Sign in to follow this  
Eug

Elephant's having a rubber ducking giraffe !

Got to admit - it made me chuckle (see attached)

According to the General Insurance Standard's Council they need to pay me out a reasonable amount so that I can go out and buy another car in the same condition.

They got their info from the AutoTrader ! How professional.

What's it worth anyway ?

'95 M-reg Twilight Violet VR6

Heated Grey leather

114K miles

Tinted windows (cost £200)

Unkerbed Speedlines with lots of tread (I paid £585 for the polished TT alloys plus brand new tyres so pointless to include them in the sale)

No engine modifications ie totally original and unmodified.

Comprehensive VW service history (no expense spared)

No dings/scratches (bonnet has been sprayed to sort out stone chips)

First owner was doctor, then lady driver up till 40K,

then motorway miles until 110K.

Edit: Don't think I'm even thinking of accepting that cheque ... will get on the dog and bone tomorrow to give them an earbashing :evil:

The funny thing is I got a call from them yesterday offering me £3700 cos they spotted a "match" on AutoTrader.

I kindly explained that mine was a much better spec and sent them lots of adverts to prove that

the current market value of a car with my identical spec is much more than what they were offering.

In fact, the cheapest VR6 with leather is on for £5800 ... in fact Pablo_VR6's car is not far off at £5K ono though.

And then I get this cheque for £2521 :shock:

Oh and don't forget the 34p.

Made me laugh.

I am buying it back, yes.

Need to recoup some of my losses incurred.

Including the £350 excess I'll never see again and the rise in my premium since I now have two total loss claims ...

well how about like for like........Joe M was wanting £6k for his 110K-ish Twilight violet/grey leather'd up 95M VR6 a month or two ago......ok he had a schrick and quaiffe in his but that wouldn't drastically affect the price tbh

perhaps insurers should be made to refer to an authority such as the CCGB in order to establish the true replacement value of our beloved cars. :wink: :wink:

Failing that everybody take out insurance shortfall cover

Can't believe they actually had the balls to send you that cheque- unbelievable! :shock: :lol:

Reckon you should ask for at least £5k mate. Stick to your guns. Send that cheque back now!

Update ...

I wrote back kindly explaining that for me to buy another Corrado in the same condition,

I would need at least £5K cos that's the current market value.

They contacted me couple days later and increased their original offer and I am now very pleased with them :mrgreen:

So thumbs up to Elephant 8)

As usual, they didn't make their best offer first time round. Makes me mad, that. I renewed (today actually), and the original renewal quote was ~£40 less than last year (pathetic for an extra years no claims). I ring around, get a few better quotes, ring them back, and they knock another £100 off it, AND add protected no claims too!

A mate of mine made a point of ringing his current insurer last to tell them he'd had a better offer. They said "tell us what it was and we'll see if we can match it". He just said "no - if your renewal quote wasn't your best offer, then you've missed your chance"... :)

Yeah sometimes you've got to call their bluff and say your best quote was £100 less than the cheapest quote.

I mean if they were only going to charge you 400 and your best quote so far was say 600, then they can charge you 500 and you both score.

Still the biggest legal con artists in the world I tell ya :evil:

Adrian Flux advise my renewal in October will be around £550, which is the same as last years :x

Still, that renewal quote did include all the recent mods and was subject to an extra year's bonus.

I would like to get my ins under £500 for a change, so I'll shop around too.

Kev...ha..you want yours under £500....id be happy if mine was under £1000 :roll:

Yeah tell me about that, but then I'm not doing myself any favours wrapping it round a tree..

Try a modified G60 in an 'E' rated area of the country on for size!

Just hoping that I can creak round to my 4th years no claims without too much fuss.. should help get things a bit more realistic! :)

Yay for kit kar insurance.....

330bhp (the engine as standard comes from a group 20 car and now its got an extra 110bhp), 650kgs (1/3rd the weight of the original group 20 car) and £500ish per year fully comp :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

how much did they actually pay out then EUG??

Kev...ha..you want yours under £500....id be happy if mine was under £1000 :roll:

The benefit of being an old man :wink:

Renewal through from herts ins today - £3,279.26p just a tad over the £700ish they said it would be when i checked how much the 20vt would be 3 months ago. :cry: :mad:

Now *that* is an insurance quote!!! :lol:

You can't lose, I mean, no-one else is going to be able to give you a WORSE quote, surely?! :)