Coekie

Interior leak down A pillar.

Hi there I've got a a leak coming down the passenger A pillar but it's on the inside of the interior trim. It runs down the trim on the inside and then down between where the door closes to the passenger console side eventually settling on the passenger footwell at the front of the door. I have no idea what is causing this and not searches have proved fruitful. Any help would be much appreciated. 

James Campaign owner this sounds very similar to your 8V - his was rotten A pillar - if you search the threads he has documented and pictured in his findings. 

If its coming down the A pillar then it dont sound like the normal water ingress issues of blocked scuttle or failing airbox fan  gasket- also failed door card.  

Could possibly related to the sunroof drains - is there any signs of corrosion around the windscreen ? 

Edited by Keyo

Thanks for the reply that looks very interesting and I will give it a good read later. maybe I wasn't being specific enough. It's running down the A pillar but the initial water ingress appears to be near the roof. Maybe the sunroof drain I'm not too sure though. The usual leak I've had was from the scuttle. 

2 minutes ago, Coekie said:

Thanks for the reply that looks very interesting and I will give it a good read later. maybe I wasn't being specific enough. It's running down the A pillar but the initial water ingress appears to be near the roof. Maybe the sunroof drain I'm not too sure though. The usual leak I've had was from the scuttle. 

Have a look if the windscreen has the original glass stamp - if ever changed the window fitter could of took the paint off using the wire then over the years the dreaded happens water getting into the body work and then the orange peril starts eating away.  Run some water down the front sunroof channel and see if it exiting by the front wheel .  

Sunroof drains blocked or perished possibly. The drain fits onto a plastic spout on the corner of the sunroof tray, and this is a type of brittle plastic that can easily break. The water could be leaking at the sunroof and travelling down the outside of the tube.

Is there a large amount of water ingress, or does it build up gradually over time?

Rust/damage to the A-pillar or windscreen surround are also worth checking for - none of this is what you want to hear, and may make for nasty surprises lurking underneath, but you might need to strip as much of the interior trim as you can to get a better look.

Thanks for the reply Fendervg. The water ingress builds up over time and travels down between the door seal and the a pillar trim.

I've just put a hose over the roof and sunroof to try and get a better idea of how much is coming in but it the amount of ingress doesn't change whether it's a lot of water passing over or a little amount of water it always appears to be the same amount.

You should be seeing water coming out of the drain holes at the back of the front arches. and the rears.

If you open the sunroof you can actually just carefully pour water down the drain channel. One of those bendy drain cleaners a bass guitar string can be handy for clearing any blockages in the tube.

Thought I heard my name mentioned !

In addition to the above sound advice, is there any movement (up/down) in the door ? ( open the door and lift from the lower edge).

From what I’ve found, is that the lower hinge wears. Causing the door to drop.

Most owners adjust the door pin and think that’s okay. Problem is that over time (and a couple of adjustments) it creates enough of a gap near the a pillar for water to run down the inner seal and well up at the bottom. The seal has a change in moulding shape and this seems to be where water gets in. And over time rots the car from the inside out.

9 hours ago, James. said:

Thought I heard my name mentioned !

In addition to the above sound advice, is there any movement (up/down) in the door ? ( open the door and lift from the lower edge).

From what I’ve found, is that the lower hinge wears. Causing the door to drop.

Most owners adjust the door pin and think that’s okay. Problem is that over time (and a couple of adjustments) it creates enough of a gap near the a pillar for water to run down the inner seal and well up at the bottom. The seal has a change in moulding shape and this seems to be where water gets in. And over time rots the car from the inside out.

James i cut an n-shaped shim and placed it between the hinge and the frame.  About 15 years ago and it still seems to be ok with no apparent further sagging of the door.  Just loosened the bolt a bit, tilted the door and dropped the shim in there.

Hasan

That’s a good idea as the weight of the door can make removing a bolt/inserting a washer awkward. I tried the washer and it did help lift the door. Sadly I couldn’t test whether it helped stop the leak, as I’d had the windscreen removed the same week.

I don’t plan on installing the carpets till I’m certain though.