Sign in to follow this  
BlueVR6

Strange Noise

Just a quick question?

The other day after a long journey a strange buzzy noise started :roll: coming from the back of the car from around the axle. The noise remained after the car was stopped and idling.

Anybody got any ideas what this could be?????

When it does it again, turn your headlights on (to put more load on the battery) If the pitch of the noise drops slightly, I'd say it was your fuel pump.

Cheers for the replies people!!! :)

I thought it might have been the fuel pump, it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side if that helps anyone.

Another thing if it is the fuel pump could this make the car harder to start as it takes quite a few turns in the morning.

How easy is it to change out myself, how much for a new one and should I get it done quickly?

Cheers for the replies people!!! :)

I thought it might have been the fuel pump, it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side if that helps anyone.

Another thing if it is the fuel pump could this make the car harder to start as it takes quite a few turns in the morning.

How easy is it to change out myself, how much for a new one and should I get it done quickly?

If it's on the drivers side then it's almost definitely the pump! As a starting point, I would change your fuel filter, it's probably never been changed. You can get them from GSF for about £15 IIRC. That may prolong the life of your pump, but by the time it starts making a noise it's on the way out I'm afraid.

The straining fuel pump is probably contributing to your crappy start up, but may not be the only factor.

I'm not sure how hard it is to change yourself, but I'd get it done sooner rather than later because if it dies, you'll be stranded :) It won't damage the car if it does die though.

The straining fuel pump is probably contributing to your crappy start up, but may not be the only factor.

I think the odds of there being only ONE thing wrong at a time with a Corrado are pretty slim... ;)

I think the odds of there being only ONE thing wrong at a time with a Corrado are pretty slim... ;)

That was what I was hinting at :D

Oh dear, that sounds like it's calling time.

They're £111 from the dealer or £95ish from German & Swedish.

Pretty easy to fit. You undo the black cover on the boot floor, disconnect the hoses and electrical connector, undo the large white lock ring with a plumbers wrench or tap it with a screwdriver and hammer, remove the ring, reach in and grab the pump, twist it until it unlocks, pull it out and fit the new one in reverse order of removal (as Haynes say!).

They can be a bitch to lock back in though so patience required and an empty tank is a good idea too.

K

Fuel pump is £95.95 + VAT at the dealer, but it's included in the parts club, so you may be able to negotiate it down to £70.76 + VAT.

Make sure you set the fuel gauge sender up to be calibrated the same as the old one before you install the new one... It's a pain trying to calibrate it later without a reference to do it from...

Also bear in mind the pump will contain a couple of pints of fuel, so don't just lift it out - allow it to drain for a few minutes on the edge of the tank!

Calibration? I didn't do that with mine. How do you calibrate it? Maybe that's why I ran out of petrol when it was still in the red, LOL!

The pump doesn't hold anywhere near 2 pints of fuel mate......1/4 of that max.

There's a small plastic adjuster on the sender unit. I'm sure there's a factory calibration method but I don't know it.. It should be good enough to copy the old one - it's cos they will use the same unit for different cars, which will have different tank dimensions etc..

OK thanks. I have noticed since putting the new pump in that the fuel guage is all over the place. Full 1 minute then 3/4 the next. I swear it didn't used to be that wayward....

Hmm, I'll have to investigate that one I think.

It's funny, mine does that too... The reason I'm saying "don't forget to.." is cos clearly my garage didn't...

LOL...garages eh?

I must admit it generally tends to go wild when going up/down hills, which is understandable I guess.....

Yeah, same here. I think it's thresholding - above 80% is reading full 12V, so if you let the petrol settle and become still in the tank, it'll drop to a sensible reading, but slosh it around and it spikes back to full..

Your pump came from gsf?

Yeah it did. The one GSF sell is for a Golf VR6, so I had to bin the Golf float assembly that came with it and refit the Corrado one to the new pump. The part numbers for the Bosch Golf and Corrado pumps were identical though.

I did look at the condition of the carbon resistor tracks on my float assembly and they seemed fine. Funny how mobiles and petrol are deemed dangerous and yet an electical current is present in the fuel tank permanently!! But then we all know liquid petrol isn't flammable, but rather the vapours are :wink:

I bet (in fact I know) my garage never swapped the float and gauge sender over when they fitted it. Yet you and I seem to have the same problem.. Ho hum.. :)

Tell you what, it's insurance time and I'm getting sick of trying to explain WHY the hell I paid *that* much money for the VSR/VGI when it doesn't increase the engine's bhp output, oh and not forgetting the old "is it an air filter?" questions... :roll:

Adrian Flux who I'm with just want a £30 admin fee to include my shrek, cams, throttle body and god knows what else I've done to it. Not bad considering I could potentially be in a 220bhp Corrado next month!

You can get them from GSF for about £15 IIRC

Seven weeks ago fuel filter for my VR6 was £7.74 including VAT and with 10% discount from local VW garage. (Cant call my parts man at this garage a stealer!)

You can get them from GSF for about £15 IIRC

Seven weeks ago fuel filter for my VR6 was £7.74 including VAT and with 10% discount from local VW garage. (Cant call my parts man at this garage a stealer!)

Ah ok I stand corrected :D Indeed, looking at my receipts, my proper Bosch filter from GSF was £7.93 inc... so blimey, it's cheaper from the dealer!

Sorry, dinkus - wasnt meaning to be a smartass.

I know its normally a knee jerk reaction to go to GSF or similar first - Hell! I just got a Polo 3 radiator from them on Monday - I didnt even bother finding out beforehand if the VW dealer 5 miles away could better their price!

Sorry, dinkus - wasnt meaning to be a smartass.

I know its normally a knee jerk reaction to go to GSF or similar first - Hell! I just got a Polo 3 radiator from them on Monday - I didnt even bother finding out beforehand if the VW dealer 5 miles away could better their price!

Nah it's cool.

Yeah I started by going to GSF first, but my local dealer is actually really good and give me parts club prices and/or 10% discount, so it's often better to just get stuff from them. Plus I don't have to pay postage :D

Once you start frequenting dealers often enough, they soon know you by Christian name and discount your parts without even asking and they also waive VW's new policy of payment upfront too. I am on first name basis at the Ipswich and Colchester dealers - Shock horror - and they lend me bits and pieces to try on my car on trust.

Because of that, I've given up on GSF I'm sorry to say as VW nowadays, for me at least, tend to match GSF on prices on all but the biggest of parts.

Once you start frequenting dealers often enough, they soon know you by Christian name and discount your parts without even asking and they also waive VW's new policy of payment upfront too. I am on first name basis at the Ipswich and Colchester dealers - Shock horror - and they lend me bits and pieces to try on my car on trust.

Because of that, I've given up on GSF I'm sorry to say as VW nowadays, for me at least, tend to match GSF on prices on all but the biggest of parts.

Yeah mine already know me by first name and automatically give me the discount. I usually send scruffythefirst to go get the parts so it's easier for me to pay up front anyway. I don't think they've ever actually seen me or my C, but I'm going in there tomorrow to go pick up a load of parts. Corradoless though :(