Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Do wishbones adjust?

one of my mates 'C' 16v has this problem where one of the wheels has more camber than the other //...........did hear ffrom someone that the wishbones can be adjusted, it dint sound right but thought i'd ask y'all

There are two places that affect the camber; the bottom ball joint can slide in and out, but this hardly affects the camber. THe main place camber is adjusted is the two bolts at the bottom on the strut, top of the hub carrier.

Yes the camber is adjustable. The bottom ball joint that joins the hub carrier to the wishbone can be adjusted. The camber can also be adjusted where the bottom of the strut joins the hub carrier as there is a lot of play until you tighten the bolts up. Basically, every time you remove the struts (unless you are really really careful about marking up their original position) you should reset the camber. Unfortunately there are very few places that can adjust camber so a lot of garages just set the tracking after doing work on the car and then leave the camber uneven which leads to all sorts of bizarre handling traits and uneven tyre wear.

It is worth getting set up properly as it makes a massive difference to the handling. :lol:

Edit - Sorry for the repeat Andycowuk must have been typing his response in unison with mine!

sounds like alignment to me.get the car taken to a place that does laser tracking and alignment. wishbones dont adjust though, the adjustment is done from the top of the hub where it bolts to the strut

VW used to do waisted bolts to get more camber adjustment on MK2 chassis stuff. If it is too negative then try adjusting the other side to match. Then set the tracking.

Gavin

just to throw one out there if its only slight it can be bearings , check for play in the wheel.

as this was a weird one found on my mates car. wasn't needing adjusted at all...

weird one though

FYI with oem bushings, even castor is slightly adjustable. The rear pivot bushing's ID is larger than the bolt OD. To adjust, loosen all subframe bushings and pull the subframe forward, retighten the subframe bolts. I only suggest doing this is your car is on the alignment rack to ensure you get both sides adjusted evenly. As noted in another post, the audi TT motorsport rear wishbone bushings are amazing. 80 shore rubber and SOLID! I've installed these on at least 10 cars all with favorable results.

Robert