Cressa

288mm brake upgrade additional comments

Hi all, for now please post any additional comments in here and I will add to the proper thread. I have had to stop as I seem to have exceeded the picture limit !! So will contact Toby hopefully for a solution.

I think I will write each part and add the pics later 

If anyone thinks adding part numbers would be beneficial or anything else let me know. Just trying to give something back 😇

MK4 Golf 288s callipers and carriers are identical to MK3, both newer and more plentiful, 1.8T, 1.9tdi PD 130 and 150 bhp. Golf, Bora, Octavia, Leon, Toledo, A3 (TTs all have 312mm fronts)

I'm going to try MK4 288mm disks (the offset differs to the MK3) and 6mm spacers (often used for the 312mm conversion) to see if they give better clearance.

25 minutes ago, Dox said:

MK4 Golf 288s callipers and carriers are identical to MK3, both newer and more plentiful, 1.8T, 1.9tdi PD 130 and 150 bhp. Golf, Bora, Octavia, Leon, Toledo, A3 (TTs all have 312mm fronts)

I'm going to try MK4 288mm disks (the offset differs to the MK3) and 6mm spacers (often used for the 312mm conversion) to see if they give better clearance.

I think I have a genuine set of those discs in the garage. Had them years, so need the surface rust cleaning off.  You can have them for the postage if you want. I can post up a pic

I was going to use an old disk off a breaker and do a dry fit to see if my theory is correct (I already have a ne pair of MK3s).

The write up looks good, those 280s look in vgc and would sell easily to recoup some of your outlay? 

2 hours ago, Dox said:

I was going to use an old disk off a breaker and do a dry fit to see if my theory is correct (I already have a ne pair of MK3s).

The write up looks good, those 280s look in vgc and would sell easily to recoup some of your outlay? 

Be nice to sell the 280s 👍. If you change your mind , the offer of sending the mk4s is there. 

I will add your info to the end of the thread. I need to look at adding the torque settings to some of the fittings. Having a rest now so should finish writing it tomorrow 😁

I've PM'd pics torque settings from Bentley and Haynes for MK4.

Bentley get touchy about reproducing their images, Haynes less so

2 hours ago, fendervg said:

This is an old thread, but may be of help:

Quality that 👍. I will pinch the part numbers and add to this, if that's ok

Cool - you might need to cross-check some of them as they may have changed or been superseded. I know ATE still sell the 288mm Mk3 VR6 front discs anyway.they even have anti-corrosion coating.

I think I have nearly finished the write up. I shall add the part numbers tomorrow,  so thanks for those. 

I think I need to add the wheel bolt torque too, but let me know your thoughts on it 😇

Good work, Cressa.

I got Golf MK3 stainless lines from HEL Performance when I did this upgrade.

HEL told me the MK3 and MK4 288mm calipers had different thread pitches for the banjo bolt: I've only seen MK3 calipers, so its something we need to check out...

9 hours ago, Philly-R6 said:

Good work, Cressa.

I got Golf MK3 stainless lines from HEL Performance when I did this upgrade.

HEL told me the MK3 and MK4 288mm calipers had different thread pitches for the banjo bolt: I've only seen MK3 calipers, so its something we need to check out...

Don’t know about the HEL set but my Goodridge set was delivered with two pairs of banjo bolts to cater for this.

Does this also explain the difference we’ve seen in clearance between calliper and rim? One of the calliper variants having a larger body than the other, I’ll have to bolt a few bits back on the car to check but the clearance on mine is <3mm as there’s no way a balance weight will pass!