daves16v

Standard Tweeters 95 VR6

I just put some plain Alpine ones in the mk2 golf. Same as fitted to the Corrado. Fit fine, you either need an Ebay pair of adaptor plugs for under £3 or use spade connectors. 

All cheap and cheerful, work a treat.  I'm sure if you want the best someone will be along soon 

06393081339489ba6a23bc05a2702d48.jpg

01011540d3a52c9165ca1ada34c64dd2.jpg

Need anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Cressa said:

Oooh nice, where did you get those boys from?

Out of the dash of my breaker, no idea if they work 😂 

Would you really be bothered putting the old original tweeters back in? They weren't that great to begin with and will have suffered the ravages of time at this stage. Small tweeter/speaker technology has really come on since then, and you should be able to to find something modern that fits and actually works - once the trim is on you won't see a difference.

Another alternative is jsut to fit decent components in the doors and leave the dash ones empty - although I do get wanting to have everything back to factory 100%. although I've never heard of a show where a judge asks you to lift the speaker grille to check for the Nokia logo! Nokia were better at making phones anyway, and even that didn't last.. (actually they made way more selling backbone carrier and mast equipment and firewalls - don't ask me how I know).

I don't normally throw much out but I made an exception on those Nokia tweeters a month or so back 😄

I have 6.5" speakers in Audioscape pods already but am aware that the wiring goes in and out of the tweeters before they reach the door speakers and as the tweeters have been modified I wasn't sure if this would be an issue. Not fused about originality,  I'm restoring the original wiring so that everything works and its not a mess, I hate messy wiring. Anyhow the tweeters will be sold with the amp etc.

Dox, how much posted please?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, daves16v said:

Dox, how much posted please?

Thanks

£10?

If you take the wiring through the tweeters they will be active. The original wire goes in and back out to the door speakers. If you join the standard two connections together it will send the music straight to the door.

I had mine setup with door speakers and factory tweeter and it was not nice. I then installed some 4in speakers in the dash and spliced into the wire feeding the dash speaker to join it to the door wire. Much better!

However if I had audioscape I'd be temped to just remove dash speaker and join the two wires that connect to stock speaker.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, MJA said:

If you take the wiring through the tweeters they will be active. The original wire goes in and back out to the door speakers. If you join the standard two connections together it will send the music straight to the door.

I had mine setup with door speakers and factory tweeter and it was not nice. I then installed some 4in speakers in the dash and spliced into the wire feeding the dash speaker to join it to the door wire. Much better!

However if I had audioscape I'd be temped to just remove dash speaker and join the two wires that connect to stock speaker.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If you see Daves previous thread he has MB Quart tweeters in modified standard baskets, I had these in my mk3 vr6, great sounding set up to my then mid 30s ears (it’s all snap, crackle and pop in your mid 50s).

http://the-corrado.net/topic/87519-tweeter-connections/?tab=comments#comment-1040235

Edited by Dox

Thanks for the replies, for now I'll bypass the tweeters.

Dox, I'll come back to you if I change my mind.

Cheers

having read this thread - would i be best to rewire my JL audio 6.5" front direct to head unit?

AFAIK they are connected to a thicker audio wire which comes out of the door

as such i dont know if this looping to tweeters is still in place - if im honest i didnt even know the wiring did that lol

12 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

having read this thread - would i be best to rewire my JL audio 6.5" front direct to head unit?

AFAIK they are connected to a thicker audio wire which comes out of the door

as such i dont know if this looping to tweeters is still in place - if im honest i didnt even know the wiring did that lol

Can you heae the tweeters working?

I remember reading somehwere that there was actually a cross-over of some kind in the factory tweeters, but not sure if that's true - I guess the real reason is that the factory stereos jsut have 4x speaker output, so needs to be wired that way.

6 hours ago, fendervg said:

'sCan you heae the tweeters working?

I remember reading somehwere that there was actually a cross-over of some kind in the factory tweeters, but not sure if that's true - I guess the real reason is that the factory stereos jsut have 4x speaker output, so needs to be wired that way.

good question - i cant say i have ever checked for them

i didnt realise it had a tweeter setup in the front but i do know a previous owner had done some form of rewiring to the door speakers

im thinking of pulling some of the dash out & then completely redoing the the door speaker wiring with some decent cable like i have running to the rear 6*9's

One interesting variation was the "Aktiv" speaker system, these were Nokia speakers that were directly powered, active units - paired with a head unit that had not active pre-amp out stage, so wouldn't work with normal speakers. There was a rare Gamma CD unit designed for the Aktiv system, that as far as I know was the only CD head unit from that era, probably because losing the amplification stage made some extra room for the older CD mechanism - the rest all had casette units with CD changers.

It's pretty rare to see now, comes up in the odd Golf Cabrio, but I have seen evidence of a couple of Corrados being fitted with it. It didn't necessarily sound any better, but an interesting oddity nonetheless.