kickyou73

Average Corrado values

Hi all,

While trying to work out if the car was worth spending out on a respray I recorded all the sale prices, mileages, general condition (rough guide based on photos) of all Corrado's I could find for the past 6 months. This came to 28 Corrado VR6's, 9 of which were Storms. I then averaged everything out to the values below. Hope this helps anyone buying or selling.

Corrado VR6: Average year = 1994 Average mileage = 132,246 Average condition = 6/10 Average price = £9,027

Corrado VR6 STORM : Average year = 1996 Average mileage = 129,405 Average condition = 8/10 Average price = £16,250

Corrado's.xlsx

19 minutes ago, kickyou73 said:

Hi all,

While trying to work out if the car was worth spending out on a respray I recorded all the sale prices, mileages, general condition (rough guide based on photos) of all Corrado's I could find for the past 6 months. This came to 28 Corrado VR6's, 9 of which were Storms. I then averaged everything out to the values below. Hope this helps anyone buying or selling.

Corrado VR6: Average year = 1994 Average mileage = 132,246 Average condition = 6/10 Average price = £9,027

Corrado VR6 STORM : Average year = 1996 Average mileage = 129,405 Average condition = 8/10 Average price = £16,250

Corrado's.xlsxUnavailable

Hidden

I think you’ll see most going for a good spray job are generally fetching north of £10k. Interior and the under side play a part too of course  

Cars with rust or/and lacquer peal south of £6

Nice piece of analysis. However I think you'll always be out of pocket if you restore one. 

Full Paint + bare metal + welding on the lower sections  is going to cost you £7500-9000. If you can get away with just the sides then 4-5k

Underside restoration could be £2-6k depending what is needed.

All new running gear - bearings, brakes, shocks, bushes is going to be 2500 + fitting

150k + corrado VR6s are are borrowed time so factor in an engine rebuild - £4k

You're basically looking at £15k - £25k to restore one + buy it. Paint + fabrication is the killer. There was a great green rado with 190k on it that had a bare metal job up for £10k. That would be have been a clever buy.

Edit - if looking for one to restore find one with recaros or at least black leather. Cloth will pin it back value wise. Mileage is a bother to people who don't understand what restoration means so probably best to err on the side of caution and go for a low mile car (that ironically will need almost the same work anyway). 

Edited by MJA

2 minutes ago, MJA said:

Nice piece of analysis. However I think you'll always be out of pocket if you restore one. 

Full Paint + bare metal + welding on the lower sections  is going to cost you £7500-9000. If you can get away with just the sides then 4-5k

Underside restoration could be £2-6k depending what is needed.

All new running gear - bearings, brakes, shocks, bushes is going to be 2500 + fitting

150k + corrado VR6s are are borrowed time so factor in an engine rebuild - £4k

You're basically looking at £15k - £25k to restore one + buy it. Paint + fabrication is the killer. There was a great green rado with 190k on it that had a bare metal job up for £10k. That would be have been a clever buy.

I have been costing out everything for mine which is pretty much all of the above and I think you are spot on with the estimates and at some stage every Corrado will need all of the above.

It's hard to justify the cost which is why I tried to work out the cars value and on paper it still does not make sense to do a full restore unless you are luckly enough to own a low mileage Storm.

14 minutes ago, Keyo said:

You cant generalise - I would put by my car against any Storm and other member cars on here and they would win hands down. 

Why do people smack a golf ball with a club - why do people sit next to river dangling some line in the water- because its a hobby and they enjoy it and this is good for the soul. 

You need to flush that calculator and account sheet down the toilet mate or your in the wrong game. 

I only collected the stats in a way of trying to justify the spending to the wife! It was not meant to suggest a Storm is in any way better than the normal VR6 (as really it's just a couple of badges).... But based on the cars I looked at people do still seem to want more money for them.

3 hours ago, kickyou73 said:

I have been costing out everything for mine which is pretty much all of the above and I think you are spot on with the estimates and at some stage every Corrado will need all of the above.

It's hard to justify the cost which is why I tried to work out the cars value and on paper it still does not make sense to do a full restore unless you are luckly enough to own a low mileage Storm.

I know the costs because I've done it on mine over 4 years. It still needs more work sadly the bodyshop didn't get one of the repairs quite right. That is half the battle - finding decent people to do work you can't. The more you do yourself the more you save.

