Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Had my VR6 on the rolling road today....

....AND IT ONLY PRODUCED 148BHP AT THE WHEELS!! :mad:

Thats 7BHP less than a standard one!

Reckon I should have been around 160BHP at least! :?:

List of mods I've done is....

1/ Supersprint s/s exhaust and de-cat.

2/ Turn 2 Induction Kit.

3/ Ported throttle body.

4/ Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Car has 94,000 miles on it and the previous owner had a supercharger fitted to it (if that makes a difference)

C.O. readings were between 4.2 and 5.0 all the way through. So the fueling is ok.

Not a happy chappy. :roll:

Mate with a VR6 golf produced 144BHP @ the wheels. (s/s exhaust)

Another mate's 16v Mk2 produced 140BHP @ the wheels (it's had some engine work)

Why are there 10 dead horsies under my bonnet? :cry:

get vag com on it mate.

MAF of cam sensor must be dead or somthing that well down. mine did 178 at the wheels with a chip filter and exhaust.

your mods could possiblt have altered the power curve, in a way that has increased the mid range torque at the cost of top end power. how did peak torque compare to standard? how did ur torque curve compaire to ur mates golf?

So, it's a 94k engine, that has lived with the extra boost from a supercharger for part of it's life..?

I'd guess low compression due to worn components could be the primary cause.

Glad you're ignoring the headline "power at crank" figure by the way.. :)

hmmmm mike dodgy one - you have drove mine and felt yours wasa sharper but I got 155 @ wheels.

take a run up to DS autos with me some night for a head to head comparison. not many have great confidence in McVickers road these days.

what was the fly figure?

Thought mine had sharper throttle response, but that's because of the FPR/CAI and ported throttle.

No idea what the fly figure was.

He gives the results on a crappy piece of handwritten paper.

No torque or fly wheel figures.

Think I'll take it up to DS later in the month and get it done right.

have just read the messages in this thread... it still doesnt sound right to me :roll:

Mine is a 2.9 VR6 with about 91k on the clock. Under the bonnet, the only mods i have done are:

K & N Filter & Magnex Exhaust (full system)

It produced 174 or something in the first run. That was WITH a faulty cam shaft position sensor. The guys had one in stock, and changed it for me there and then.

On the 2nd run, it produced 194bhp. :shock:

I dont think that the Magnex and K & N make that much difference in the horse power. They simply make the power delivery smoother, and therefore they cant be the main reason for there being so much difference.

The only reason we knew that anything was wrong, is cause they plugged the car into the VAG COM. So my advice to you is to get the car plugged into one these, and that too with someone that knows what they are doing.

Good luck.

I take it those figures are @ the fly DelVR6?

Mine too delivered 174 with a duff CPS and then 200 exactly when rectified....both figures recorded (artifcially) at the fly..... dunno what the wheel figs were, but 161 sticks in my mind for some reason....

Well I know Del had an enormous grin on him when he got back after testing his car with the extra 20BHP - does it really transform the behaviour of the car that much? :)

Yes quite significantly Jim..... when the CPS goes, the ECU cuts the ignition advance. No advance, reduced power!

Mine drove back to East Anglia a different car with a new CPS :lol:

Cam Position Sensor: Don't have a part number (though I'm sure there's a thread kicking about here with it in), but ISTR it's about £40 from the dealer.

If the CPS has gone, it'll show up in VAGCOM.

DEL_VR6's figures are definitely @crank - no way anyone can report 194bhp@wheels without serious mods on a VR6! :)

Should have taken it on the rolling road at Inters, they reckoned I was kicking out 185BHP in a standard 16v! Wish I'd been more awake to complain that it was obviously just a tad on the optimistic side! :shock: At least the curves were beautiful, which was nice, as there weren't many other decent curves to look at at Inters, what with the crap weather! :wink:

Cam Position Sensor it is then.

Just so happens I have a spare VR6 C lying in the driveway to swap one off. :wink:

Where do I find said sensor and how do I go about swapping it?

Thanks

Mike

Depending on the rolling road them figures may be nothing to worry about.

On one rolling road in aberdeen my car made 165 at the wheels.

First time I took it to Star Performance it was 152.5 at the wheels and 205 flywheel.

Second time at Star P it was 144 wheels, 199.5 flywheel.

There was a standard 2.8 vr6 golf there that made 190+bhp as well, there like Corrados in that some engines make more power than they should, and some struggle to hit factory figures.

Theres probably nowt wrong with your engine.

Depending on the rolling road them figures may be nothing to worry about.

On one rolling road in aberdeen my car made 165 at the wheels.

First time I took it to Star Performance it was 152.5 at the wheels and 205 flywheel.

Second time at Star P it was 144 wheels, 199.5 flywheel.

There was a standard 2.8 vr6 golf there that made 190+bhp as well, there like Corrados in that some engines make more power than they should, and some struggle to hit factory figures.

Theres probably nowt wrong with your engine.

lets just say that the RR in Aberdeen isn't the most accurate.............and is prone to having the figures f***ed about with to suit the operator :shock:

OK.... the 194bhp was definitely at the wheels...>>>> Just kidding. (just wanted to imagine what everyones eyes would look like when they read that).... that figure was at the flywheel. i wish it was at the wheels tho.

Second point.... Pablo, you may not have anything wrong with the CPS. The first port of call i would have thought, would be to get the car plugged into the VAG COM jobbie, as this may tell you other things that you need to know. Although, since you have a spare, i guess it would be worth it just as a trial and error sort of thing, as it will oinly cost you your time.

Thirdly... Yes, the CPS did make a huge difference. I can honestly say that it feels like a different car altogether. (That enourmous grin Jim refers to is still apparent on my face every time i floor the loud pedal).

Like Kevhaywire says, when this sensor is faulty, it makes the car run on like a "safe" mode, just to make sure nothing untowards happens, and as a result, doesnt give out maximum power. As for where it is, i think the guys at Stealth unplugged the HT leads and undone a cover or two around there, but unfortunatley, im not knowledgeable enough to give you full tekky details on that one. I bet that there are people in here that are tho.

hope this helps mate. good luck. let us know how you get on.

The guy who owned the car before you was running the maf after the supercharger. This is bad news as it damages the filament and after a while gives poor readings and eventually leads to failure. So it could be the maf but as others have suggested, it's best to check for faults codes as it could be a number of things.

(C.O. readings were between 4.2 and 5.0 all the way through) That sound's way too HIGH.

When the CPS goes does it create a fault code?