Sign in to follow this  
mambomonkey

Did anyone ever 'how to' D.I.Y. short shift????

Having searched the archived content on short shifters for the cable change box, i discovered that a couple of members came really close to posting a description on how to mofify the existing setup to reduce the throw. It is apparently a really easy and satisfying mod, - a welcome altenative to splashing out over £100 on other kits which don't even work.... So, is there anyone who would be willing to provide the info so that i can write it up and give it to the moderators to add to the 'HOW TO' section of this site? - It would be a massively popular addition i reckon.....Thanks in advance, - WILL

Provided the B&M short shifter is setup correctly and everything is in alignment, it does work pretty well actually. Just that it doesn't seem to take much to knock it out of alignment :(

come on,

someone must know how to do this easily on a C.

I have seen a DIY job on a pug 205gti and i cant imagine it being much different to this.

check http://www.205gti.com/main_uk.htm

then click in the left nav menu, "peugeot 205 techincs" and then "quickshift"

I need to know too!!

come on,

someone must know how to do this easily on a C.

I have seen a DIY job on a pug 205gti and i cant imagine it being much different to this.

check http://www.205gti.com/main_uk.htm

then click in the left nav menu, "peugeot 205 techincs" and then "quickshift"

I need to know too!!

It is *very* different to that on the Corrado. The throw and left-right reduction is done on the gearstick itself and not on the gearbox linkage like that.

AFAIK, the main tube is shortened, raised and the main fulcrum is also modified. Andy Brookes knows a fair bit about it.

Not wanting to tread on anyones toes but I may be interested in modifying these.

I'm in the process of starting a business partnership with a skilled craftsman friend (see my signature) which is where the polished seat handles are coming from. Apart from helping out fellow C owners, I could do with the business.

Dave

Dave..... once we get the precise details, I would be *very* interested in any products you can offer.

AFAIK, it's just a matter of modding the main tube and fulcrum point. Should be a breeze for someone of your metalwork calibre.

What about a weighted throw mod as on the Mk2 Golfs. Is that possible.

I absolutely hate the feel and length of throw of the shifter.

Corrados have a counter weight as standard, well, the VR and G60s certainly do. It's not as big as the MK3's counter weight (a mod I'm currently looking into) but if there's no big lump of metal on your gearbox end of the cables, fit a G60/VR counter weight. Makes one heck of a difference.

I still maintain that a well setup Corrado cable box is one of the best shifts around.

Corrados have a counter weight as standard, well, the VR and G60s certainly do. It's not as big as the MK3's counter weight (a mod I'm currently looking into) but if there's no big lump of metal on your gearbox end of the cables, fit a G60/VR counter weight. Makes one heck of a difference.

I still maintain that a well setup Corrado cable box is one of the best shifts around.

Sounds like something I need. Do you have a part number/price for the beastie?

daves16v, - this sounds like a great idea, - i too would be interested if you can do this. Although it looks simple in theory, it would no doubt be tricky to do bits like cutting new grooves accurately in the tube with little experience in metal work..That and getting someone else to do it for you always seems like a more attractive prospect... :wink:

I'll try to find a Corrado that is breaking (needle in haystack maybe) and do a proto. Unless anyone has a spare they can sell me or know of a C that is breaking.

"Balance weight" 357 711 188 A and;

"Double hex-head bolt" 357 711 234 A.

Both parts used on 88-97 Passat

You may also find the following beneficial if you have an early car:

"Gearshift lever" 357 711 051 D

"Relay lever" 1h0 711 202 A

"Carrier relay lever" 1J0 711 256

Fitting these last 3 may also require:

"Abutment" 357 711 789 C

"Hexagon head bolt (combi)" N 101 069 02

"Grommet" 357 711 798

"Spacer" 357 711 795

All parts from 88-97 Passat with the exception of the 1h0 (Mk3 Golf) and 1j0 (Mk4 Golf) numbers.

okay here goes...i hope i remeber it right

first...you can remove the shifter from inside without touching the exhaust, you need to dremel about 1-2mm away from the lip at the front of the gearstick(very obvious when your looking at it)

okay...once its out

theres a circlip at the top of the stick....the groove it sits in needs re-cutting 25mm up the stick, i used a hack saw

next look at the metal housing that has a pin sticking out that the stick pivots on....somehow you need to raise this pin 25mm, i cut out pin and welded in a plate to relocate it

last thing....the plastic lower section, it needs cutting in the middle and a 25mm nylon spacer added

the important points are...make sure the welding is quality, you dont want it snapping off....and make sure everything is 25mm exactly...you can do say 35mm for a extreme short shift or 18mm for a mild one...or anything between as long as the measurements are the same

i found this helpfull(he sells em if you cant diy it)

http://www.dieselgeek.com/early_cable_s ... nstall.htm

hope that makes sense...its fairly obvious when you look at the stick, should take an afternoon if you have a welder