Sign in to follow this  
DubWhiZZ

The 6x9 vs Chaviness Debate

Ok - lets wrap up this little argument please chaps. I think its gone on long enough - take it to PM if you have to!

is this not a discussion forum? by all means split it but dont complain just cos we go on a bit. its what discussion forums are all about...

Matt

Right you lot

Component speakers are designed for delivering optimal sound and saving space, i have 6x9s in my C and the are very good. i would of gone for 7x10s but didn't see the point.

Component speakers have one advance over seperate drivers, the sound field is generated from one place. rather than 4 or 6 spots on the rear self. component speakers therefore could generate a better stereo field, however in a car there not ideally placed to do that.

in pro installs the compitions are normally to make the car as loud as possbile, components are not ideal for this as they have low handling compared to individual drivers that are amped accordingly in an active system. Not a passive system that most car hi fi is

Bottem line is.... a car is accoustically a nightmare....there for compomising on speakers is no big deal, you are never gonna reproduce home hi fi standards in a car.

good sound decent power handling get some 6x9s or such like

want more sound pressure level buy some seperate drivers and an amp, you will get better frequency response, but the car is mostly carpet and soft foam!! absorb those sound waves!!

I take it you mean coaxials rather than components?

coaxials having the tweeter in the centre of the mid and components having a tweeter that can be placed anywhere.

Ok - lets wrap up this little argument please chaps. I think its gone on long enough - take it to PM if you have to!

is this not a discussion forum? by all means split it but dont complain just cos we go on a bit. its what discussion forums are all about...

Matt

I'm all for discussion - if you wanna carry it on then go for it. Maybe I just misread it as a chance to fire a volley of ' :roll: ' type emoticons and sarcastic comments at each other rather than an actual discussion.

I take it you mean coaxials rather than components?

coaxials having the tweeter in the centre of the mid and components having a tweeter that can be placed anywhere.

it was late i was tired, brain not very active

I just traded in my dynaudio 3 way components for 6x9s !

who's gonna lend me their burberry cap ??

my corrado isn't really all that & I really can't be arsed spending hundreds of hours up to my tits in MDF dust & poly resin for this car.

Horses for courses & the 6x9s will do me for now. Does get a bit boring when component users get on their high horse though.......

(i've not had 6x9s since 1995! - and they have got a lot better!)

yalan - just because something has a chav image doesnt mean its crap.

hence my nova SR example. Id have loved a nova when I was 18 but the image was pure chav

as i said above the 6x9 speaker is a quick fix and thus has its place in the car audio world but its down near the bottom of the pile (maybe entry level sounds better??)

yalan - just because something has a chav image doesnt mean its crap.

hence my nova SR example. Id have loved a nova when I was 18 but the image was pure chav

as i said above the 6x9 speaker is a quick fix and thus has its place in the car audio world but its down near the bottom of the pile (maybe entry level sounds better??)

might as well lock this now cos we're both arguing the same point ;)

next week, sunstrips...

;) Matt

JL make some nice 6x9s and DLS do some with off board X-overs and seperate tinsel lead feeds, as do Vibe.

As with anything, the more you spend, the better quality you will get. You could use a pair of Genesis 6x9 subs with some silk dome tweeters and you will get a nice sound. Buy some £30 6x9s and you will get a poor sound.

As said already, cars present even the best ICE with a real acoustical nightmare. 6x9s are OK as rear fill but if you value a good stereo image, it's not possible from the rear. You don't sit with your back to home speakers do you? And 4 speakers just doesn't work at all imo, unless it's a proper surround setup, similar to home 5.1. The fronts and rears would constantly be at odds with eachother.

6x9s just bounce the sound off the rear screen and into the head rests. At least with front components you can angle the tweeters into the middle of the screen to get a dead central image.

