ABV-VR6

Any stereo to recommend for the Corrado?

I'm looking for a stereo, you know one that's appropriate for the Corrado...
I had my heart set on the new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 but after reading the newer reviews I don't think I will commit and it's pretty pricey too.
What do you mates have in your Corrado?
I think I like the style of the Nakamichi but I'm not sure which to pick, CD-400, CD-35 or? I like the style of those but I'm also hesitant as they are pretty old and still on the expensive side.
I like the older Blaupunkt but not sure on models.
Anyways, I'm just curious to see any recommendations you may have!
Cheers!

This has been covered pretty extensively in the past.

The UK cars were kitted out with dealer fit stereos - mainly Sony, so what was "original" to a UK car would not have been OE in the rest of Europe/US.  It depends on if you want modern features or that original retro look, and also on if you want the illumination to match.

I've had a Nakamichi 35Z (45X is identical but has line in) and they are nice, but OEM would have to be a VW Gamma IV - all the the Sony's/Gamma units are cassette decks with CD changer control  and can be modified for aux in and bluetooth.

There's also a VDO CD unit from the Hyundai Coupe that has green illumination and looks good that was mentioned in a thread recently.

Might be a good idea to add to the Wiki thread with a photo of each head unit in and out the dash and a quick list of the features and pros/cons..

Vote for Gamma IV here - same plastics as factory and great quality unit with green illumination same as dash . .

Pictures below of factory brochure and in my car. You can buy kits for these for bluetooth hands free etc.  They cam in Passats and other models  ran from around 95 to 99 I believe .  Hey Fen have you ever seen a Bose version of the Gamma 4. 

http://autoradio.vag.free.fr/new-page-2/volkswagen/gamma-iv-bose.html

gamma2.jpg

gamma1.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Love the "environmentally compatible"" bit! Didn't know that special plastics on the radio could help stop your windows fogging up - I thought that was just the sunroof/boot/door/heater leaking....

When I saw it first I thought that it might be that you could recycle the plastic.

image.jpeg.8d322776fa3cfc0beb6290c98c2e83d8.jpeg

This was a Nakamichi CD-35z that I used to have, watch out when buying these online as they come with both amber and green removable face platest and only some have RDS. Only the higher end 40/45 and CD400/500 have aux in, and some also have a remote control. The illumination is not dimmable btw.

image.thumb.jpeg.beffe96acae287ca95e333d60e0ebbfe.jpeg

This is the Gamma IV, same as what Keyo has above.  This has some nice features, 4x20w, CD changer control, greem dimmable lights, code protection and red anti-theft LED, telephone mute, speed dependent volume control (GALA) when connected to the the blue/white speed sensor signal and can be retrofitted with aux in, bluetooth or iPod adapter using the CD changer inputs - there's even a guy in Germany who retrofits a hardwired aux in cable with 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth 5.0 module for a pretty penny, which means you can retain the CD changer.

The cassette flap makes it a lot less attractive to thieves than a fancier unit - and you can even play you Awesome Mix Vol. 1!

There is an identical looking radio with blue/red illumination rather than the original green, so be careful to check this when buying.

• Thanks 1

bef8f6a570e0a1247bd6faf125b643cf.jpg

This is the VDO Hyundai CD/Radio unit (I think these were fitted to lots of different models) on top, Gamma IV on the bottom.

The VDO lights up green and has a CD player built in, and looks like it would suit the dash quite well - maybe the pre facelift ones more than the later cars, because it is a bit more squared off. It has a telephone mute, and can also take a CD changer, and there is a dedicated iPod module with cable, but I haven't got a line in working yet or fitted the unit to the car.

Hope all this helps - of course there are many older Blaupunkt units that would also work - the new one is nice, but too expensive for me and doesn't have CD changer control, which I think should have been there. Some of the older Becker units are also nice, but pricey. Note that VAG had a whole range of Beta 2/3/4 and Gamma 3/4 head units, so there's plenty to choose from.

2 hours ago, fendervg said:

bef8f6a570e0a1247bd6faf125b643cf.jpg

This is the VDO Hyundai CD/Radio unit (I think these were fitted to lots of different models) on top, Gamma IV on the bottom.

The VDO lights up green and has a CD player built in, and looks like it would suit the dash quite well - maybe the pre facelift ones more than the later cars, because it is a bit more squared off. It has a telephone mute, and can also take a CD changer, and there is a dedicated iPod module with cable, but I haven't got a line in working yet or fitted the unit to the car.

