fla

Covering trim pieces

Well I'm looking to start covering some of the interior trim in faux suede - glovebox cover, dash binnacle, lower dash etc. I thought I'd start with the glovebox cover as it looks fairly straightforward....and straight away I'm stuck! Ideally looking to avoid stitching pieces where possible as i have no idea how to use a sewing machine.

Any suggestions for the recess in the glovebox lid? The top is ok and I've cut the fabric on a bias to give some stretch. Cleaned the lid with white spirit and surgical spirit.

Thanks

Hasan

20220218_184219.jpg

Can you not fold it slightly at each corner and glue it down Hasan? Once it's in place and the handle is clamped on it shouldn't move.

thanks Sean.  I agree, although its more a question of getting a fold in at the top when you bring the material into the profile.  Maybe i should start in the recess and work outwards as opposed to putting it on the flat and working it into the recess?

3 hours ago, Cressa said:

Not a clue..... never done it and never will 😊. What makes you want to do this?

Perhaps not a bad idea!

Saw it on a few higher end cars and thought it looked quite nice

On my glovebox, VW covered the recess and then trimmed the rest. They use a process called skiving to taper the adjoining edges of the material. Granted mine is leather and may lend itself better to the process (as it’s thicker) , but may be worth a try. 

If it’s thin material then machine stitching is a lot easier than you think. The use of a french seam would also help with the visual appearance of the end product.

My first attempt at covering was the roof lining which I did with faux alcontara and that stretched enough to follow the contours around the visor recesses.

Give it a go and find out how much stretch you have in the material you have.

I have used a few spray adhesives and most have been rubbish, this is the best I have found so far

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113693893436?

You will mess things up when you do it so make sure you buy enough for your mistakes 😉

I also found that the plastic panels have like the A, B and C panels have a covering on them that is easily removed and makes it better to glue to, its a guess, but I assume the glove bos will be the same

Good shout Graham.  Actually a really good idea as if i mess it up i can always stick the old cover back on

By the way does anyone have a spare glovebox cover or dash binnacle, in any condition for sale? Basically for me to try on..

They’re buried in the roof of the garage under the 8v interior at the moment. Are you in a rush ? As I may have a spare glove box cover as well, but I’ll have to check.