_Matt_

3 in 1 Tilitng car lift

Hi,

Has anyone got one these in their garage, or anything similar? I'm considering this alongside the quickjacks lift and possibly one of the automotech scissor lifts but they're quite expensive and I could get an air compressor for the difference in price! 

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product/3in1-tilting-adjustable-car-lift-1-5-ton-cl01/

My worry about this lift is that the others have rubber blocks to lift on the factory jacking points whereas this tilting lift appears to rest along any section of the pinch welded sills which are not factory jacking points. To be fair it does appear to spread the load wide but I don't want to crush my pinch welds... 

The big advantage of this lift over the more expensive options is that it can be positioned to work either end of the sills.

Cheers

Matt

I like the idea of it, especially for winterizing your car and taking the wheels off.  

Would it lift higher than using normal ramps

It does seem pretty good but one issue i've noticed is if you have a single garage like me (3.3m wide) i think you'll struggle to get it underneath.

Here's a vid - you can get one end of the car up by 1.5m (go to 4:20 on the vid) by the looks or balance it on axle stands to get all 4 wheels. 

I'm still not sure about it lifting on the pinch welds, or as in this video inboard of the pinch welds. But I suppose it is better than lifting through the 2x2in lifting point of a jack.

I like that and considering the length of the load bearing surface it's pretty well spread so shouldn't cause any problems, look at the two post lifts that support the car on four rubber pads for example.

I do have the feeling that my splitter would be eating the dirt when it's first lifted at that angle though!

As an alternative, if you've got the garage headroom there are often four post lifts on eBay for around the £500 mark, although unless you're lucky enough to have a three phase incomer you'd have to look out for a single phase model. I have a double garage but it currently has a flat roof so it's a none starter but am considering putting a pitch roof on to create me a lifting area plus a storage area in the attic space at the other side...just need the additional budget now.

Edited by tonedef

Made my decision and bought a set of these. BIt more than I wanted to spend but I was able to pick up from their warehouse 10 miles from house so that swung it. As my garage isn't that wide or tall I wasn't going to get the benefit of a fixed scissor lift or have the space to slide the 3 in 1 tilting lift under my car. 

https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Vehicle-Lifts/Scissor-Lifts/Kwik Lifts and Accessories/e4g-kl2500AC-portable-kwik-lift-ac220v

2 hours ago, MJA said:

Made my decision and bought a set of these. BIt more than I wanted to spend but I was able to pick up from their warehouse 10 miles from house so that swung it. As my garage isn't that wide or tall I wasn't going to get the benefit of a fixed scissor lift or have the space to slide the 3 in 1 tilting lift under my car. 

https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Vehicle-Lifts/Scissor-Lifts/Kwik Lifts and Accessories/e4g-kl2500AC-portable-kwik-lift-ac220v

That is a posh purchase 👍

I’m interested to see how you find it....... I’ve been toying with a similar purchase for a while, got to say that fear of it falling on me is the main reason for any reluctance.

I’d love to raise the roof a bit to allow a proper 2 post ramp but I fear the Council will not allow a decent height gain 

Yeah I had to go for something like this becuase of the garage height too. I wanted a scissor lift really but they are £5-600 more and I'd not use the full lifting height.

Here's a test of overloading the 2.5 tonne up to 4.7 tonnes 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtG3o2yUH1M

I'd put some tyres and probably axle stands if i was working under there just incase! I hate working solely under axle stands and especially hate jacking the car and balancing it on axle stands - especially at the back of the Corrado (&mk2) - the place i jack is usually where i went to put the axle stand.

I was once was 1 cm away from been crushed by a monster 1.8 ton Tiger tank R129- they have these horrid round holes that the factory jack slides into  on the sills- unless the floor is perfectly flat the jack spits out of the hole  - was changing a monobloc and it landed on the brake disc cover and left a nasty gash in the tarmac and the car slid forward about 2 foot - never again.    Hate having a sloped drive -  I always have a wheel and tyre now as a dead stop , also have a proper trolley jack - but will not work under my car because of sloped drive. Hopefully garage will be allowed but now full blown appeal stage. Been scaffolding all my life but no was the floor I nearly lost it. 

Edited by Keyo

Jesus yeah easily done and that was the issue at my last house - driveway slope. Incredibly frustrating when you just want to crack on but just not worth it! This is partly why i wanted a lift system. I cba to mess about with axle stands at each corner but I will use axle stands or wheelstands under the wheels in conjunction with this lift if I am working under there.