Cressa

Spark plug LEADs recommendations

Okay, so I have just got the ones I took off out of the box to measure.  I must be getting old as I noticed tiny writing on the ends and it they are Beru with the no. 030035255A

58, 71, 71, 87, 877, 98cm which means they are BERU ZEF1260 

The fit of these was perfect for my coilpack, 

So my choice is narrowed down to the ZEF1260 or the Bosch ones which cross reference this part no. 

If anyone wants these new 8mm ones as I am going back to 7mm

The extra mm or so in girth won't make your car go any faster, contrary to what some would want you to believe!

The coil pack leads are slightly shorter, but to be honest, not really noticeable fi you have the distributor ones on there instead, but you might prefer them just for a neat and tidy look. They also won't come with the centre lead for the dizzy.

Back in the day, any half-decent factors would have been able to make up a set of leads to your specification - it's not rocket science after all.

It might also be worth checking out any of the other makes of cars that were fitted with the coil pack VR, such as the Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra etc, and I think even some Mercs.

11 hours ago, culshaw said:

Culshaw, are you coil pack or distributor mate?

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Culshaw, are you coil pack or distributor mate?

coilpack

they come with cables for both IIRC. I have a spare lead which I don’t need

16 hours ago, culshaw said:

coilpack

they come with cables for both IIRC. I have a spare lead which I don’t need

Are any of your leads tight?

Interestingly I have contacted mr retro about the leads being short. His answer was that I have bought the wrong ones as I should have bought OBD2 leads as mine is coil pack... WTF.  So these are going back to him. 

Doesn't sound right - distributor ones are longer than coilpack as the dizzy body sits further away from the side of the head.

In any case, there wouldn't be any difference between OBD1 (all Corrado VRs are OBD1) and OBD2 with coil pack (as far as I know all OBD2 Golf AAA etc. engines are coil pack only).

This is how mine look, and a pic of the spare lead. Not tight except for the one that isn't needed.

I measured them up against the old leads.

C2DA912F-FE0D-4D23-A468-5AD0422B417A.jpeg

39F867C5-7B48-428B-9F0E-447562832800.jpeg

Edited by culshaw

On 9/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, fendervg said:

Doesn't sound right - distributor ones are longer than coilpack as the dizzy body sits further away from the side of the head.

In any case, there wouldn't be any difference between OBD1 (all Corrado VRs are OBD1) and OBD2 with coil pack (as far as I know all OBD2 Golf AAA etc. engines are coil pack only).

^^^ this

Leads are well made but when you put the metal clips on the ends they're very tight in the lead removal tool.  I mentioned this to him when i bought mine some years back but he said he's never had any issues from any buyers...yeah ok..

On 9/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, JonnyHull said:

FYI I've managed to buy some Beru leads. It seems they are still available for coilpack VRs but obsolete for earlier distributor VRs. Most places don't stock them unfortunately so they need to be back ordered from the manufacturer.

Beru part number ZEF1260.

What is the fit of these like? Reason I ask is the lengths these are the same as what is on the car, but on contacting suppliers they say I should have ZEF298 which are all 1cm shorter.  I'm cautious as the Mr Retro ones I sent back were too tight for my liking. 

I am coilpack 

And I need to get this little project to bed...

Edited by Cressa

I wouldn't get ZEF298 if you have a coil pack. According to Beru's data the distributor leads are shorter so it's not just ZEF1260 with an extra coil-to-cap lead. Apparently mine (dizzy) were quite tight to fit but I believe this was the plug end rather than length issues.

Original source: https://www.beruparts.eu/content/dam/marketing/emea/beru/catalogue/ignition-leads-connectors.pdf

Interestingly the same document doesn't mention ZEF1260 for Corrado at all ; only 2.8 motors from 01.94 on 🤷‍♂️

1260vs298-lengths.png

23 hours ago, Cressa said:

What is the fit of these like? Reason I ask is the lengths these are the same as what is on the car, but on contacting suppliers they say I should have ZEF298 which are all 1cm shorter.  I'm cautious as the Mr Retro ones I sent back were too tight for my liking. 

I am coilpack 

And I need to get this little project to bed...

I haven't actually fitted them yet as I'll be fitting along with some new plugs at the next service. So unfortunately I can't confirm for certain I'm afraid.

I'm fairly confident they'll be the correct length though as they are the exact same kit part number that I've fitted before and they were a perfect fit. Annoyingly I've currently got Bremi ones installed otherwise I'd post some pictures to show you how the Beru ones fit.

Apologies this probably isn't giving you the definitive answer you were after! 

Just throwing this in the mix. Slightly smaller than ZEF1260 and for coilpack models. And I have NGK plugs too, just a thought!!! Hmmm decisions..Screenshot_20201013-083903.jpg

20201024_160047.jpgUpdate time:-

So the beru were blowing my mind and I didn't want to get it wrong, so discounted these in the end

The Mr retro ones I had were too tight in my spark plug tool and one seemed too short. Credit to him I got a full refund

I took a chance and have purchased the ngk vw 201 set. £52 delivered from autodoc. First impressions, slightly smaller than the ones I had 20201024_155817.jpgbut definitely a neater better fit, with a quicker start up. Chunkier solid metal ends that fit the spark plug tool perfectly with the coil pack end having a positive locking click on fitting.100% Happy with them and would definitely recommend them for a coil pack Corrado