Sign in to follow this  
Ford

VR6 vs CLK 320???

Friend has just purchased a CLK 320 and I have just purchased a VR6, both in silver, he recons that I will see nothing but the rear end of his car. His car has more power (218bhp), but is a weighty beast and is an auto!!!!

Would appreciate any comments/statistics that I can overload his inbox with...

Many thanks!

ahh you got a vr6 then.. do tell more about it and some pics??

erm i think th merc will win in a straight line to be honest but round the corners yours will catch up hopefully...depends on how good a driver you are :lol:

My mates auto CLK320 was quite quick but they are damn heavy, and you just try and take any corners in it!! Last time he tried with me in the car, a load of traction control lights light up the dash and it just understeered with shed loads of body roll!! :)

I had a 230 Kompressor X plate CLK for 6 months as a company car. Had 197bhp and despite being an auto was no slotch. But IMO the VR was in a different league - the VR was quicker, smoother (CLK was a nasty coarse 4 pot) and a better handler. I guess in a staright line the VR and 320 may be quite evenly matched, but I suspect the VR will out handle it.

LOL - the VR6 will absolutely whip it!

straight line?

Yup... a 'decent ' VR6 will have it in straight line and corners - compare the 1/4 mile times.... :-P

ahh you got a vr6 then.. do tell more about it and some pics??

Hi Jedi, will do, as soon as I pick it up tonight - will post pictures over the weekend. Yep VR6, silver, original apart from lowered suspension, exhaust and eyebrow spoiler. £104k on the clock and they did the timing chain and clutch, so hope it lasts a while... has a few dents, but we have budgeted for the repairs. All electrics in excellent order and has full closure alarm. I will talk about the sale that fell through on the other VR6 another time....just want my deposit back!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will forward a link to this topic to Mr CLK man later in the day when we have a few more damning facts and figures!! BTW his CLK is a 99 reg, if that helps...

Looking pretty decisive on paper isn't it !

But bear in mind the CLK was never designed to do what the Corrado does..... so it's not a fair comparison in terms of handling. It's a convertible handicapped by a heavy, but cool, folding roof system.

If you want to compare a VR6 to cabriolet, pick on the Boxster instead as that *does* handle and the 2.7 is roughly the same speed.

The new CLK would be a much tougher challenge for the Corrado though.

It's a convertible handicapped by a heavy, but cool, folding roof system.

Its the coupe version (hard top). Keep them coming...

BTW could somebody put the corrado stats next to the above merc stats that Scott kindly supplied. Could be the final nail in the coffin. Then I will forward the link to him....

from autocar sept 94 regarding the corrado vr6

max power: 190bhp @ 5800rpm

max torque: 181 lb ft @ 4200rpm

Power to weight: 153bhp per tonne

Weight: 1240kg

Performance

Max speed / rpm

top gear: 145 / 6200rpm

4th: 132 / 6900rpm

3rd: 93 / 6900rpm

2nd: 64 / 6900rpm

1st: 36 / 6900rpm

Acceleration from rest (sec)

0-30: 2.6

0-40: 3.7

0-50: 4.9

0-60: 6.4

0-70: 8.3

0-80: 10.4

0-90: 13.7

0-100: 17.7

Quarter Mile: 15.1@ 93mph

30-70 through gears: 5.7

this is from auto car twin test april 92 before the vr6 was available to buy here:

consider its shattering 30-70 sprint of 5.7 seconds. Put into perspective thats faster than the BMW M5 and as fast as an Aston Martin Virage

8)

hope that helps

That 30-70 time never really impressed me, I didn't realise how fast it really was. I just remember the stats on the Lotus Carlton with it's 3.8 seconds 30-70 time, which kinda ruined my appreciation of 5.7s! Perspective is hard to come by in performance figures!! :)

also like this quote from the 'our verdict' section of that twin test in 1992

Its a classic, the VR6, and its tallent runs so deep that it takes a while for them to sink in completely. Certainly, if in 20 years time, it appeared on the cover of some classic car magazine with a headline saying 'one of the all time greats' , we wouldnt be suprised.

can the same be said about a CLK??

hope that helps

Nailed it!!! Cheers!

Always hear varying results re: 0-60 times for VR6 though, who is correct I wonder?

Corrado club says this in their VR6 profile:

Acceleration 0-60mph in 7.2 seconds

That's the slowest I have seen, I guess that is the official speed. Most recon 6.7 secs to 60 - top gear etc? I am sure there is probably a thread about this somewhere in here? Might have to delete these questions from this thread later as this won't help our cause... can't agree on stats etc. However, even the slowest stat from Corrado Club is still quicker that the CLK stats above.

I've seen 6.2, but the most often quoted one is 6.4s. VW quoted 6.9 s, IIRC, but that would have been with 75% fuel load and two passengers...