Sign in to follow this  
timatsorted

BMC air filter upgrade

Hi guys.

I was thinking of getting a K&N 571 induction kit fitted to my VR6 but I was told by Stealth Racing that oiled filters sometimes cause problems (something about affecting sensors?) They recommended a new product: the BMC CDA which they'd supply and fit for around £185.

Thing is, this is more than I'd wanted to pay so I wondered how easy it would be to fit the BMC myself if I could get the part cheaper. I'm soooo not a mechanic so it would have to be very straightforward!

Demon Tweeks stock two types of BMCs (at between £155 and £170) and they've asked me what diameter induction pipe is on my car. I don't know - can anyone tell me?

Also, any thoughts on the oiled filter/problems thing, and might I get a BMC any cheaper than DT's price and how easy it would be to fit?

Cheers!

i dont think demon tweeks sell them for the corrado vr6,but they list them for the golf vr6,but they will fit,have you thought about the turn2 cold air induction kit??http://www.turn2usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=t2_a3vrcai

I have a BMC CDA fitted too mine, it does make a difference, its not that hard to fit i could show u some pics if u wanted.

Its a 80mm diameter, its not a straight fit and will need a small bit of samco style hoseing inbetween the MAF sensor and Airfilter. If you buy it from stealth they supply this. if ya dont, i have some spare you could have.

If ya need any pics or any more advice just say/

It is loud at wide open throttle.

Below 4000 rpm it's quiet. Not quite stock quiet but nothing like as loud as a crappy K&N 57i.

How do you get on with that K&N panel filter? That's a straight replacement filter only, without the induction kit, right? Any sound or performance difference at all?

The panel filter simply replaces the paper filter inside the airbox. It will supposedly provide a slight increase in power over the paper filter. I have never run the car with the standard filter so I can't testify to this. Induction noise is also said to increase very slightly.

An induction cone on the other hand can be quite civilised so long as you have a light right foot but bury the throttle and the car will make a *lot* of noise, especially as the revs climb over 4,000rpm. I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of the car.

When I bought my car, it had an ITG induction cone on it. I thought it was great but then the novelty wore off after a couple of months and it started to get on my t^ts.

The previous owner also supplied the std airbox but it had been modified by drilling large holes in the bottom half. I decided to fill the holes using fibreglass one night after I'd been out at the pub. On waiting for the fibreglass to set, I fell asleep and glued my hands (luckily in gloves) to the table and my head missed the resin by a fraction!! Could have been a total disaster!!!

Anyway, enough digressing. I noticed no performance loss at all when switching from the cone to the panel filter. Others claim to notice a slight difference but it wasn't apparent on my car.

The car runs much more smoothly and idles a lot better too (although not perfectly).

The panel filter simply replaces the paper filter inside the airbox. It will supposedly provide a slight increase in power over the paper filter. I have never run the car with the standard filter so I can't testify to this. Induction noise is also said to increase very slightly.

You'd have to be a real petrol head and know your car intimately to detect the difference between paper and K&N panel filter. There is a very small difference, but only 1 or 2hp at the most. The BMC CDA has given 7bhp on Stealth's rollers though.

An induction cone on the other hand can be quite civilised so long as you have a light right foot but bury the throttle and the car will make a *lot* of noise, especially as the revs climb over 4,000rpm. I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of the car.

Yeah I can't stand induction noise, especially after I've spent a month and a small fortune installing some hi end audio into the car. It's cool for a little while and giving it the odd squirt round town to impress the kids, but on a daily commute, it's feckin annoying!

The previous owner also supplied the std airbox but it had been modified by drilling large holes in the bottom half. I decided to fill the holes using fibreglass one night after I'd been out at the pub. On waiting for the fibreglass to set, I fell asleep and glued my hands (luckily in gloves) to the table and my head missed the resin by a fraction!! Could have been a total disaster!!!

That is hilarious :lol:

The previous owner also supplied the std airbox but it had been modified by drilling large holes in the bottom half. I decided to fill the holes using fibreglass one night after I'd been out at the pub. On waiting for the fibreglass to set, I fell asleep and glued my hands (luckily in gloves) to the table and my head missed the resin by a fraction!! Could have been a total disaster!!!quote]

rofl :lol:

would have loved to have seen you waiting in A&E with your head attached to a table :D

I did see the funny side of it. But it was really scary waking up being glued to the table!!! Just goes to show that drinking and car maintenance do NOT mix :wink:

It was the way you told the story and calmly said "Anyway, enough digressing..." that cracked me up ! I love dry humour...... :lol: :lol:

Most of my car work is done when I'm drinking or drunk......seems to work out with me though. You clearly can't drink and mod :D

It is loud at wide open throttle.

Below 4000 rpm it's quiet. Not quite stock quiet but nothing like as loud as a crappy K&N 57i.

Its really not that loud, and the sound it does make is nice, I really think my Magnex/BMC combination is not much louder then standard parts.

Your have to have a go, think u will be surprised.

Pm sent too: timatsorted

PMSL :D

Id really like to know if anyone rates the Carbonio induction kit? Has anyone fitted one of these and got good results? Was thinking of getting one just to be different, as so many are going for the BMC and really rate it!

Supposed to be a good bit of kit, although I haven't experienced one first hand. Similar design to the Turn2 kit, although it's made out of carbonfibre. Would think it is defo louder than the BMC though, as it's an open cone.

Ive heard its not that much louder as its tucked away in the wing somewhere.

It definitely lengthen the intake track !

Anyone fitted one of these ?

I recently bought a vr6 and the previous owner had already fitted a K&N cone. I'd be interested to know if its worth paying another 180 odd quid for a BMC kit if the sound is more understated... I do quite like the roar as i accelerate heavily but i'm getting fed up with the dirty looks.