Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

To Debadge or not debadge - THAT is the question

Hi Peeps,

I currently have a 7 slat grille on my 16v and I always thought I wanted to upgrade to a debadged grill. However, last week, i suddenly changed my mind, and think i will instead go for the 4 slat (later) VW grill.

The reason - The Corrado to me is a cool car. If someone says VW Corrado to me, i think - Cool 8)

Therefore, why would i want to debadge it? Why would i want to strip its identity from it?

Answer - I dont.

What does everyone else think about the whole debadged grill area?

DF.

Dead right, a VW badge is hardly something to be ashamed of is it! Keep it I reckon. Later grille is much nicer too, especially with a Kamei type grille spoiler.

....good excuse to post a piccy....! :lol:

i agree with you mate. i ilke the hard look you get with the debadged front but theres something about the 4 slat that looks classy thats why i wont change mine. get a 4 slat and paint it imo

I'm with Kwloon, I've removed all the engine flavour badging and just left 'Corrado' (coded) and the VW emblem (also coded) on the back. And just a black emblem in the grill.

I like the fact it's a VW and let people know it's precisely that, cause it's no ordinary VW :mrgreen:

As for engine badging, there's no need to shout about that imo and leave them guessing :wink:

Any VW fan will be able to tell by my 5 stud hubs what the engine is anyway......

I think it depends on a lot of variables... I have a 3 bar debadged grill on mine at the moment. I was never keen on these before and still aren't on a lot of C's. I'd had a 3 bar black badge affair before but TBH the debadged suited mine more... tried the debadged on a mates burgandy (dark pink :lol: ) and it looked poo!

I quite like the chrome VW badge on the front, but it does look nicer with a colour coded grille. The later 4 slat version is a must though :)

As far as engine badging goes, I prefer the red badges over the chrome ones, but it is tempting to just de-badge it. I also want a colour coded rear badge... is that something you get from the stelear pre-coloured, or a DIY job? (I'm assuming it's DIY for a fiver or £50 from the stealers)

Pre 94 Corrado scripts were colour coded at the factory by default.....any C's sporting a Chrome script as standard will need coding yourself. It's a piece of cake. Just spend a lot of time on the preperation and the results will be as good as factory.

K

My rear badge needs something doing to it.

It's got a half chrome, half faded to plastic finish at the minute.

What d'yers reckon....

New chrome one, colour coded to the burgundy paint, or black to tie in with the front?

new chrome one for the back

as for the front the later grille looks great, but it depends on the cars colour too

That's another reason why I coded the rear badges - the chrome coating sucks. It's wafer thin and lasts about a year before it's starts wearing off.

And chrome looks cack on Corrados anyway imo......

Pre 94 Corrado scripts were colour coded at the factory by default.....any C's sporting a Chrome script as standard will need coding yourself. It's a piece of cake. Just spend a lot of time on the preperation and the results will be as good as factory.

K

Bugger, if only I'd thought of this last week when the bodyshop had the paint mixed up :roll: oh well...

i am not a fan of the rear chrome "corrado" badges at all, with my blck g60 the chrome looks nice in the front and back, it breaks up the colour nicely

Badges, cant beat um, This season i'm useing a black vw grill badge with chrome vr6 badge, On the rear we have a vw golf highline vw badge, along with chrome corrado and vr6 badge. Only debadged grill i like and am considerin buyin is the reiger grill.

I change between chrome/aqua blue corrado badge, vr6, de'vr6 as and when the mood grabs me.

Wished vw had stuck the corrado badge on, so i had the option of takein that off and not leavein holes in the body.

I dont understand why everyone is so against the 7 slat grilles? is there a reason? I quite like it on mine, and i went for something different and made my badge gold. Goes well wiv the blue, IMO. Altho i would maybe like an eyebrow....

I dunno.. just a personal taste thing.

I personally feel that the later grille just updates the front end a little?

Kinda agree with Crazymarcel in that its nice to have a couple of diff options so u can change about a bit.

Been thinking of updating to a later grill 4 a while but i got mine colour coded a while back so it would be wasting money, changed the black Rondell to a Chrome to match a renault megane badge i picked up.

Mmmm.. you willllll switch G-Lader :D :) :)

nah looks miles better with the early grill on ....

Mmmm.. you willllll switch G-Lader :D :) :)

nah looks miles better with the early grill on ....

looks better with the VR6 grille for def

Dont think this is much of an argument... loads of people obviously like the different types... most people that dont like what theres came with have changed it in some way... added badges... lost badges... lost slats... added paint... its pretty much all to your own preference...

What i can say is... that its definitely down to the colour of the car... and i personally dont like the 7 slat grill (mine has one and im getting a debaged 4 slat one) but on that black C coded black with chrome badges it looks sweet...

Best thing to do is try ure own thing - if worst comes to worst u will jus hav to pick up a second hand grill to replace the bodged/altered/modded/painted one...

GOOD LUCK!