paddy26

Corrado article on topgear

Great to see!

I don't understand some of the hate the corrado gets sometimes though, even from VW guys. No one is saying the corrado is the best car ever made but some people seem determined to knock it back

TopGear have traditionally liked the Corrado muchos. Jeremy Clarkson wrote reverentially about the VR6 back in the day. The magazine always gave it wins in group tests. Andy Wilman (producer of the show) did a feature on the last green Storm to role off the production line where he waxed lyrical about the car. This is freely available on YouTube (albeit the sound quality is poor). Then, possibly the most famous review, by Richard Hammond in around 2003 where he advised people to buy either a Corrado VR6 or a Mercedes-Benz 190 AMG 2.3/2.5. Again, freely available online.

Decent wee article, even though I don't like TG. Although I don't know what they mean by saying the non VR6 models are 'basically mk2 Golfs'.

Probably because they are A2 platform cars, same as the Mk2, and run 4 stud running gear - they are essentially correct apart from the body and interior - 16v engines and the 4 pot G60 lump were also used in the Golf. It's a bit stupid, but I guess it's supposed to highlight the evolution of the cars - the Mk1 and Mk2 Scirocos were both built on the A1 Golf platform. These days of course most manufacturers build a variety of models on the same platform - look at Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda and most others - for cost reasons.

It's only really the front subframe and axle that are different on the VR, they all use the A2 platform underneath the panels. The article in general is a bit 'primary school' considering who it's written by. It sort of trying to project that the VR is somehow more evolved or better when it isn't really.