I gave up trying to justify mine to myself and wife. She still raises any eye brow and it does come up in arguments... made worse since she hates Corrados - I know divorce material right there. At the end of the day it is a hobby and I take great satisfaction saving a car for the breakers yard and getting it as good as I can. My Corrado would have been scraped if it wasn't in my hands.

I do sometimes look at my spend list and mark up items that are just maintenance to bring the overall cost down - brakes, bushes, suspension, sensors and then I go all man maths and knock of modifications such as wheels, exhaust, cams, remap as they were just nice to have. Basically I get back to the true cost of restoration and that is welding, fabrication, panels and paint. Looking at it that way you're in for 5-15k depending how serious things are. An engine build is mainteance really once something has done 150-200k but personally I'd rather have a higher mile car with rebuilt engine and restored body than a 80k motor with restored body and have to pay the premium for low mileage. Different if you're just doing it to sell but I don't want to sell mine. I may not make much sense but it keeps the demons away from my mind at least.

I want to restore a G60 next and also have mk2 16v and mk3 16v at varying degrees of completion (75% & 90% respectfullly to my standard, which isn't as high as some). Yeah it costs, but if you had a modern equivalent leased car for a decade you'd probably spend more doing that have not have an appreciating asset in your hands at the end of it. 

6 hours ago, kickyou73 said:

I only collected the stats in a way of trying to justify the spending to the wife! 

So what did she say ?

14 hours ago, Keyo said:

You need to flush that calculator and account sheet down the toilet mate or your in the wrong game. 

Harsh but true!

You have to be into Corrados for the love of them only, very few will ever break even, less will turn a profit.

I think it's great what you've done. It's a gauge of prices nothing more, and there will always be exceptions on both sides of the scale for all models. Regardless of any one persons being better than most, the evidence proves that Storms are more desirable and sell for more, it's simple fact. Yes it's an enthusiasts car as are the vast majority of cars past 20 years old imo, so the sensible person wants to know that if they're going to invest in one, that they're not going to get shafted. An average price in the current market helps them verify that and also helps the average person justify spending what amounts to a not insignificant amount if they want to restore them. 

8 hours ago, James. said:

So what did she say ?

I have a bodywork guy coming to take a look at the car tomorrow. Once I have a price back then I will way up the odds of fixing up the car vs staying married!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

Harsh but true!

You have to be into Corrados for the love of them only, very few will ever break even, less will turn a profit.

22 years of more or less continuous Corrado ownership so I have put my time in and love them as much as anyone. No harm in sanity checking yourself every now and again though. I am happy to spend what I have but bills of 15 - 25k have to be thought about if you have a family. It was never about trying to make a profit but only get a feel for what the car could be worth all fixed up because if I spend all our savings and lose my job then it's got to be sold whether I like it or not.

Very sensible approach. I wouldn't recommend dipping into any life/family investments or the golden 6 month cash in the bank to restore one though - investments will perform their value today 10 fold over a lifetime vs restoring a Corrado and eating into other family budgets will create resentment and rifts in families! Just my view to keep it all balanced and under control. 

10 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Put some photos up, let’s have a look see

It's actually at the garage trying to get an mot. This is from a couple of years ago.IMG_2391.thumb.JPG.98e707906f103864b4329b011683bb93.JPGget an mot at the moment. IMG_2363.thumb.JPG.c80f66ce984f65f9ef3c22554f98a8f9.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Looks great from here. Serious question though: do you prefer looking at it or driving it ?

Once you get into restoring the car, driving it can fill you with fear when you realise how rare parts can be to replace (again) along with the amount of personal time and sacrifice needed to finish it.

I've just had my daily 8v painted (which has been loooonng overdue), but I'm not going to let it get in the way of me enjoying it on a day to day basis.

T'other one I have is a different story. But that's just because I've spent sooo much time getting to where it is now..

Sat in the garage under a dust cover.

Where in the UK are you ? as it seems full hit prices differ wildly across our fair isle.

5 hours ago, kickyou73 said:

I have a bodywork guy coming to take a look at the car tomorrow. Once I have a price back then I will way up the odds of fixing up the car vs staying married!

I’ve got to say that your reply was pure quality. It’s still tickling me now 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, James. said:

Looks great from here. Serious question though: do you prefer looking at it or driving it ?

Once you get into restoring the car, driving it can fill you with fear when you realise how rare parts can be to replace (again) along with the amount of personal time and sacrifice needed to finish it.

I've just had my daily 8v painted (which has been loooonng overdue), but I'm not going to let it get in the way of me enjoying it on a day to day basis.

