tony_ack

VR6 Starting problem(s)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fix a starting problem. 

Sometimes I turn the key and I get no crank. X-over relay kicks in but nothing from the starter. Sometimes it kicks in after a short delay (anything between half a second and about 5-6 seconds) Sometimes it doesn't start at all.

I also get an issue where sometimes the starter does spin but it's not engaging with the flywheel (it spins freely). There are a couple more intermittent starting issues but I'm pretty sure these are fuel management/crank sensor related.

I changed the ignition switch to rule that out - it seemed fine for a few days and then started doing it again.

I am planning to get a refurbed VR6 starter, but is there anything I'm missing that might be causing the problems?

Is there anything to look out for when getting a new starter? Differences in years, etc.?

I did get a MK4 V5 starter a while back but it's completely the wrong shape.

Edited by tony_ack

Does sound like a starter motor issue. It's always good to change the ignition switch as it rules that problem out 👍

I thought the mk4 v5 starter motor was supposed to be the upgrade !!

Can you get yours off and get it refurbished?

Engine earth fitted, clear of corrosion and tight?

out of gear, remove the small wire to the starter and put 12v positive to it (this bypasses the ignition switch) - don’t run yourself over!

clean battery / earth / starter connectors are essential for the starter to crank over an engine with compression, bad connections steal amps from the starter and volts (ecu will need to reach its minimum voltage to function) from other circuits as the starter trys to complete its task.

I've had exactly the same problem, sometimes get no crank, sometimes a few second delay, sometimes starts instantly.

New starter motor has made no difference.

New ignition switch seemed to cure it but then happened again a few days later.

Battery is recent and strong, been on a trickle charge too.

What does that leave? Engine earth - are there more than one? Where are they?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Dox said:

Engine earth fitted, clear of corrosion and tight?

out of gear, remove the small wire to the starter and put 12v positive to it (this bypasses the ignition switch) - don’t run yourself over!

clean battery / earth / starter connectors are essential for the starter to crank over an engine with compression, bad connections steal amps from the starter and volts (ecu will need to reach its minimum voltage to function) from other circuits as the starter trys to complete its task.

I've cleaned them up a few times (including when I had the starter off a couple of months back) but maybe not enough. For the earths, are you meaning the bulky cable from the starter to the battery? Or the earth points on the head?

Starter / battery

battery to gearbox

also any corrosion (or paint) where the starter touches the bellhousing

basically anything in the circuit that’s causing resistance (voltage drop).

Tony, just wondering if the starter clutch spindle needs cleaning?. If it spins but doesn't engage it may be that the driver gear is being prevented from being thrown out. 

Hasan