ABV-VR6

Chip Tuning?

Hello mates,
I recently made the purchase of 268 cams and will be upgrading to a MK4 head gasket which will slightly change the compression.
Here in Canada, no companies make a chip for the ABV engine.
What do you guys run for chip tuning to maximize your setup?
Cheers!

7 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Hello mates,
I recently made the purchase of 268 cams and will be upgrading to a MK4 head gasket which will slightly change the compression.
Here in Canada, no companies make a chip for the ABV engine.
What do you guys run for chip tuning to maximize your setup?
Cheers!

we have a little company called Stealth Racing over here in the UK

Vince hacks into the OE ECU & then remaps them on the rollers as the VR requires a live mapping, rather than a static map such as can be uploaded on more modern cars

sorry this doesnt help you much over in canada but it may give you a lead to hunt down somewhere over there who could do the same

I was just going to suggest Vince myself. I wonder if it is worth contacting him to see if he can do something on your ECU if you sent it to him, perhaps by putting it in a similar spec car and tuning it on the side of caution as I guess where you are you'd have to travel a long way to get the car rolling road tuned assuming you can find someone who can do it on these older cars.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

thinking about it i dont believe you can even load a static map on the VR chip, it has to be hacked & roller mapped

thus only other route would be to run a piggy back stand alone chip - which i would be very hesitant at doing as it will likely cause running issues

Are you running a Euro ECU, with Euro firmware, or the normal version used on SLCs? AFAIK they are quite different and the petrol maps are handled differently. There's also a difference in base code for the ECUs that support OBD2. There are a couple of articles on VWVORTEX about the differences between the Euro and NA version. Just don't have access to my laptop right now.

Thanks to all of you! 

Bruno, it is an Euro ECU as I imported the car here. That's why after reaching out around me and realizing no NA chip would work out that I found myself in this situation... 

I wonder if Vince at stealth could do something if I was sending him out my ECU? I can't do dyno obviously but like it was mentioned, it could be adjusted on the cautious side.

So does everyone goes to Stealth or there's also a brand of chips that's renown in Europe that you can solder yourself just like the ones you can get here? 

Cheers 

There is only Vince I know of still mapping his own chips for the oem ecu in the UK. All others I spoke to would run a stand alone for tuning. 
I have his chip in my OBD2

I would imagine he would be able to copy an existing map for the cams onto a chip but the altered compression may throw that off. Give him a call or send him an email 

Just thinking the Schimmel cams are Stateside so I'd have thought there was someone (if not just Schimmel) doing a similar remap service as Stealth to go with them. Perhaps worth talking to Bill at Schimmel for a bit of advice - he might be able to offer something a bit nearer?

Oh ya, Schimmel might be a good option, I'll contact him thanks!
The thing is, I already contacted the major chip makers here but they are all mapped for a AAA engine not the ABV and no one can help me here.
At this point I'm leaning towards 3 options.
1) No chip at all and I may just not unleash the potential of my setup.
2) Ask Vince if he can do something remotely
3) Going stand alone which is something I'm starting to lean towards...

Thanks to you all, I'll report back when I know more! Cheers