Sign in to follow this  
davebirl

What are the best brake pads?

I am running standard original VW brake pads and the dust off them is wicked. My mates Celica's wheels are never dirty to the extent mine get to. If I wash my wheels and dry them, a 50 mile trip and they're black as coal.

anyone know of a genuine low dust or no dust brake pads for the VR6 Corrado running standard brake system?

Thanks

pagid Fast Road pads bit the VW discs very well

I'll second that. They're supposed to make quite a lot of dust, but I've not noticed it particularly on mine and I haven't had the standard pads on to compare.

They're supposed to make quite a lot of dust,

well i have completely black front wheels and i washed the car last weekend.. :roll:

I don't tend to give mine much stick on the drive to/from work usually because the engine is cold or there's not enough road. My drives home do seem to be getting longer though ;) I'll see what my wheels look like when Friday rolls round.

i use ebc greenstuff pads with no dust what so ever on my wheels

great.....so when your crashed into the back of that car cause you didnt stop fast enough at least you can get out and see that your wheels are nice and clean :roll:

sorry....im a big hater of ebc pads....may aswell stick a few ice cubes in instead IMO!

You must drive like a girl then because I've used Greenshite's in the past and they *do* create dust......

great.....so when your crashed into the back of that car cause you didnt stop fast enough at least you can get out and see that your wheels are nice and clean :roll:

sorry....im a big hater of ebc pads....may aswell stick a few ice cubes in instead IMO!

no problems with my brakes what so ever,and the pads are proven..

You're not the only one Jedi.... I hate Greenshite too...... All 4 corners had them on when I bought the car and when Vince swapped them out for Pagids, I actually had brakes again......

Award-Winning, Dust-Free Kevlar Brake Pads

EBC Greenstuff Road/Sport disc brake pads are designed for sports cars, coupes and sedans used for high performance driving on the road. They are also suitable for sport driving in autocross, Solo II and many “track day” applications. The EBC Greenstuff pads feature a high Kevlar content formulation resulting in ultra high performance pads that are extremely kind to brake rotors.

EBC Greenstuff pads (friction level of 0.46µ) will be more responsive than most standard original brakes (typical friction level of 0.25µ to 0.35µ). Their high resistance to brake fade up to 1000° Fahrenheit make them a superb upgrade for luxury and high performance streetcars used for high speed driving or that encounter repetitive, heavy braking. As standard brake pads wear, brake dust is released as the friction material carbonizes at temperatures found in everyday braking. EBC Greenstuff brake pads are formulated to run cleaner because they resist carbonizing until over 1000° Fahrenheit, so in normal street driving, dust is almost entirely eliminated.

Features and Benefits of Greenstuff brake pads

Upgrade brake performance by up to 30%, friction co-efficient of 0.46µ

Excellent initial bite resulting in instant response, no warm-up needed

Leading fade resistance on the street, heat stable to a blistering 1000°F

Extremely low disc abrasion due to high Kevlar content

Low dust formula, great for alloys due to zero carbon content

Low vibration, smooth operation

The EBC Greenstuff pads have won many awards from United Kingdom magazines. In 1999 they won the UK Autotrade Magazine INNOVATION AWARD for their clean running, high performance features, and were also rated #1 fast road car brakes by UK's largest circulation motorsport magazine, Max Power.

Brake pads are wear items and as such, should be inspected regularly and replaced as necessary. Pads should be replaced when approximately 1/8” of friction material remains on the steel backing plate. Drivers who participate in track days should always take spare pads to the track and may find it desirable to also carry a full vehicle set of EBC Redstuff pads in case they need to upgrade their brakes to provide longer pad life at the track or accommodate higher brake temperatures.

I've heard lots of scary things about the EBC pads needing to warm up before they work properly. Great if you're on the track and giving them some constant jip, but not too great when that t0sser doing 65 pulls out infront of you on the motorway...

dazzyvr6 well anyone can cut and paste from the manufacturer's website... have you got any road-based test results/reviews though?

Edit: Would like to point out I'm trying to be an arse, but I've not heard good things about the greenstuff pads and I wanted to know if there are actually any head-to-head comparisons?

How well they work is also very dependent on what disks you mate them to.

EBC Greenstuff Road/Sport disc brake pads are designed for sports cars, coupes and sedans used for high performance driving on the road.

and were also rated #1 fast road car brakes by UK's largest circulation motorsport magazine, Max Power.

this had me in stitches........MAX POWER motorsport magazine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EBC Greenstuff Road/Sport disc brake pads are designed for sports cars, coupes and sedans used for high performance driving on the road.

and were also rated #1 fast road car brakes by UK's largest circulation motorsport magazine, Max Power.

this had me in stitches........MAX POWER motorsport magazine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably because they're green and gave better under-arch bling. :lol: Definitely steer clear in that case!

what we seem to be losing sight of tho is the original Q......."what are the best brake pads"...........however by this he is really meaning what are the best ones to keep brake dust to a minimum.....which from what ive always heard about in the past,are the greenstuff's...............i use pads which are made by and for the discs i use(AtE power grooves so AtE pads)......and i get plenty brake dust due to the grooves but as i clean my wheels easily every 2nd day this aint a problem for me

what we seem to be losing sight of tho is the original Q......."what are the best brake pads"...........however by this he is really meanign what are the best ones to keep brake dust to a minimum.....which from what ive always heard about in the past,are the greenstuff's

Yup, I'll go with that. Greenstuff pads definitely give off the least dust, so they will keep your alloys looking nice and clean.

dazzyvr6, if your happy with them.....great

Im just speaking from my personal experience of not being able to stop when using greenstuff pads....

so what if pagids create dust.......i normally wash my car once a week anyway so its no big deal

visible dust = brakes working well

no dust = hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm not sure but in my case = no brakes :wink:

dazzyvr6, if your happy with them.....great

Im just speaking from my personal experience of not being able to stop when using greenstuff pads....

so what if pagids create dust.......i normally wash my car once a week anyway so its no big deal

visible dust = brakes working well

no dust = hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm not sure but in my case = no brakes :wink:

If you are worried about keeping your wheels clean, I do like Mr. Haywire's trick of putting Swissol on the wheels. The dust just rinses off then! 8)

EBC pads suck, I'd use them for a paper weights and not much else!

Mintex M1144 pads are SUPERB, really really good once warm but you do have to put a bit of heat in them to get them working at their best. Other pads I know are good, although haven't tried them myself, are Ferrodo DS2500's, which are slightly harder compound than the Mintex (between 1144 and 1155 compound) so should last slightly longer.

I run Mintex M1144 pads with Brembo Max drilled discs on standard calipers and they refused to fade even after 30 mins solid flat out on track, well worth the extra cash over standard pads in my opinion 8)

Yeah the Mintys and Ferrodos are very good pads. I used to use the M1144s on Zimmerman drilled discs.....but the discs were pants and they warped too easily.....

Pagid FRs are the best pads for general use as they don't need any warm-up time and bite real hard.

But this is like oil, polish & tyre debates.... everyone has their favourites and will stick to them.

Pagids on VW or GSF disks do create a lot of dust but are confidence inspiring.

Greenstuff do give less dust, but can give you pause for thought (OH SHIIIIIIIT!!!!!) under some conditions...

Pagid fast road pads in my G60. Fantastic when warm, although the first time they're used in the morning, braking isn't too good. They're usually warm enough by the time I get to the end of the street.

They do shed a little dust but are very keen under braking. Afterall, braking is what they're there for. I'd sooner have good brakes & dirty wheels than clean wheels and require a new front bumper (or worse).