechanic will be able to turn it around very quickly for a couple of hours labour.

The 2.9 standard engine is 12 valve, could be 24 valve if a better head has been fitted. I am willing to bet corpious amounts of money that the 2.9 engine you have is NOT 16 valve.

2 engine mounts front and rear of engine and one gearbox mount.

The 2.9 standard engine is 12 valve, could be 24 valve if a better head has been fitted. I am willing to bet corpious amounts of money that the 2.9 engine you have is NOT 16 valve.

2 engine mounts front and rear of engine and one gearbox mount.

Says, "1993 L Reg 2.0 16v Corrado." in his sig.

https://www.vwspares.co.uk/index.php

Had a decent service from these guys last week. I like their website as well, really easy to navigate with sub sections for each vehicle type.

Not Sure about the Topran brand but Febi is decent I believe.

Edited by mooG60

Hi all

Thanks for your responses and apologies for the delayed response.

I have now ordered all 3 mounts and just awaiting delivery - mooG60, I used the site that you recommended.

Will give you guys an update as soon as they arrive and I fit them!

Good luck with it.

I've had trouble getting the rear one done. The bolts are so seized we are worried about snapping the captive nuts on the sub frame. It's the sub frame out if they break, so go with caution.