Hope all this helps - of course there are many older Blaupunkt units that would also work - the new one is nice, but too expensive for me and doesn't have CD changer control, which I think should have been there. Some of the older Becker units are also nice, but pricey. Note that VAG had a whole range of Beta 2/3/4 and Gamma 3/4 head units, so there's plenty to choose from.

Fen have you got a Gamma 3 stereo for sale mate for my Mk2 ? Or anyone else by chance. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Keyo

9 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I'm looking for a stereo, you know one that's appropriate for the Corrado...
I had my heart set on the new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 but after reading the newer reviews I don't think I will commit and it's pretty pricey too.
What do you mates have in your Corrado?
I think I like the style of the Nakamichi but I'm not sure which to pick, CD-400, CD-35 or? I like the style of those but I'm also hesitant as they are pretty old and still on the expensive side.
I like the older Blaupunkt but not sure on models.
Anyways, I'm just curious to see any recommendations you may have!
Cheers!

In the states. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Radio-Grundig-Beta-4-Pink-Floyd-Mk2-Golf-Jetta-2-GTI-Passat-Corrado-Scirocco/293720996060?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D882b1eedd20e4eafaa9629ed0d9c8d4b%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D264753056254%26itm%3D293720996060%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2386202%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598

Or if you are a millionaire. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Gamma-3-CD-US-model-357-035-196/254213965274?hash=item3b305545da%3Ag%3AawAAAOSwkhxcxb8z&LH_ItemCondition=4

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

Fen have you got a Gamma 3 stereo for sale mate for my Mk2 ? Or anyone else by chance. 

Cheers. 

Sorry Keyo - just have a spare Gamma 4 in case mine breaks, the VDO as an experiment and a Nak CD500 that I'm keeping for another car - none of them for sale at the moment.

When you say Gamma 3, do you mean the CD player version that only works with active speakers and has no on-board amp stage? To be honest, they look the part but are not worth the hassle as they are overpriced due to rarity and you need the matching speakers which were never that great to begin with and are likely tired or shot and past their sell by date at this stage.

No mate Gamma 3 Mk before IV- has dimpled buttons and is from around 88 - 94 - my car has a Blaupunkt Freiburg at the moment but is more 82 - 88 19E Mk2 age really and want to upgrade as my MK2 is a late model Big bumper so incorrect stereo.  

41 minutes ago, Keyo said:

No mate Gamma 3 Mk before IV- has dimpled buttons and is from around 88 - 94 - my car has a Blaupunkt Freiburg at the moment but is more 82 - 88 19E Mk2 age really and want to upgrade as my MK2 is a late model Big bumper so incorrect stereo.  

There seem to be lot of them all over eBay, especially .de, if you want to buy one.

You won't find many for sale in the UK as the cars shipped to the UK without a stereo, and the dealers would fit Sony/Panasonic units.

There's nothing wrong with the Blaupunkt Freiburg - is it the illumination that is not green? The stereo itself looks period correct. I wouldn't be spending a fortune on a cassette head unit - there's not many that would spot that it's not the correct one for the year, or even worse the ones that would know will tell you that the Gamma 3 was never available in the UK!

Hell, I think I even have a couple of factory radio DIN blanks with the VW logo and holders for the two plugs on the back stashed away somewhere - now that would be really authentic poverty spec from the 80s! That's the way they were sold here in Ireland.

I do like the Blaupunkt but the display is orange and faded - would like green to match the dash -  the blaupunkt windsor , london, Freiburg  etc all seem to have orange display.  I suppose I could put in another Gamma 4 as they are a great unit with matching display 

The gen three stereos tend to have 4 circular holes for release that gives away the age .  One day it will just be digital so probably worth getting the modern Bremen, 

This is mine . 

blauu.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Do like these Gamma units. Keyo - did you happen to notice if the Gamma 4 has an output from an Amp/Sub? I fancy putting something on the left handside of the boot to give a bit more oomph to the sound.

Just a nice to have really. I only really listen to the radio to be fair.

No, sadly they don't have an amp or line out - this you only get on far more expensive aftermarket units. I think you'll struggle to find an OEM head unit that has a line out for an amp.

The Gamma 4 has 4x20w output on the standard ISO speaker connector.

Thanks so much to you two for helping figuring something out, you mates are fantastic!