T'other one I have is a different story. But that's just because I've spent sooo much time getting to where it is now..

Sat in the garage under a dust cover.

Where in the UK are you ? as it seems full hit prices differ wildly across our fair isle.

I do prefer driving but not the stress of daily driving anymore. Personally I think the Corrado is the perfect car for a road trip and that kind of thing.

We live in Hertfordshire and it's been many years since I have seen another Corrado being driven around here! In fact the last time it happened the guy followed me into B&Q's and we spent an hour or so chatting like old mates.

I did wonder if it would be cheaper to take the car further away from London to have the work done to it.

There was a spate of cars/bikes being shipped abroad (Poland for one) a number of years back. And whilst I’m not abdicating such action, it does ask the question whether this would be a workable solution in the coming years.

If you’re capable/willing to strip and scuff the car, perhaps a generous saving can be made ?

But it does appear that there is (along with many other businesses) a backlog of work within the car repair industry, leading to those quick turnaround insurance jobs being at the top of the pile. With the rest of the jobs having to wait in line.

Maybe reach out to other local classic owners/clubs and see who they recommend. There’s garages out there that do work on full cars, it’s just finding and catching them at the right time that’s the issue.

It looks presentable.

I’ve looked your mot history a lot of the stuff mentioned is fairly easy to do yourself, if that what’s failing you this time  rear brakes are best swapped out with new discs pads and handbrake cables all done in one  

I did it not so long ago and listed the part numbers on my thread  

Some garages are better than others, but you’ll know that. Good luck mate

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Where abouts in Hertfordshire? Me too. Happy to give you hand or have a look etc if helpful. I am north Herts/border of Cambridgeshire

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, MJA said:

Where abouts in Hertfordshire? Me too. Happy to give you hand or have a look etc if helpful. I am north Herts/border of Cambridgeshire

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's very kind thank you. it would be great to have you look at the car and really welcome any advice on restoring her.

We are also in north herts but on the other side of the country from you near Berkhamsted.

Hopefully at some point next week I should get an mot and can go for a bit of a drive. Not sure if there is somewhere half way we could meet up for a coffee?

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

Paint the sides , bonnet and bumpers - can get away with 2 k - you use this 3m tape to prevent hard lines- remove gutter seals- windscreen border seal - wings and doors.  Take to fabricator first to cut out any rotten metal, mostl likely spots - bottom of A pillars above wing- rear reg light area , rear wing drain lips- sills- arches -   you could get away with 3 k total for body . You can refurb the gutter seals for £15.00 - lots of hacks to keep costs down.  You can mask it yourself to make sure its done correct-  Chances are if you've had a windscreen fitted might well be rust that is the catch.  Its sort of like a house build you can call the contractors in yourself control quality and material costs or you get a so called builder in that cant lay a brick and calls in the contractors in on your behalf and whips off 40 % on everything. Get the fabricating done first if needed then primer yourself to protect and then take to paint shop. Rest you could for 7 k drivetrain- chains, frames off powedr coated and irons - bushes - mounts suspension- includes a good  2-3k bill off stealth. 10 k restore it dont have to be a 15- 25 . I just did my whole G60 for 12k and its driving and looking new.  This is your bible look at each area when refurbing and get some good orders in from autodoc and get every part on diagram bush etc wear parts. https://www.ilcats.ru/vw/?function=getSubGroups&market=RDW&model=COR&modelcode=76&year=1991&group=8&language=en

Ask if you cant source any parts or which brand shall I go for we can help. 

If you look at my build thread sassy saturn have just gone through this whole process - took 6 months. 

I recommend you do the mechanics first then body- when it comes to to the body strip out the seats and carpets and get yourself a naker of a seat - it will give you a chance to inspect the floor pan and prevent damage to the interior whilst fabricating - great chance to deep clean the interior with a wet vac and insulate - also might as well do the heater matrix if never done and heater box.  

I just had a look at your build thread and the car looks great, my first Corrado was Satin Silver and it's a still maybe my favourite colour.

Regarding me doing the work you and many others have here I have to put my hand up and say I am just not capable of doing it to any kind of standard. I tend to rush things or use the wrong tools, bend and snap things and to be honest would end up doing more damage to the car than fixing it. Without a garage, tools and the skills to use them I am a disaster waiting to happen!

I do now know though the key to long term Corrado ownership has to be a fair amount of mechanical knowledge as the likes of Vince at Stealth are getting rare now. My local garage put me on a guilt trip every time a take the car in.

A lot to think about....