Sign in to follow this  
GIXXERUK

oil ?? and more

hi

as you know i've just bought a rado vr6,i want to change the oil and fan/ alternator belt just for peace of mind

so i have a couple of questions

1 - usually i use fully synth like mobil one in my cars but is this a good choice or would a semi synth be better ? :oops:

2 - are the best oil filters the ones from the stealers - oem vw

3 - i decided to do the lupo mod and read about it, it said the best to buy is the drivers arm with drivers wiper and the passenger arm with the drivers wiper BUT i rang the stealers and they said the lupo has changed and you can no longer buy the wiper and arm seperate, the come as and should be changed as a complete unit now, so what do i buy ?? :oops:

cheers

paul :D

i would check back through the cars servicing records to see what oil has been used,the dealers always used shell helix in mine and when i changed to synta the engine used loads of oil so i quickly changed back to shell helix,just because vag supply it dont mean they use it :)

hmm i think the last oil change was when it had a new bottom end and rebuilt head at awesome gti, so i'll give them a ring and see what they used

the oil is really clean but i like to know where i am with a car ( i know its a bit anal) :D

I use mobil 1 motorsport in mine. It runs a lot smoother since i put it in. (that said it was on salid oil when i got it )

G

if its had fully synthetic since new then you could always go for Synta Gold and go for the VW filters everytime :wink:

Yeah always use a VW filter as it has drain back stop in it. they are the best filers to use ( on any car ). Oil is your choice. I wouldn't bother with VW oil, just stick to a well known brand such as shell castrol or mobil. Mobil 1 is the best oil on the market at the mo however the others are close behind. Just when you do change the oil make sure you use the right viscosity oil. iirc you should go for 15W50 (or 0W50 ).

G

I wouldn't recommend a 0W oil for the C. As most of these cars are getting quite old now a 0W will not give adequate protection during the critical cold starts. I'd go for a minimum 10W. Be careful when buying fully synthetic oil, as many cheaper brands are not what they seem. There was a legal case in the US which cleared the way for oil companies to describe mineral oils as synthetic if they have any non mineral addatives, no matter how insignificant. Mobil1 is indeed a good oil, but is very expensive at around £40 for 4 litres. I have just stopped using Synta Gold as at 0W40 it is just too thin for the age of my C's engine and the temps it runs at (16V's run hot). Castrol RS10W60 is excellent, but I favour Silkolene ProS 10W50. It can be had for £27 / 5 litre when buying 4 from Opie Oils .

Their server's down at the moment, but if I remember I'll post a link to a technically fascinating thread over on Scoobynet. If you're interested in the Silkolene (or Castrol RS & others) then contact "oilman" (Simon).

funny you should mention castrol RS as i've got 5 litres of this in the garage but i didnt fancy using it in the c as you said i think it maybe too thin

awesome gti changed the oil last when they built the engine so i think i'll give them a call

Mobil 1 is indeed very £££££££

Bear in mind that most of the popular brands will come in lots of different viscosities. I have heard ppl say that you shouldn’t use synthetic oil in a C coz it is to thin. That is a load of rubbish as you can get viscose synthetic oils just like you can mineral oil.

G

just 2 let you no, halfords is doing some offer on there oils ( buy 1 get 1 free ) say about £15 4 tens litres? and i have never had any problems with there oils :D

I wouldn't recommend a 0W oil for the C. As most of these cars are getting quite old now a 0W will not give adequate protection during the critical cold starts. I'd go for a minimum 10W. Be careful when buying fully synthetic oil, as many cheaper brands are not what they seem. There was a legal case in the US which cleared the way for oil companies to describe mineral oils as synthetic if they have any non mineral addatives, no matter how insignificant. Mobil1 is indeed a good oil, but is very expensive at around £40 for 4 litres. I have just stopped using Synta Gold as at 0W40 it is just too thin for the age of my C's engine and the temps it runs at (16V's run hot). Castrol RS10W60 is excellent, but I favour Silkolene ProS 10W50. It can be had for £27 / 5 litre when buying 4 from Opie Oils .

Their server's down at the moment, but if I remember I'll post a link to a technically fascinating thread over on Scoobynet. If you're interested in the Silkolene (or Castrol RS & others) then contact "oilman" (Simon).

Read the oil bible about 0w oils guys

What about 0W oils then?