At the end of the day, you choose what suits your ears. I've heard some very good 6x9s but it's having them at the back that doesn't do them justice. If you're not an Audiophile and just want a reasonable sound, go for it, although 8" mid bass with 1" silk dome tweeters will knock the spots off 6x9s :wink:

hang on hang on all im hearing is this is better than that and this is chav etc etc.....how many of u peeps actually carry passengers in the back and at the end of the day i see most of the ppl in this discussion have moderate or heavily tuned cars and prob dont even listen to music that much unless its coming from the engine....... so i think get some decent front speakers get them amp'd nicely and 6x9's at the rear and faded properly so they dont drown the front sepakers..... Than once its raining and u have to have the windows up and cant hear the engine properly turn the music on.dum dum dee

i got infinity components up front with matching 6x9 ( Stealth) and personallly i am more than happy with the Infinity's

Also has we all drive a corrado its not hard picking up women in the corrado so just make sure u got some big subs to drown out their bitching and moaning :-P :mrgreen:

I've been doing a bit of reading about speakers (on various sites) and it seems common that 6x9s get a slagging off. They are criticized for being the wrong shape to produce optimum sound waves, distortion etc.... After listening to a few in-car systems using 6x9s and others using top quality components I made a choice as to what to spend my money on.

I bought a pair of Sony 3 way 6x9s (which are thought to be the worst speakers ever) for £40 and I haven't looked back since. They run straight off the headunit. While on paper they may not be that impressive, but put it in practice......consider inside a car which has all sort of surfaces at all sorts of angles....suddently all that theory becomes irrelevant.

for what i paid, i couldn't be happier....

and the chav link is totall crap...... don't chavs have momo steering wheels and lowered suspension? does that mean we shouldn't do that? :roll:

sorry for repeating what's already been said.....just thought i'd share my experiece on the subject :)

and the chav link is totall crap...... don't chavs have momo steering wheels and lowered suspension? does that mean we shouldn't do that? :roll:

Get out of here.... what Chav can afford Momo steering wheels and *decent* suspension?

Chavs..... don't judge a book by it's cover. I pulled into Audioscape the other day and saw a silver Saxo VTS parked up. Instantly picturing Infinity's and Kicker subs in my mind, I was proven wrong. He had 2 12" Seas Lotus subs, Genesis Amps and Seas Lotus reference components in it....which is some £2100 worth of kit plus install costs.

Sure it was all in the wrong car but the boy has f'kin good taste where his audio is concerned, Burberry cap or not, and he was actually a bloody good bloke.

Chavs don't do that calibre of ICE, period.

6x9s.... I'm still going to have to agree to disagree on that one but as said already, I am not going to condemn people for using them if they fit the bill.

Just because I am an audiophile and spare no expense in that department, doesn't mean everybody else should follow suit. If 6x9s fulfill your requirements, fairy nuff :wink:

I possess a very critical ear of audio and can spot a well reproduced tom drum from a poorly reproduced one a mile away, but that's just me, each to our own....

fair enough mate....I enjoy my sounds too...and my ear isn't too bad either as I've got many hours of music production/studio experience.... I realised that fighting against the acoustics inside the car is fighting a loosing battle so i've decided not to throw too much money at it.

But I'd defo like to have a listen to your system if we should ever bump into each other :D

No worries mate, people are free to drive my car or listen to the sounds, any time.....

You're dead right about car acoustics. They are an absolute nightmare to overcome but with a German car, you're onto a good start :wink: . They don't have to pose a big problem though. With the right amplification (decent current, not Max Power wattage figures) and speakers to match, you will get a sound you didn't think possible, good enough to shame some very high end domestic hi-fi 8)

An equaliser is a must too. I normally hate equalisers but in a car, you need them as you tend to get holes in the 40hz and 500-600hz regions.

Anyway, I could ramble on about ICE for hours but if what you've got makes you happy, then it's the right setup for *you* :wink:

Here's my two pennys worth. A decent pair of 6x9's, correctly mounted on a strong substrate, powered correcly ith a decent amp with suitably set crossover ie not getting sub bass, will sound quite acceptable. However, a pair of 600000w 6x9's powered by a Goodmans headunit, sat on a factory sagging parcel sheld hooked up with bell-wire will sound like crap. Nothing will beat a good set of amped components in a door loaded with Dynamat but correctly installed and powered 6x9's are nothing to be ashamed of. (if you mount them on a stealth shelf, you wont even see them either!). About them being too overwhelming and moving the soundstage backwards, that's what the fader is for on the h/u surely?