Sign in to follow this  
black66

VR6 valve guides....

Hi,

Can anyone get me the VW part number for the full 12 valve guides for VR6 head?

And confirm Head gasket set part number is 021 198 012A?

Just spent the night dissassembling the head I bought at the weekend. Want to rebuild this head so as my car iss not off the road too long. Replacement head has only covered 50,000 miles but I'm going to do stem seals and guides on it as this is the main reason for the car needing head work(blue smoke after coasting/overun and smoke on early morning start up if blipping the throttle).

Seeing as the head is low mileage should I replace lifters? The head looks in great shape, no wear to cam profile, cam bearing surface and follower surfaces.

All in all, at the minute, VR6 headwork doesn't look as scary as it sounds. :D

Dave

nice one on the diy head rebuild...any chance you could do a step by step how to guide on how you did it and ask dinkus to put it in the how to guide??

Nah the VR6 engine isn't scarey at all. It's the cam timing that throws most people but with the correct VW alignment tool and ensuring the cam lobes at the sprocket end point up, and not down at TDC (180 degrees out) you'll be fine.

VW should know the part numbers for the guides. The seals come with the head set.

I would replace the lifters too, you may aswell whilst you're at it. GSF sell em for about £7 each.

Thanks Kev,

I will do the lifters. Want it to be super smooth and quiet after this.

Where can I get this alignment tool from? Any ideas?

There were receipts with the car for head work when I bought it. I'm suspecting stem seals only were replaced and not guides at that rebuild. Also on this invoice the gearbox was removed, so I'm hoping the tensioners were replaced then. Fingers crossed! :D

Dave.

God, I've had a long day and must be getting tired. I take it the VW alignment tool is available from...................VW!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You can check the upper chain tensioner (the one that wears through) when the manifold and rocker cover off. If there are two deep scores in it, refresh the timing gear. A good oppurtunity to fit the later 12V solid polymer tensioner and pressure bolt :lol: These have proven to show no wear at all after 150K!

Yeah just doing the seals is an old trick as the head doesn't need to come off to change those. They last for about 10K tops, during which time the wobbly valve stems eat through the nice new seals. Nice one :roll:

The VR will be quiet when the tappets are done but for how long depends on the batch of lifters you get, some last 20K, others 80K before getting noisy again :x

Yeah the tool is available from VW but some dealers are funny about selling you tools.

If they won't sell you one, a couple of bits of 3mm aluminium sheet will do the same job :wink:

Just been on the phone to the stealers, and stealers they are!

Valve guides are only special order from Germany, £14.18 each plus the VAT. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats not gonna happen!

Hi there, any engine refinishers should be able to supply you with new valve guides. I had mine done at a local place & they fitted bronze guides along with new seals. AFAIK the guides were peanuts.

HTH,

Robbo