Corroda

Corrado Doors - Early / Late?

I bought 2 new Corrado doors from Heritage Parts Centre about a year ago and finally got round to getting them painted.

The body shop just called to say the doors don’t fit as the hinges are in the wrong place.

The car is a ‘95 model and I just wanted to check if the doors are different for early and late cars?

I knew the front bumper, wings, bonnet etc changed for later cars, but assumed the doors were the same. Can anyone confirm they are different.

Disappointed that I didn’t appreciate there was a difference, and I don’t recall Heritage stating they were year dependent.

Fortunately the original doors are not bad, but will take a bit longer to remove some dings.

Feeling a bit sick…..

If they are for an early car then by brother has just lucked out on his 91 G60 🤔

That is odd I have not heard of that. I have just checked part numbers on a 1989 car vs a 1995 car and they are coming up as the same part number. The parts diagrams can be wrong on early cars, missing early versions of parts but not normally on a late car.

Are you able to get measurements on top and bottom hinges on your car? Attached a couple of pics of mine to help 

20220412_125843.jpg

20220412_125848.jpg

I have some early G reg doors in my yard mate if you want me to measure .  All I was aware of was there was different fittings inside of the door central locking etc. 

Edited by Keyo

Thanks for the photos mate.

I’ve done some more trawling myself which seems to confirm that there is no change to the doors from early to late cars, which is a relief.

I will get in touch with the bodyshop and take photos of dimensions of the hinges on the car and on the new doors.

Hopefully it’s a manufacturing issue with the new doors, and not the car that’s off 🤞

I can’t follow that link mate, but assuming that it confirms there was a change.

I’ve phoned the bodyshop and the car’s currently in the booth getting painted, so I’ll go over at lunchtime tomorrow to take pictures and recover the new / now primed doors.

it’s a good job they checked the doors before fully painting them.

1 minute ago, Corroda said:

I can’t follow that link mate, but assuming that it confirms there was a change.

I’ve phoned the bodyshop and the car’s currently in the booth getting painted, so I’ll go over at lunchtime tomorrow to take pictures and recover the new / now primed doors.

it’s a good job they checked the doors before fully painting them.

It's that part I put in red - 1994 on there was a body change but not sure what "F" added to part number as well.

There is something odd on what you're experiencing - Keyo will measure his early doors to help clear it up. Assume your car is broadly standard, no known accident damage? 

Diag.PNG

ouch - so the hinge points on the body could be at a different height so - woudl this also explain the roof molding length?

That's interesting fender, recently found out the earlier roof moldings were different shaped at the ends and a different length also not listed on ETKA/Part diagrams also and this hinge issue could well be that. 

I have a spare early green coloured door in my garage will dig out it out for measuring.

I’ve added the part numbers from the Heritage invoice and list of prt numbers from LLL Parts, which list these for cars with central locking.

the last owner had the car from 3 months old until 25 years old and said it had never been in an accident. Time will tell.

53E24276-F588-4CA5-BB1E-88CC98A0BF2A.jpeg

5BFED35D-F03A-439D-B650-03C7C44BE491.png

Guys I’m in my yard tomorrow so will have a measure - the doors are off a red G Reg 16v 

I have fitted a late interior car door to a late body g60 J reg - the only thing needed to be changed was the Loom- electric window etc . 

Edited by Keyo

Thanks.

I should have photos from the bodyshop tomorrow, which will confirm where the problem lies 👍

If you also look at etka it starts from L- chassis the body rhd what about k chassis my red 16v breaker was chassis K - things are getting lost/ deleted on that etka . 

2 hours ago, Corroda said:

I’ve added the part numbers from the Heritage invoice and list of prt numbers from LLL Parts, which list these for cars with central locking.

the last owner had the car from 3 months old until 25 years old and said it had never been in an accident. Time will tell.

53E24276-F588-4CA5-BB1E-88CC98A0BF2A.jpeg

5BFED35D-F03A-439D-B650-03C7C44BE491.png

The flap, is that the tailgate. Bet it’s got a hole for the third brake light

9A600C0D-07CF-4F21-842C-E03D3D5E9983.thumb.jpeg.1f090e23ef1b7ecd758e6eeb32a349e8.jpeg

Hi Shaun,

I was wondering what the flap was referring to, and yes I do have an American style tailgate in my list of strategic spares……….which so far don’t seem to fit 🙄

I did wonder what that wardrobe door was all about. The tailgate you have is for a US spec car - not a bad move actually though - it means you can add a 3rd high level brake light and be seen more on the road.

Edited by MJA

Right, so I’ve been to the bodyshop and there appears to be a tolerance issue between the new doors and the old doors that has caused the problem.

They managed to get the drivers door to fit, and it was sitting nice against the wing, but was 5mm high at the B-pillar.  The passengers door would not line up with the brackets on the body. It was out by 1-2 mm.

Luckily the original doors are in good condition, rust free but with a worn  hinge that will have to have to be shimmed. There are also some minor dings to be straightened out.

The attached photos show that there is 1-2mm difference in the spacing of the hinges between the new doors and old doors. Unfortunately, I never took photos of the mounting brackets, but the bodyshop confirmed there is no chassis damage and I think the photos of the doors confirm a difference.

I’ve read through some old posts, which suggested that Volkswagen had a jig for fitting the doors, but I can’t imagine that this would account for the bolt holes not lining up.

So I don’t think there are early or late doors, just no adjustment on the hinges 🤔

7553CC44-1392-48DE-8304-033BD6F11C89.jpeg

444B097F-3C29-4B8C-B64A-B90E97911A98.jpeg

98961338-2952-44B4-978F-2C2C9C218A37.jpeg

Edited by Corroda

22 hours ago, Corroda said:

Hi Shaun,

I was wondering what the flap was referring to, and yes I do have an American style tailgate in my list of strategic spares……….which so far don’t seem to fit 🙄

Pretty sure the hatch will, fit mine did. 

You’ve  got to love new paint, it looks the nuts 

Measured early doors earlier they are the same. 

B2DC4D90-EDBC-4F1F-A635-F5BF6D28DD42.jpeg

8B94DBF2-CFD0-4104-BD1F-BCD2236910FA.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

Feeling a whole lot better after seeing the car today. The guys in the bodyshop are taking good care of it and I think it’s going to turn out nice.

I’ve been waiting 2 years for fresh paint, so the transformation is amazing. There’s a new windscreen getting ordered next week, and I’m looking forward to fitting the newly refurbished fog lights and indicators that just arrived back from Chris ‘Sprinter 53’.

8 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Measured early doors earlier they are the same. 

B2DC4D90-EDBC-4F1F-A635-F5BF6D28DD42.jpeg

8B94DBF2-CFD0-4104-BD1F-BCD2236910FA.jpeg

Thanks Keyo. I think we’ve proven that there are no early and late doors. Just some poorly made ones 👍

Just my 2p
There are early and late doors !
I have one of each, the later doors have extra reinforcement, which needs trimming,to fit the early mirror control, I had no problem with the hinges

Just now, dragon green said:

Just my 2p
There are early and late doors !
I have one of each, the later doors have extra reinforcement, which needs trimming,to fit the early mirror control, I had no problem with the hinges

That dont surprise me at all - i have never known a car with so many changes in such a short production run. 

Corroda,

HI,

Late to the thread, but unless I missed it, did you return the doors to Heritage for a refund, and if so  is the moral of the story don't bother buying new doors, they probably won't fit ?

Regards.