Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

1.8T vs VR6

Sorry to interrupt,

Workmate and i swapped car for the 25 miles home (he has 1.8T (180) mk IVgolf, I have the Vr6 rado). After the beautiful Vr6 noise, I had to open the window to check his engine was still actually there with me foot down.

Just gotta say, drivin the Gti (although refined (rar rar)) was total w**k compared to the corrado, no feel, no class, no ROOOOARRRRR!

Plus the gear shift was shocking, felt like i was beating the car with a stick!

J[/quoteyes but your talking about a factory standard 1.8t have you ever driven a tuned one because there a totaly different machine trust me and no you never going to get that exhaust note thet the vr has but i think if you read any posts about the 1.8t all of us who have them totaly agree with you on that

There are alot of different factors that give us our opinions by the look of it... most of them a lot simpler than all the technical talk (although cheers guys... i feel like i hav learnt something... :) )

these factors seem to be (some quite obviously and are not limited to) the cars we drive and have driven and the cars we can afford to own/run/drive...

Personally i own a measly cack 4pot 1800 16v which i think if i read right isnt even a corrado? just a pretender? but im sure mine was released before any other... :lol:

but if money was less of an object i would have bought a vr6 and hopefully tried to manage to run one! y? Probably cos its the real and original big power C the way VW intended - oh and the aforementioned exhaust note!

Right now im makin the most of what i hav got and making it a little more mine with some personal touch's (better known as repairs :roll: ) but whats next? Engine transplant? Buy a VR6? Buy something new? i dont know... but its most likely to be a decision made on money (arnt they all? NO? if not then can i have some of ure money please? :lol: )

at the end of the day its not simply about which is better - more which is suited to the owners likes/needs and most of all WALLET!

personally i would like to take the 1.8T route because my engine is getting tired and i have had a few turbo cars before that i loved. Also i could keep my C and convert it over time... or at least pick up parts over time (where as spare money allows...)

do i have a point? not really... JUST MY OPINION!

oh and for the record i dont think i could say either is better, also i dont think FI is cheating...

as a final note... its been a long wknd and forgive the babbling... havnt reread me post cant b arsed - point n laff at any mistakes?!?! :mrgreen:

simple.. if you own a vr6 currently, turbo it.. if you own a G60.. aba/16V conversion and turbo it. leave the 1.8T's and their oil sludging issues to the mk4 chassis.

R

simple.. if you own a vr6 currently, turbo it.. if you own a G60.. aba/16V conversion and turbo it. leave the 1.8T's and their oil sludging issues to the mk4 chassis.

R

ouch.....

what oil sludging issues??

A friend here locally is an APR dealer.. he mentioned that VW has an active recall on certain model year engines due to oil sludging issues. Those K03's aren't the greatest turbo as well. Texas heat eats those!

R

Personally i own a measly cack 4pot 1800 16v which i think if i read right isnt even a corrado?

Mate, the 16V is one of the most characterful and fun 4 pots ever made :lol: Sure it's rev happiness doesn't appeal to everybody but VW didn't build it for torque, they had the 8V for that. The 16V was for people that *wanted* to extend the revs and drive with more conviction. It's a great engine and a good starting point in Corrado ownership if you're not able to afford VR6/G60 insurance and running costs.

Never be ashamed - it's a Corrado, no matter how big (or small) it's balls are :wink:

simple.. if you own a vr6 currently, turbo it.. if you own a G60.. aba/16V conversion and turbo it. leave the 1.8T's and their oil sludging issues to the mk4 chassis

Easy to say for you guys in America where you have several sources for these parts at your disposal, aswell as good prices. Try getting a home-grown VR6 Turbo done in the UK - at US prices!

Not heard of 1.8T sludging issues...... where does this sludge gather? Bottom of the sump? Oil galleries? Head castings?

I can imagine sludging occuring after infrequent oil changes but most people over here are fastidious and timely with servicing.

A friend here locally is an APR dealer.. he mentioned that VW has an active recall on certain model year engines due to oil sludging issues. Those K03's aren't the greatest turbo as well. Texas heat eats those!

R

Ahh right.. ahh well sludge or no sludge i've got one.. your right about those k03's I popped mine .. gt28rs is all good though :).. i would like a vr turbo but the amount i spent on my c it just wouldnt pratical to change now..

Andy

I swapped out my 3.1 VR6 with all the goodies like Shrick big valve head, big throttle body, Schrick cams, VSR etc for a 1.8T lump with a few mods simply for performance reasons.

As a package the VR6 is wonderful but my 1.8T has a massive 70ftlb torque advantage at 3,500rpm and a substantial advantage throughout the rest of the rev range that just maximises the potential of the chassis - it's so much quicker than the VR6 configuration.

