Cressa

GPS tracking. What do you recommend

I have wondered about this for my own Corrado, not that I can physically get it out of the garage yet 😂😂

But as parts become rarer and more expensive it would be nice to have an extra level of security.  So I am wondering what anyone says is good or rubbish. I suppose there is an expensive top end monthly subscription down to a mobile sim in the car. 

I use Waze, free from the App store on Android.  It has the advantage hat it is updated constantly by its users and I have recieved warnings down to "large pothole in inside lane" in addition to the usual road closures and slow traffic.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

I use Waze, free from the App store on Android.  It has the advantage hat it is updated constantly by its users and I have recieved warnings down to "large pothole in inside lane" in addition to the usual road closures and slow traffic.

He means the sort that you could use to track a stolen car.

I use waze too, it’s great as you say

20 hours ago, Dox said:

He means the sort that you could use to track a stolen car.

I use waze too, it’s great as you say

Ooops, my bad.  I blame my advancing years.

5 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Ooops, my bad.  I blame my advancing years.

It’s one of the good  things about this forum that conversation is allowed to meander off topic.

It's not something I have thought about but now you mention it and putting 2+2 together is probably a sceranrio we should all consider. I saw a mk2 golf from a youtuber was stolen the other month and no doubt it happens regularly outside of the spotlight. Trouble is i suspect the cars are probably broken for parts so even if you did track and find it you'd be met with sadness anyway 😞

What are Apple AirTags like? A mate of mine in Sheffield is having work done on his house and the builders’ excavator was stolen off the drive, it was tracked to some woods the following day using the AirTag hidden away on it somewhere. Cheap solution unless they’re easily detected by the crooks.

Think they are just a GPS unit with a SIM installed that you can conceal within a valuable item and send it's location back to the coud, same as "find my whatsit" feature. They are quite large for what they are, and the differrence with a tracker is that it would probably be powered off the vehicle battery with a backup in the unit. It's easy to use a scanner to detect a 2/3/4G or GPRS emitter though, so really depends on what kind of thives you are up against - would easily locate a car stolen for a joy ride or before it was prepped for resale or stripping.