Sign in to follow this  
oneohtwo

Rubber Washer in Coolant System

I've made a bit of a major error chaps, that could do with a bit of help on. Long story short, a rubber washer has got trapped in the coolant system, and I am not sure my best course of action from here?

Longer story, I have one of the ECS billet crack pipes, but it doesn't seal properly around the drain plug they have provided. My plan was to stick a rubber washer in the hole for the plug to seal against. However, it turns out part of the reason it doesn't seal is that the hole is straight through, there's no base for the plug to seal against. It is no wonder it doesn't seal as it's only relying on the thread of the plug to seal. Very poor design. Anyway, in the dark under the car I didn't notice this, popped the washer in the hole and... it disappeared. And I couldn't grab it back.

As the coolant was drained from the drain plug, hopefully it hasn't gone very far but I am now working through my options. All I can think is that I will need to get the front end off, get the crack pipe out and hope it's just sitting in the bit before the water pump and hasn't gone any further. Ordinarily I would just crack on with that, but I am parked on the road, so it's not ideal getting the front end off.

Any thoughts?

If it’s just a small seal the coolant pump will chop it up?

I was wondering that, but thought the risk of it clogging something somewhere was too great. But crisis averted. Sat down with a cup of tea and the cricket to calm down, and then had another look and you can reasonably easily undo the thermostat housing end of the crack pipe and pull it out from there. Washer fell straight out.

No just got to find a better way of sealing it. Maybe some blue loctite/threadlock would do the trick?

Edited by oneohtwo

Could be worth a try when I next drain the coolant. Didn't have any tape so tried the blue Loctite. Will see how that works out.