I do want an OEM look and these suggestions are all good.
Ideally I would prefer with CD, that CD Gamma is absolutely perfect but the price holly!
So that leaves me with the Nakamichis CD-35Z, CD-45Z, CD-400 for my top choice on a CD unit. Is there a way to tell which is red or green or you can only tell when they are plugged in?
That said, I like the Gamma III and IV as well. I don't know why but I think I prefer the III to the IV but maybe for a late spec Corrado the IV is more appropriate? Any thoughts on that?
The Blaupunkt Keyo has is very nice, with a green display I would go for something like that as well.
I was looking at the unit from the Golf City, it's a great unit if only the button were not red with a blue screen. It's pretty much a Gamma CD but here they go for $25!!!
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/pts/d/surrey-vw-2007-golf-city-stereo/7223457750.html
Cheers!

5 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks so much to you two for helping figuring something out, you mates are fantastic!

Ideally I would prefer with CD, that CD Gamma is absolutely perfect but the price holly!
So that leaves me with the Nakamichis CD-35Z, CD-45Z, CD-400 for my top choice on a CD unit. Is there a way to tell which is red or green or you can only tell when they are plugged in?
That said, I like the Gamma III and IV as well. I don't know why but I think I prefer the III to the IV but maybe for a late spec Corrado the IV is more appropriate? Any thoughts on that?
The Blaupunkt Keyo has is very nice, with a green display I would go for something like that as well.
I was looking at the unit from the Golf City, it's a great unit if only the button were not red with a blue screen. It's pretty much a Gamma CD but here they go for $25!!!
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/pts/d/surrey-vw-2007-golf-city-stereo/7223457750.html
Cheers! 

The Gemma 3 has dimpled buttons that match the early style switches in the dash and the gemma 4 has the same style as the lastee dash - you could buy a cd changer with the gemma 4 the complete package - you can still buy the loom for the cd changer etc. That is the way I would go chap.  Gemma 4 is also better quality then 3. 

Have look through these pictures cand codes. 

https://www.drive2.com/l/483207049056878663/

Edited by Keyo

7 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Cheers!

On the Nakamichis,, the 35/40/45 have different face plates for amber or green illumination - I think the only way to be sure is to check with the seller. The later CD300/400/500 let you choose the illumination style, but they don't look quite as good in the dash in my opinion as they are little more modern in design.

9 hours ago, Keyo said:

The Gemma 3 has dimpled buttons that match the early style switches in the dash and the gemma 4 has the same style as the lastee dash - you could buy a cd changer with the gemma 4 the complete package - you can still buy the loom for the cd changer etc. That is the way I would go chap.  Gemma 4 is also better quality then 3. 

Have look through these pictures cand codes. 

https://www.drive2.com/l/483207049056878663/

Thanks Keyo as usual! I've never seen them physically so it's hard to tell for sure from pictures but I thought the gamma 3 would be a better fit with the dimpled switches in the dash? I probably should follow your advice and go with the gamma 4 though... 

Cheers 

IMG_20200924_093640692.jpg

6 hours ago, fendervg said:

On the Nakamichis,, the 35/40/45 have different face plates for amber or green illumination - I think the only way to be sure is to check with the seller. The later CD300/400/500 let you choose the illumination style, but they don't look quite as good in the dash in my opinion as they are little more modern in design.

Thank you for your advice, I'll concentrate my search on the 35/40/45 models instead, I appreciate your inputs. They are pretty pricey and rare to find though so we'll see how it goes! 

Cheers! 

28 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks Keyo as usual! I've never seen them physically so it's hard to tell for sure from pictures but I thought the gamma 3 would be a better fit with the dimpled switches in the dash? I probably should follow your advice and go with the gamma 4 though... 

Cheers 

IMG_20200924_093640692.jpg

With the Bentley bible as a background. Nice 

Ha haa thanks! I figured it would be a background you mate's may recognize 😉. It seems like that bible is never too far from me 😁

I'm looking for an extra one of those btw! I could trade in my A/C switch panel if someone wants to attempt to make it happen 👍

IMG_20201101_142801404.jpg

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

With the Bentley bible as a background. Nice 

Ok ABV you win im not sure how many way the speakers are on a gamma 3 but its 4 way on a gamma 4 ,

I set you a challenge try and find this rare Gamma 3 released in the USA market with an aux which the standard do not have,

ggg.jpg

Edited by Keyo