Sprinter53i

MfG Chris - Reproductions from Germany

Just now, MJA said:

Yeah they are plastic. Fine by me though as never use my fogs and they're a fair bit cheaper.

i have covered mine over with some Hella covers 😉

3 minutes ago, MJA said:

Yeah they are plastic. Fine by me though as never use my fogs and they're a fair bit cheaper.

Wait for black Friday VXT might follow this seller in price reduction. 

Edited by Keyo

VX Tuning ones look better if you want to use them as fogs for sure. I think the plastic ones are an alternative to those plastic Hella covers

On 11/25/2020 at 2:00 PM, g0ldf1ng3r said:

no disrespect to the poster but as has been discussed previously the prices for fog lenses & headlights for example are astronomical!!! eg £300 for one side late fog light

they need to be much more realistic & not take the preverbial out of corrado owners

No disrespect for the poster but unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to be able to calculate.

If someone wonders why I avoid Facebook. It's comments like this.
Lots of people can build lots of parts, cheaper and better. Many people find a lot of parts too expensive.
Lots of people talk a lot. Unfortunately, they never show better quality or a cheaper price.
They want to drive an exclusive car for which there are no spare parts. They want the best quality. But they don't want to pay anything. That does not work.

But, Iet me explain the 10th time.
You think 600-700 € for a set of fog lights as good as new are too expensive? You think 800-900 € for a set of headlights as good as new are too expensive?

Fog lights:
A set of usable facelift fog lights with broken lenses, where it makes sense to renew them, costs around € 200.
New lenses from VX are $ 175 + shipping + customs. Around € 220.
Then comes the work:

Remove 2x glasses and glue = 1.5h
Repaint 2x housing = 1.0h
Replace 2x reflectors = 80 € + 0.5h
Build 2x new wiring harnesses = 1.0h
Glue in new glasses twice = 0.5h
Packing + writing an invoice + little things = 1.0h

Then subtract 12% eBay fees from the price, subtract 3% PayPal fees and 16% VAT from the price.

Headlights:

A useful set of facelift headlights costs around € 400.
2 x polishing glasses = 6h
Replace 2 x reflectors and recoat = 100 € + 0.5h
Repair 2 x minor damage = 1.0h
Packing + writing an invoice + little things = 1.0h

Then subtract 12% eBay fees from the price, subtract 3% PayPal fees and 16% VAT from the price.

Anyone who thinks the price is too high for this quality should perhaps buy a MK 2 or 3. The spare parts are cheap and available.

I don't want to have these conversations anymore.
My aim is not to sell as much as possible. My goal is to make the parts as good as possible.
If the parts are too expensive for you, simply don't buy them.

best regards
Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is the catch owning a Corrado that VW are not a great company for classic parts even though you would think so with the huge classic car industry and the free advertising it gives them . I sometimes look at E30 and have noticed you can get a set of Hella fogs for £60.00 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hella-Lighting-123581001-Fog-Lamps-BMW-For-88-91-BMW-M3/254773933443?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130048%26meid%3D7769c2ca3e3542b0842af0c7c68c8294%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D351229091212%26itm%3D254773933443%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b%26brand%3DHella&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 

Pair of aftermarket wings  for £160.00 - it is possible to manufacture cheaper but one would have to find a larger manufacturer straight to the core. I do appreciate that this is not an easy thing to do but they are out there - especially in the UK and any other car manufacturing nation. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-E30-1983-1991-Front-Wings-With-Indicator-Hole-Left-Right-Pair-of/254787610480?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE30&hash=item3b52866770:g:OrsAAOSwI45d1Wj-

Edited by Keyo

I think part of the problem is that the total number of Corrados produced was relatively low - so there is a small market/demand (even though there is plenty of demand among present owners) so it is difficult to justify the large tooling costs for a small run as the end price would be too high and the enthusiasts then start complaining about the cost without being aware of what's involved, even for Classic Parts/Heritage, never mind a private business.

There was never really much available in terms of aftermarket panels and parts either compared to the likes of the Mk2/Mk1/Classic Beetle. Added to that a huge number of items come with the dreaded Corrado specific 535/536 prefix on the part number, especially body, trim and lights and are not interchangeable with other models.

The big problem for me is that you can't get the panels and parts needed to repair your car if you've been in an accident or had a break in - and that leads to trouble with insurance and write-offs of cars that shouldn't be written off.

The problem is we’re all hoarders so the parts are around but not available to people who need them, I’m as much to blame as the next man 

All of the above . 

has anyone ever put an enquiry into Hella to remake the lights - list of names like the scrapers - they may still have the tooling - I purchased x 2 new hella  H4 headlights for the mk2 last week for  less then  £100

Just now, Keyo said:

All of the above . 

has anyone ever put an enquiry into Hella to remake the lights - list of names like the scrapers - they may still have the tooling - I purchased x 2 new hella  H4 headlights for the mk2 last week for  less then  £100

You can’t compare Mk2 prices as there are more of them left in the uk than Corrado’s were sold in the first place. 

29 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

You can’t compare Mk2 prices as there are more of them left in the uk than Corrado’s were sold in the first place. 

That’s not really my point tbh just saying that Hella still make classic lights and still may have the tooling has anyone ever asked - I have Spares so no issue to me tbh . 

Sort of thing you like to see the Corrado club gb been proactive about - join up petitions with other clubs and social media and get a big list of names and then send an accompanying email to hella - probably better chances with them then vag . 

Edited by Keyo

It's worth a try - but tooling up for a run of 500 is much less tempting and cost-effective than for 5000 for the supplier - that's assuming they have the moulds still.

As far as I remember the Mk2 lights for the big bumpers were separate discrete units like the early Corrado ones, the late fog light unit has the lamp integrated into a fairly complicated housing. Many other manufacturers just used off the shelf fog units, hence these are cheap and easily available.

There's a thread on this forum somewhere discussing about the later type fog light units, basically the later type fogs are a licensed VW part, so aftermarket companies are not permitted to make them. I'm not sure about the headlights but I've never seen them selling from aftermarket companies, I've only ever seen headlight lenses listed with GSF many years ago now. The actual headlight units might be a licensed part like the late fogs, as like I say I've never seen any aftermarket ones.

I've seen aftermarket rear lights many times, wing indicators and front indicators, and seen clear lens front fog light units for sale complete with chrome clear indicators a few years ago on Amazon. But never ever seen any new aftermarket headlight units, as far as I know the headlights were only ever available from VW main dealerships or VW Classic Parts, and the same with all the body panels.

Si

I think you'll find that the cost of making or reproducing complete late fog or headlight units would be prohibitive in small numbers - usually what happens is that the companies that make the original ones under license for VW, will buy the tooling and license the design after a number of years (used to be 10, might be 6 now) and start making copies or "after market" ones - more or less identical in design and quality to the original. 

Another problem for the Corrado is that a lot of tooling (for example the wing presses) were held by Karmann, rather than by third party manufacturers, which could explain the problem.

In order to get a good / perfect and legal replacement especially for the fog lights and head lights, a cooperation with Hella or at least InPro is absolutely necessary.

They have the molds, they have the licenses and they have the know-how. But I think they are not interested, unfortunately.