Good question. Given that you can't have 50ml, 60ml or 200ml of oil flowing through any size hole in zero seconds, what on earth does the 0W rating denote? Well it's a special case denoting a difference in the 'pour point' of the oil. Most 5W oils have a pour point at -40°F (-40°C) The base oil is the same in 0W40, but it's pour point has been lowered even further - sometimes to as much as -50°F (-46°C)

Pour point is 5°F above the point at which a chilled oil shows no movement at the surface for 5 seconds when inclined. This measurement is especially important for oils used in the winter. A lot of manufacturers tend to quote pumping temperature rather than pour point. Pumping temperature is the temperature at which the oil will pump around the engine and maintain adequate oil pressure. This is typically 20°F above the pour point - ie. 25°F above the point at which the oil is basically a gel.

So 0W oils don't flow through a viscometer in zero seconds - they rate at 5 seconds like a 5W oil, but they will be pourable at a much lower temperature. The bottom line then is that if you think your car is ever likely to see a cold morning in the -45°F (-43°C) range, you should be considering 0W40 oil. If not, 5W40 will do. Note that at -45°F, you'll probably have more to worry about than your engine oil - like your radiator fluid, brittle tyres, frozen locks, permafrost on the windscreen etc.etc.etc.......

taken from http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbible ... bible.html

At the end of the day, it's your car & up to you what oil you put in.

VW (who I used to work for) reccommend Synta Silver & so far as I know only Synta Silver !!

dazzyvr6 if your local dealer have been using Helix in your car & when now using Synta Silver, the car burns oil. I would say that is proof that Helix is the wrong oil to use - it has obvoiusly worn your engine.

It's only available through VW - we import it & many other items from VW somewhere in Europe. Not sure if we sell it any cheaper than the stealers though :?

Not sure of the exact grade, although I could find out. It's made by Shell, specifically formulated for VW & it's a different blend than any of the other stuff that Shell sell (Helix, etc).

In G60jet's message:

The bottom line then is that if you think your car is ever likely to see a cold morning in the -45°F (-43°C) range, you should be considering 0W40 oil. If not, 5W40 will do. Note that at -45°F, you'll probably have more to worry about than your engine oil - like your radiator fluid, brittle tyres, frozen locks, permafrost on the windscreen etc.etc.etc.......

The lowest air temperature ever recorded in the UK was -27C at 2 sites in the Highlands of Scotland (Braemar and Altnaharra in 1995).

Lower than -20C is unlikely in most winters in England and lowland Scotland, but the possibility cannot be ruled out completely. Glasgow Airport had -20C in December 1995, despite the 1990s being one of the warmest decades. -20C has been recorded in lowland England, too, within our lifetimes.

Silver Syntha is 10W-40 and made by Castrol for the VAG group :!:

Erm - u sure ??

All Quantum oils are currently made by Shell, although VAG have occasionally used Esso in the past.

Unless they've changed suppliers in the last few months ??

Yeah, I called the number on the back of the container last year and was suprised when the answered 'Castrol Industrial Lubricants' and got them to send me some info on Quantum and they also included all the Magnatec stuff as well, the Quantum datasheet I have has Castrol on it and its almost identical to the specs of the GTX Magnatec, I think its basically the same stuff but without the 'magnatec'

Either way, Shell or Castrol are good oils. Shell Helix is excellent oil, but a bit pricey from the filling stations.

You try getting a data sheet from Mobil !

I notice Quantum silver is now £15 at the dealers. I'm sure it used to be a tenner? Or maybe my VR uses so much of it I don't notice the price :lol:

At the end of the day, it's your car & up to you what oil you put in.

VW (who I used to work for) reccommend Synta Silver & so far as I know only Synta Silver !!

dazzyvr6 if your local dealer have been using Helix in your car & when now using Synta Silver, the car burns oil. I would say that is proof that Helix is the wrong oil to use - it has obvoiusly worn your engine.

eh??how did you work that out??it uses more oil when using vw synta than it does using shell helix so i woul;d think that the synta oil is no good for my engine,and it was the dealer that was using helix when servicing my car

notice Quantum silver is now £15 at the dealers. I'm sure it used to be a tenner? Or maybe my VR uses so much of it I don't notice the price

Yeah, I remember buying it retail for a tenner with a free filter!

Its £15 on the shelf now but I paid less than that for 2 last time (7.49 plus vat each)