Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

VR6 problems starting up..

:x

I bought the car about 3 months ago, and it was fine until about 6 weeks ago..

I go to start the car up, sometimes it's fine. But lately it's been misbehaving. It will take around 10 tries before it finally starts up properly.

The car will fire up, reach about 1000rpm, then cut out. Again and again.....

When it finally does manage to start, it runs fine.

It doesnt seem to matter whether the engine is hot or cold, or if it's early morning, it will just refuse to start. I did a 1hour journey the other day, then left the car for 10mins, came back and it just wouldnt start........ :brickwall:

I took it for it's annual service/MOT yesterday, thinking my mechanic would sort it out. He couldnt even start the car to take it to the MOT station :roll:

He was supposed to get it VAG-COM'd, but the guy with the software & cable was the MOT bloke, who he never visited! :mad:

He changed the cold start valve 'cos he thought that was the problem. I went to pick the car up, and it started 1st time! Even this morning it started up fine. Excellent, or so I thought.

This evening it decides to play up again, and I'm getting p!ssed off :2gunfire: :help:

Sounds very much like a crank sensor giving up, or a factory immobiliser problem (if fitted) or possibly even the ignition switch. Relay number 109 is worth replacing too.

Costs and work involved:-

Crank sensor - £140 - 10 mins

Factory immobiliser - not sure how much to sort that

Ignition switch - About £10 and an hour's work

Relay 109 - About £13 - 5 mins

K

Ah.....first thing to get checked is the VW immobiliser then. Those OE systems are notorious for causing starting problems.

The crank sensor will come up on VAG-COM. If "Implausible signal - crank speed sensor - G28" comes up, replace it. It may also report it's an intermittant fault. The crank sensor will come up "No signal" when the engine is switched off though, which is normal.

The relay and ignition switch aren't monitored by the ECU.

Update:

I got it VAG-COM'd on saturday, and the problem showed up as something to do with the key/transponder

I cant remember the proper code. I was quite pleased it didnt show up any other errors 8)

Anyway, the mechanic suggested using the spare key. It seems to start 1st time more often now, but still ocassionally plays up.

The guy also said if it's not the key, then it's 'the coil' next to the ignition barrel which isnt picking up the signal from the transonder, or something..

He said he wasnt sure if it could be changed in the corrado, but you can with a mk3 golf VR6 :|

I'll have to pay the $tealers a visit to see how much this magical coil costs :cry:

Anyone got a part number for the transponder coil??

yes Dr Mat...I have done a search :)

Cheaper solution from another thread

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&lighter=

"Classic immobiliser blocked by a bad connection.

Drop the fuse/relay panel cover and the under dash cover on the drivers side. Up behind the headlight switch are a couple of black boxes. Follow the shiney black cable to the inboard plug connection on the bottom box of the stacked pair. Just slide the plug gently back & forth carefully cos of the fine pin connections. For longer term, spray the connector and box connection pins with WD40.

The connector has gone high resistance - VW bulletin from 1997 for all VWs made 1995 to 1997 fitted with the key immobilisers. Later cars got gold plated pins to overcome this as have the replacement parts.

Good luck"

I bet your old one works now you've disturbed the cable / immobiliser box connection. So keep the old one as a spare.

WD40 it all the same with the new transponder coil as the box's pins are still the old type.

The VW bulletin replaces the coil reader and the immob box so that it's gold contacts on both.

I bet your old one works now you've disturbed the cable / immobiliser box connection. So keep the old one as a spare.

Not likely, I chopped its head off :lol: THATS how p!ssed off I was with the damn thing :rofl:

I suppose squirting WD40 there too, like you suggest, wont do any harm :)

Cheers

Mine has the same problems, can go maybe 50-100 starts without fail and then it will be a pig to start! Local grease monkey VAG COM'd it with nothing showing at all. They said they needed it to go wrong while they had it on the vag com but it didn't.

RW1, Thanks mate...it did the trick but I'm not sure how long it'll last. Do you think its worthwhile taking out the box and giving the terminals a good clean???

Good... Did mine back in mid 1998 and havn't been back to since..... and not a failure to start since. :-)