Cressa

Ecu reset after a battery disconnect

Does anyone have a copy of the above WIKI topic. Mines about to go on the road, maybe, so I would.like to run it correctly on the way to its MOT soon

I've just MOTd mine last week after being off the road for almost 4 years. The MOT tester actually said the emissions were far better than most new cars, and i didn't do any of the ECU reset procedure so I'm not sure it makes much difference mate. All I had were a couple of warm ups at idle to bleed the coolant and check running, and about 4 miles of minor country roads and a quick blast and stomp on the brakes near the end to try to bed them in a bit. 

Wiki is gone for now, but I'll see if I can find a copy if I have it. To be honest, it's not really necessary, as all the values will be learnt again over time, and it's quite time consuming and difficult to do on normal roads. Disconnecting the battery will clear the stored values in the ECU, and then driving over the full range of the engine for 20-30 mins will sort all the adaptation anyway assuming all your sensors are working normally.

From memory:

- run engine to normal temp (stage 1 fan kicks in)

- disconnect battery for 10 minutes

- reconnect and drive car for 20 mins, in all gears, accelerating fully etc.

- connect VCDS/VAG.com to diagnostic port

- go into ECU module,  and hit "Basic settings" when fan is not running, leave it like that for at least a  couple of minutes (as it is in now in learning mode for the TPS) and the hit "go back" or "ok"

But as said above, it will learn all this and adapt with normal driving, apart from when you've replaced things like the TPS or MAF  - main thing is not to do it from cold. It's not even listed as a procedure in the Bentley (or at least I can't find it) and there's no way any dealer or mechanic was doing this every time the battery was disconnected, so the value of the procedure is debatable.  RW1 used to be the man on here for info on this kind of stuff.

Edited by fendervg

Here you go - courtesy of the Internet wayback machine! I  think I only had a print copy from before, so glad I found this. There's probably a few more bits of the old Wiki floating around there - should make this a sticky though - I'll see if I can post it in the engine forum as well.

vr6-ecu-reset.JPG

Also here:

Edited by fendervg