Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Wheel advice...

...but not for a Corrado. My mum has an MX-5 (despite my best efforts to persuade her to get a VR6 that I can *cough* borrow), but she has the standard steel (and rusty at that) wheels that go with it. I know that she's looking at better wheels for it and I saw these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

They appear to be standard 4 stud 14" alloys (and the right tyres as well), but does anyone know if they need to be specific MX-5 wheels or not?

Her birthday's next month and I was considering it...

Cheers,

Tom

as long as the PCD is the same as mazda's and the offset also matches........then they should be ok........tbh i doubt they will but you never know

Do you know any easy way of finding out? The MX-5 is unfortunately 150 miles away, so I can't examine it. Also, could you explain PCD and offset please :oops: (I'm trying to learn :) )

Cheers,

Tom

PCD = the diameter of the circle around the center of the wheel which the bolt holes are in....

IE, VW corrados are either 4x100 or 5x100 which means that there are either 4 or 5 holes in a 100mm radius from the center of the wheel.... 8)

Offset is a little more tricky... it's to do with how far out/in from the center of the wheel the face you bolt the wheel onto sits relative to the rest of the wheel.... :? That's not a very good description, but I've just got back from the pub, so if you need, I'm sure someone else (sober! ;) ) will clarify soon... 8)

PCD is the Pitch Circle Diameter IIRC.......... in other words the spacing that the holes for wheel nuts/bolts are.....eg VW Corrado VR6 is 5(holes)x 100mm(space between holes) aka 5x100PCD Corrado 8v,16v and G60 are 4x100PCD

PCD = the diameter of the circle around the center of the wheel which the bolt holes are in....

IE, VW corrados are either 4x100 or 5x100 which means that there are either 4 or 5 holes in a 100mm radius from the center of the wheel.... 8)

Offset is a little more tricky... it's to do with how far out/in from the center of the wheel the face you bolt the wheel onto sits relative to the rest of the wheel.... :? That's not a very good description, but I've just got back from the pub, so if you need, I'm sure someone else (sober! ;) ) will clarify soon... 8)

i'm stuck with how best to describe offset too.....and i'm stone cold sober.....though a bit tired :roll: :oops: :wink:

Cheers gents, I shall keep searching for something more appropriate than those methinks... Thanks for expanding my knowlege on the subject, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Do you know any easy way of finding out? The MX-5 is unfortunately 150 miles away, so I can't examine it. Also, could you explain PCD and offset please :oops: (I'm trying to learn :) )

Cheers,

Tom

just phone your local Mazda dealer and tell them the year and model of MX5......tbh i reckon they'll(all MX5's that is) all be the same

Will do. I'm never going to get the packing done at this rate....damn! :) Procrastinating? Moi?

Cheers,

Tom

Just to resurect this post with a similar question :-) the rusty wheels have been replaced, however, I think they might fit on a Mk2 Golf (not mine). Can anyone with ETKA confirm the the centre bore for a Mk2 please?

Cheers,

Tom

gradeAfailure, thanks for that. That unfortunately means that the Mazda wheels will not fit. :roll:

Oh well, back to eBay :-)

Thanks again,

Tom

you could always take the wheels to a machine shop and have them take the centre bore out to the correct dimension if they're ones you really want?

The Maza centre bore is 3mm smaller than that of the Golf unfortunately.

gradeAfailure, if they were a set of mint alloys that I really wanted for mine, then I'd consider that, but it's just some tatty steelies that came from my Mum's MX5. I'm helping a friend do up a tatty 1.3 Mk2 as a cheap runabout for his good lady, and was idly wondering if we had to go to the expense of getting new tyres when it inevitably fails the MOT :-). It's been stood in a car park for 18 months, and so the rubber isn't in the best nick, however, as part worn tyres from the srappy are only £10, I think that's the best option... 8)

Cheers again for your help,

Tom

rosswalker, cheers, at least it's good to know they go the other way!

Suprisingly it didn't fail the MOT on the tyres...only on the brakes. :-)

Time for some fun this weekend...

Cheers,

Tom