ABV-VR6

Timing Chains and stuff

I'm in the process of sourcing all the parts for the chains job. I contacted my VW dealer today to find out that half the parts needed are NLA. Originally VW (according to 7zap) used IWIS and Sachs. Now looking at eBay I see Febi, SWAG, JP group and a bunch of other AM manufacturer... What do you mates use? Any brands in the aftermarket preferred? Any kit on eBay that are worth buying?

Thanks for helping out! Cheers

Febi Bilstein seem to have a good name but would avoid JP Group. I had a MAF sensor from them and we found it gave really strange readings on the rolling road.

Topran also crap! 

I have used Meyle HD stuff which seemed quite good but have seen mixed reviews on forums.

10 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I'm in the process of sourcing all the parts for the chains job. I contacted my VW dealer today to find out that half the parts needed are NLA. Originally VW (according to 7zap) used IWIS and Sachs. Now looking at eBay I see Febi, SWAG, JP group and a bunch of other AM manufacturer... What do you mates use? Any brands in the aftermarket preferred? Any kit on eBay that are worth buying?

Thanks for helping out! Cheers

Hello there,

there's some good advice on this thread below from 2018. Link attached.

Also I think VW Heritage do the Febi timing chain kit for roughly £307  And like you say there's others on Ebay which you'll probably have to double check where they're selling from, as mentioned in the above link.

Hope this helps

Si 

Thanks to you two!
For sure I won't install anything cheap or chinese and I agree and stay away from JP Group or Topran.
When buying after market parts, I stick with Mayle, Febi, IWIS, Victor Reinz... Never heard of SWAG before looking into this?
That said, I've ordered parts from Meyle that were made in Germany and I bought Sachs, Febi, Hella that were made in China...

Obviously I don't want to cheap out on something that important...  It looks like aside from the chains and the upper slide rail, I can get everything else from the dealer. I just don't know if I should source those 3 from Febi or IWIS let's say and mix them with the VW OEM stuff or just get a full kit Febi.  Is it ok to mix, should I stick with just one brand?

Use a MK4 top tensioner and bolt. Perfect fit, more reliable, much more readily available, cheaper and apparently help quieten things down a bit. Think the details are in the wiki

10 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Use a MK4 top tensioner and bolt. Perfect fit, more reliable, much more readily available, cheaper and apparently help quieten things down a bit. Think the details are in the wiki

Yes very good upgrade Stealth uses this on every chain renewal including my own car. Stealth also uses the Febi chain kit. 

Edited by Keyo

I did sourced a MK4 tensioner bolt, it's the only part I have so far!
So from what I can see, I have two options:

-One, i get a full Febi kit
-Two, I get all the bits and parts OEM VW from the dealer  and combine this with IWIS chains. IWIS was the manufacturer for VW chains so it should be good?

Thanks for helping as usual!

I was going to order from a seller in Germany as he has the newer version of the kit. It's a mix between OEM VW and Febi and the price is right but it's back ordered as of this weekend!

14 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I was going to order from a seller in Germany as he has the newer version of the kit. It's a mix between OEM VW and Febi and the price is right but it's back ordered as of this weekend!

Have you got a link please?