Sign in to follow this  
Jimjam

Lots of questions...

Hello folks

I've not long owned my Corrado and I have since been on an intensive wallet-slimming program. (To think I bought this car as a cheaper alternative. *geez*). I've nearly got everything up together, but a few things have come to my attention. Hoping you guys could set things straight. Here goes:

1) Did the Corrado come with heated mirrors and washer jets as standard. It hasn't really been the weather to test the presence of such features.

2) My car hasn't got a headlight beam adjuster. Does it do this automaticly, or have I just not got one (I thought all cars of a certain age had to have them - I may be wrong?)

3) The manual says the drivers window should go up one-touch. It doesn't. Browsing the forum, it appears to be a common problem. Does anybody know of a likely cause / easy fix?

4) Very occaisionally when I start the car it revs quite erratically - rising and falling. If I blip the throttle it sometimes cures it (but not always), but restarting always sorts it. Again, any ideas on what the problem could be and if there's an easy (read: cheap) solution?

5) Heater direction control. What sort of price am I looking at for a replacement (dealer / scrappy)?

6) Finally, there is a bloody annoying rattle that comes from the nearside window. I presume something is in need of tightening, but I don't know what. If I open the window ever-so-slightly the rattle stops. Anyone?

By the way, the car's a 95M, 2 litre and it's got 8 valves (I counted them).

All comments (abusive or otherwise) gladly received. Thanks in advance guys.

James.

Welcome to the forum :wink:

1) Yep. Although the 8V spec was patchy, it *should* have the same refinements as the VR6 but some came without sunrooves and other bits and pieces. Spray a fine mist of water on the mirrors, hit the rear screen demist button and see if the water evaporates quickly. But if the mirrors are electrically adjustable, they'll almost certainly be heated too.

2) I think only the Americans got electric headlight levelling, or it may have been an option to the UK market but it wasn't standard over here.

3) Driver's one touch up and down, passenger one touch down only. Have you got an aftermarket alarm? They sometimes interfere with the window timing. The control box for the windows is behind the driver's side rear door card and the relays in that can sometimes go south.

4) Could be the idle stabilisation valve or cold start fuelling enrichment. Not too clued up on the 8v I'm afraid.

5) Another common one! Dealer price for the control panel is silly. Try and get one from a Passat from a breakers, they're the same near as dammit, bar a minor difference which is easily removed. Is the screen vent very stiff? There are a number of posts on the heater controls, try a search.

6) Only cure is to remove the door card and inspect the innards for anything loose. The usual suspect is the windows rear channel guide being loose or not attached to the glass.

Cheers

K

1) yes

2) Manual, the head light units have a knob on the top of them that is easy to get to on one side (The right I think) and hard to get to on the left.

3) Press and hold for a few seconds, actually it may work if you just press the up buttom quickly. (cant remember, i'll check in a minute)

4) Sounds lke the ISV needs cleaned out. (Idle stabilization valve) It often gets chocked up with dirt. Not sure if the 2 litre has that though. Carb. Cleaner from halfords does the trick.

5) Get it second hand from a someone breaking a corrado (happens on here alot in the 'parts for sale section'

6) Bloody windows always rattle, mine do my head in. Sometimes opening and closing them sorts it for a wee while.

Oh, and yes the Corrado does punish the wallet heavily but believe me its worth every penny :mrgreen:

Timo.

Blimey, that was quick.

Yes, there is an aftermarket alarm fitted - do hope they haven't messed about with things. I'll have a look at the relays at the weekend.

Had the stereo out yesterday evening and the screen vent cable is *very* stiff. Looks like that will need replacing as well. (Came across that passat control mod - would appear to be the way forward)

Thanks Kev - appreciate your help.

James

3) Driver's one touch up and down, passenger one touch down only. Have you got an aftermarket alarm? They sometimes interfere with the window timing. The control box for the windows is behind the driver's side rear door card and the relays in that can sometimes go south.

damn...thats ANOTHER thing on mine that not working as it should then!!! i always assumed that it wasnt one touch up?? :mad:

Blimey, that was quick.

Yes, there is an aftermarket alarm fitted - do hope they haven't messed about with things. I'll have a look at the relays at the weekend.

Had the stereo out yesterday evening and the screen vent cable is *very* stiff. Looks like that will need replacing as well. (Came across that passat control mod - would appear to be the way forward)

Thanks Kev - appreciate your help.

James

We aim to please :lol:

There is a bucket load of info on here about all aspects of the Corrado, so take a bit of time and browse around.

The electrics are a lot more advanced than the MK2 Golf - where most of us cut our VW teeth - but the rest is all MK2 / MK3 mechanically and therfore relatively easy to work on. Most mechanical parts are cheap to reasonable but some Corrado parts are unique to the car and quite expensive.

Overall, I find Corrado maintanence affordable and easy.

Good luck with the car.

Incidentally you have one very rare beast indeed. 8V Corrados are few and far between and get a lot of respect on here. The powerplant is neither here nor there, it does the job but value for money wise, it's unbeatable and most 8Vs were bought by discerning people not interested in gaining stone chips and driving at 9 tenths everywhere.

As is the tradition on here, new members have to get pics of their car into the Members gallery within 7 working days or your access gets revoked! LOL, only messing but some pics would be great.

K

3) Driver's one touch up and down...

damn...thats ANOTHER thing on mine that not working as it should then!!! i always assumed that it wasnt one touch up?? :mad:

I think we came to the conclusion this feature was removed for late cars. "Safety" or something....

5. On my valver it isn't the slide controls that are broken on the heater control panel, it's the black plastic 'cogs' and stuff behind the dash that are broken.

This prevents the air getting to the windscreen because the vent to the screen never opens, because the shaft that rotates to open the vent never turns, because the cogs are broken.

Arse.

That will be a mare to fix!

At the moment I have the vent to the screen permanently glued open, so that I can at least de-mist it in the winter.....

:roll:

As is the tradition on here, new members have to get pics of their car into the Members gallery within 7 working days or your access gets revoked!

He's not kidding you know.. pictures ARE mandatory.

Gonna have to get some piccys of mine taken soon then :lol: :lol:

He's not kidding you know.. pictures ARE mandatory.

;)

My Corrado really has to be seen in person to be appreciated for what it is.....I'll leave you to decide what that might be.

As is the tradition on here, new members have to get pics of their car into the Members gallery within 7 working days or your access gets revoked! LOL, only messing but some pics would be great.

Ok. I'll aim to get a picture at the weekend (weather permitting) but it's very unimpressive compared to lot. Just a completely standard (except for aftermarket window rattle) blackberry M plater.

Oh, and where do I get the uprated headlight looms? (I don't actually think the headlights are *that* bad, but compared to xenons, any increase in light intensity would be a bonus). And what bulbs do people recommend?

J

for Looms see Gavin... 8) Send a PM to H100VW

He'll probably appear in this thread in a moment.... I swear he's got an active filter for the word "loom" on the forums! ;)

Loom, Loom, Loom ;) :lol:

Ok. I'll aim to get a picture at the weekend (weather permitting) but it's very unimpressive compared to lot. Just a completely standard (except for aftermarket window rattle) blackberry M plater.

J

hmmmmm unimpressive and blackberry don't really go when your speaking about C's :wink:

for Looms see Gavin... 8) Send a PM to H100VW

He'll probably appear in this thread in a moment.... I swear he's got an active filter for the word "loom" on the forums! ;)

Loom, Loom, Loom ;) :lol:

Oh dear - Gavin you haven't shaken off this mortal coil have you :o:o:o :wink: