Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

AMP Choice + Sub

I'm driving a 3 way 125wrms component system up front (6.5", 4", 1") 6"x4" at the rear (i'll drive these of the head unit) and a 15" 500rms sub.

Am i best buying a 2 channel amp and a seperate mono single channel or getting a single multi channel amp. I really like kicker gear but there new amps aren't show'y enough for my car so looking at Rockfords new P series (will polish and chrome nicely) or DLS. Open to any other recommendations circ £500ish. Audiobahn looks the dogs but hear there abit bright sounding.

Also sub-wise, thinking 15" or two 12's what do you think are the best options for around £250. Again like the audiobahn subs, guess the bright sound does matter with a sub? Or stick with Kicker solobaric.

Directed make some awesome amps http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/product_info.php+manufacturers_id+21+products_id+2205 This amp is particularly good you could run the 2 sets of components off this and a single 12" sub r you could run it in series with 2 12" subs and get a smaller 2 channel amp to run the 2 sets of components. There are plenty of really good subs out on the market my personal favorites are the JL-12W3V2D4 they have a good quality bass output and have a reasonable price you can find them here http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... 1163&tab=1 for £179 a pop. With all that installed it will look the part and also have a very good sound system IMPO

I'm using DLS A6 Mono 2 power 2x12" Diamond Audio M6 Subs running at 1 ohm stable

& Using a DLS A2 2 channel to Power my 6.5/4/1 up Front

i think you would be better with 2 x 2ch amps mate as getting a really powerful 4ch isnt too easy (needs to be 4x125ish to give 500w to the sub). obviously a 4ch is a neater solution though so it just depends what you can afford

if you want showy look at sinfoni :) pricey tho ;)

quick Q - what ohm is the sub? 4Ohm or 2Ohm?

Just looked at them, signal to noise ratio is 90dB. That poor for the money.

Directed make some awesome amps http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/product_info.php+manufacturers_id+21+products_id+2205 This amp is particularly good you could run the 2 sets of components off this and a single 12" sub r you could run it in series with 2 12" subs and get a smaller 2 channel amp to run the 2 sets of components. IMPO

Good call, like the sound of that amp. Good price, plenty of power. I read their subs are the awesome, any other reviews of there amps?

I dont know about the subs but I ve been running an older series directed amp for the past 4 years on my vibe 15" and is superb quality I want to upgrade to 2x12" JL audios next and run a directed mono block amp as they are class!!! The 15" sub is good for really low slow bass but I want a more punchy quicker reacting sub to the kind of music I play now so 2x 12"'s will be ideal as they react alot faster than a single 15"!! As they are an american brand probablyyour best bet would be to do a search worldwide for reviews they seem to be very highly rated in the US as they are being used y some of the top show winning ice competitions!!

The 15" sub is good for really low slow bass but I want a more punchy quicker reacting sub to the kind of music I play now so 2x 12"'s will be ideal as they react alot faster than a single 15"!! !!

I've had 12's in the past and found my current 15" kicker smoother. Seen this audiobahn sub and it looks pretty mean but need 1100rms to drive it!!!!. UK importers only up the road too. May have to see if they are willing to do a deal.

Just looked at them, signal to noise ratio is 90dB. That poor for the money.[/quote:6f151]

are you kidding these amps are the creme de la creme mate.

Just looked at them, signal to noise ratio is 90dB. That poor for the money.[/quote:cd662]

are you kidding these amps are the creme de la creme mate.[/quote:cd662]

Not saying they aren't. Not been into incar for a while but a signal to noise ratio of 90dB is still poor isn't it? Thought any amp worth its salt was S:N 100dB+

CD audio standard (i.e. 16 bits) is signal to noise of (IIRC) 96 dB. Most good hifi amps claim nearer 110dB S/N, as do CD players.

Anything over 96 isn't much use, cos it's better than the resolution of your source. :)

And anyway, we're talking about in-car here.... Background noise of about 60-70dB at motorway speeds...

i can say from experience you get NO noise from sinfoni.

in my car i was able to sit with the volume on max playing silence and there wasnt a trace of noise in the system. its one of the tests on the iasca cd and most cars will experience a little hiss on full volume. not mine :D

its without a doubt the cleanest amp Ive ever owned.

There's no point using a Sinfoni with an average headunit and average speakers......

An Amplifier is only as good as it's source.....

agreed but LEE seems to be up for a good system :)

well he has 3ways anyway which is always the sign of someone commited to good sound :D

Depends if it's a 2 way component system plus Point-source 4" mids in the kick panel tho :wink:

I was playing around with a well know (in ICE circles and the talkaudio forum) Audi install on Friday night. All F1 status, Genesis and SEAS lotus. The sound was amazing...... especially using Alpine's uncompressed demo CD that comes with F1 status only.

TBH.....and I'm not joking here..... the difference between £1500s worth and £22K is not as great as you'd think :wink: Not to my ears at least.

TBH.....and I'm not joking here..... the difference between £1500s worth and £22K is not as great as you'd think :wink: Not to my ears at least.

Audio is a curve of diminishing returns. The difference between a £20 and £150 set of speakers is huge, but the further up the scale you go, the less improvement you get for your money. Spending £22k on a stereo is just silly, I can think of more aurally pleasing things I could get for £22k (V8 Cobra replica anyone?)

i agree dinkus - to be honest with some work a 1k system can sound bloody good!!!!

its not just a case of buying X Y and Z there is work that has to go behind it too. deadening doors, building enclosures etc. much more returns in that area than in buying fancy stuff imo.

i agree dinkus - to be honest with some work a 1k system can sound bloody good!!!!

its not just a case of buying X Y and Z there is work that has to go behind it too. deadening doors, building enclosures etc. much more returns in that area than in buying fancy stuff imo.

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it? Or something ;) :lol:

This Audi had all that done aswell !

The owner is just too much of a perfectionist, even more so than me and I'm the fussiest git I know!

He even had Dension custom make a DAC made for his MP3 player and Genesis also made him a custom Class A amp for his Mids. Madness and ££££s to burn quite clearly.

I was initially underwhelmed when it first powered up but once the Processor was tweaked and that Demo CD slapped in, you could easily hear where the money has gone..... but it's still not a £1K to £22K difference tho :lol:

He even had Dension custom make a DAC made for his MP3 player and Genesis also made him a custom Class A amp for his Mids. Madness and ££££s to burn quite clearly.

*sigh* why oh why oh why do you spend that much money on a stereo and then go and play MP3 files on it :roll: cretin.

There's no point using a Sinfoni with an average headunit and average speakers......

An Amplifier is only as good as it's source.....

I don't do average :lol: I'm trying to get the balance right between SQ/SPL/Looks/Budget. Its easy to go SQ or SPL but for a showcar it needs to tick all the boxes without breaking the bank. The quality of the install is probably more important for me as this is worth 20points and SQ isn't usually judged. Strange but true.