I think both engines are great, they just have different characters and you got to decide whether you want a cruiser or something thats considerably more punchy :evil:

I swapped out my 3.1 VR6 with all the goodies like Shrick big valve head, big throttle body, Schrick cams, VSR etc for a 1.8T lump with a few mods simply for performance reasons.

As a package the VR6 is wonderful but my 1.8T has a massive 70ftlb torque advantage at 3,500rpm and a substantial advantage throughout the rest of the rev range that just maximises the potential of the chassis - it's so much quicker than the VR6 configuration.

I think both engines are great, they just have different characters and you got to decide whether you want a cruiser or something thats considerably more punchy :evil:

why not stick a turbo on the vr6 engine then?

1.8Ts will deliver more clout than an NA VR6, no question, and developing the 1.8T is cheaper than strapping a turbo to a VR. The VR never was all about massive power, rather 6 cylinder refinement in a compact car. However, the 1.8T does suffer from certain weaknesses when big power is demanded from it and the claims from certain chipping companies are best taken with a tablespoon of salt.

The VR is far better at doing what we want it to than VW ever intended, but it's a shame all of the VR's effective mods cost stupid amounts of money.

At the end of the day, the whole appeal of a Volkswagen is they give us a good base to start with. Inherent strenght and massive scope for improvement.

As Dazzy says, turboin'g a VR will eat any 1.8T alive, especially in 24V form..... but then it does have capacity on it's side.

for character and class go for the VR6,

for stupid horsepower and a chav dump valve, go for the 1.8T,

ahhhh, its as simple as that :wink: :lol:

why not stick a turbo on the vr6 engine then?

I did look at the EIP VR6 turbo and had a go in the StealthRacing Corrado VR6 turbo but the power was still quite lazy and all hell broke loose about 4,000RPM right up to limiter. Also traction was a problem with 400ft/lb of torque overwhelming the front wheels quite frequently and a big issue in the wet :shock:

I chose to go the 1.8T route because I get the torque building heavily from only 2,000RPM and maxing out with an incredible 282ft/lb at only 3,500RPM, which is much better for road use. Also the fantastic corrado chassis deals with this level of power and torque, much more and I think 4 wheel drive is needed. I suppose this is why the V6 turbos on 4motion cars work so well. I have already converted my previous Golf II VR6 to 4wheel drive which is now owned by a mate in New Zealand and he has turbo'd the VR6 but only uses it for track days. I did not want to go thru all that again and cut up my corrado :wink:

The Stealth VR6 Turbo used a Garrett T4 I think, which is a tad big for quick spool-up.

If I were to turbo my VR, I'd either go for a twin turbo setup or a single unit good for 350 lb/ft maximum.

As you say, drivability is key, not outright grunt in an unusable part of the rev range.

1.8Ts will deliver more clout than an NA VR6, no question, and developing the 1.8T is cheaper than strapping a turbo to a VR. .

Why is a 1.8t cheaper surely it depends on what's used in either conversion.. I would of saved a lot of cash and time by simply slapping a turbo on to my vr ..

Andy

:sleeping:

No I meant it's cheaper to develop a 1.8T that is *already* in the car, than adding a turbo to a VR6.

If a Corrado was engine-less and you had to pick one, then I'd be going for a turbo'd 24V VR than 1.8T power.

one thing that I noticed on my 24v is that the manifold actually 'breathes' in and out when you rev it!

I reckon the heat and pressure of a turbo would rip it apart!

I am aniticipating problems with my charger

If a Corrado was engine-less and you had to pick one, then I'd be going for a turbo'd 24V VR than 1.8T power.

Okay.. I would have to agree.. 24v t sounds like fun 8) ..

The 24V manifolds are plastic aren't they? I thought they had variable inlet tracts, could that be the breathing? Or do you mean the manifold tubes 'collapse' when the engine is revved?

You'd lose that manny when turboing anyway.

:sleeping:

whats wrong with you?

Nothing chap ..

I just happen to have a 1.8t .. but no Von Dutch or Burberry cap I'm affraid... :lol:

Andy

:roll:

good man :lol:

there not really chav like,

dunno why i sed that now, if i had a turbo id prob put one on

whtosssssssshshshshshshshshshsh :lol:

The 24V manifolds are plastic aren't they? I thought they had variable inlet tracts, could that be the breathing? Or do you mean the manifold tubes 'collapse' when the engine is revved?

You'd lose that manny when turboing anyway.

If you have a look in my members gallery thread you will see pics of my manifold, It has a big panel on the front of it, obviously been welded on there after they have fitted all the gubbins to it.

at tick over you can see this panel actually suck down under the vacuum, blip the throttle and the vacuum is relased from the manifold, the panel lifts back up a touch.

Stick my charger on and it may inflat like a balloon. I might have to reenforce it or replace that panel with something more heavy duty.

I'll just see how it goes.