oneohtwo

Unknown Clunking/Rattle and Stalling at Speed

Hello Folks, 

Got two odd issues I thought I'd combine into one thread for ease.

First an odd rattle/clunking coming from (I think) the engine bay. This has been going on for months and I keep finding loose things, tightening them up thinking it'll fix the issue but it doesn't.  I got the tracking checked and corrected and asked the mechanic to look for anything loose under the car, but no dice so I think the drivetrain is fine. But now I think I have traced it to the gear shift tower as it appears to be the only thing loose left in the engine bay and when I waggle it (the mechanism with the counter weight) it seems to make a similar sort of sound. 

The rattle/clunking happens when going over bumps  and rough road (unsurprisingly) but also at slow speeds when lifting off (although may happen at speed as well and I just can't hear it). Sometimes there's not much rattle, but others a lot. Sometimes there's a bit of a clunk. Sometimes it's more a shaking rattling type noise. Could this be the gear shift tower? Obviously it needs to be able to move freely, but I've never noticed it rattle like that before. All the nuts and bolts appeared to be tight on it, and there's no issue changing gear. 

I'll try and get a helping hand for someone to rattle it whilst I sit in the car to see if it sounds the same from inside, but in the meantime does this sound plausible and anyone got any reason why it would be?

Second issue is the engine stalled whilst I was slowing down from 70 to 40 on the motorway for some road works. It was what I'd describe as a leisurely gear change down, so when I put the clutch in and before I had selected a gear I noticed all the red lights flash up on the dash. No real dramas as I popped it back in gear, gave it a bit of throttle and bump started again, but it's not something you want occurring.

This used to occasionally happen, particularly when hot, when pulling up to junctions etc. where the idle would drop too far and stall. However, I have refreshed a lot of the throttle body area: new ISV, new dashpot, new PCV, clean throttle, and removed the slack in the throttle cable, so it is generally running pretty smoothly. The throttle shouldn't be snapping shut too quickly for the ISV to respond due to the dashpot and the ISV shouldn't be sticking. I am therefore wondering if possibly it's the MAF and that could do with a bit of a clean?

The other things I haven't renewed are the fuel pressure regulator, and Cam position sensor. 

I'm not sure on the stalling but last year I chased a clunk for ages and changed a load of stuff but found in the end it was the bolts that hold the cross member and bumper on were not to torque on the passenger side. You could also check your engine mounts are all tight as well.

Mine went on the mot shacker machine and all sorts and couldn't find it until those bolts were tightened. It went on for months and I was ready to burn the car at one point.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My latest bump-rattle was finally traced to the drop links from the ARB to the wishbones, so worth a quick check. Just look closely as from a distance it seemed fine....

🤞Goodluck

4 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Stalling I’m tipping to be MAF 

VWs early attempt at stop / start, just lift the clutch and away she goes.

6 hours ago, Dox said:

VWs early attempt at stop / start, just lift the clutch and away she goes.

😂 They certainly got the stopping bit sorted...

Thanks on the MAF tip, that backs up my initial question so I will get some cleaner on it first.

Clunk is still a bit of a mystery. Checked the bumper bolts and all seem tight. Haven't looked at the drop links yet, but I'd have hoped the mechanic who did the tracked would have noticed these when I asked him to look for anything. But you never know, so will go there next. Think I may have to take it to a garage to get to the bottom of it.

On 1/5/2023 at 6:40 PM, _Matt_ said:

You could also check your engine mounts are all tight as well.

10 Points to this man! One of the passenger side engine mount bolt had worked loose, that's another one sorted.

That is great news and a free fix. Easy thing to happen with these cars that have had lots of work done to keep them sweet as. 

Finally got around to cleaning the MAF the other day. Noticed the idle was dropping again briefly when putting the clutch in, so thought I'd better get on and do it.

Seems to have improved things quite a lot. Haven't notice the idle dropping at all, and generally seems to run better so that's another win.