Sign in to follow this  
davebirl

What are the best brake pads?

Thread Resurection, Looking at Prices for Pagid FR pads on the GSF site. It seems to list VR ones but next to it is 8/91 now Im asuming that that means upto 1991??? or am i being Dumb caus VRs were not made then? Also silly question 2, Do I only need to buy 1 set? ie, left and right in one pack?

You get 4 pads in a box - so both left and right.

I would imagine the ones listed for a VR6 Corrado are the right ones, but probably one for stevemac to answer.

It seems to list VR ones but next to it is 8/91 now Im asuming that that means upto 1991???

Depends if the arrow next to the 8/91 is

EDIT: just looked at GSF website, it means 8/91 onwards

CO VR6 (Without Pad Wear Indicator) 8/91 >

Does that mean after 91? because it is (>)greater than?

been a long time since maths at school.

can i just second severl comments above please?

i just fitted grooved black diamonds and breenstuff all round.

ABSOLUTELY NO DUST

ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKES NOW EITHER ;)

ABSOLUTELY NO DUST

ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKES NOW EITHER Wink

LOL!

I drove a mk2 GTi once with the above combination fitted and they were the worst brakes i've ever experienced on any VW...

i can honestly say that mine feel no better now than the absolutely knackered standard ones i just took off.

may change to predator pads this week. that combo is supposed to be dusty but you actually stop ;)

Yeah, it's more likely the pads as I've heard people say the discs are ok... I'd be tempted to try the Pagid fast roads... we all agree they are good!

its funny, i've got a set of golf vr6 pagid pads under the sink. i bought em a year ago for the golf and everyone said they were poo so i never used them!!!

will they be the same as C vr6 ones??

Eh - who said they we're poo...!?!

They will say Corrado VR6 on them if so - they maybe the huge ones for the 288mm discs (part number FR-1101 I think...)

they're for 280mm golf vr6 discs mate.

i'm sure when i bought the greenstuffs for the rado the only diff between them and the golf ones was the wear indicator?

so shouldn't the mintex be similar?

So far, I have Pagid FR pads on the front and OE pads on the back with OE discs all round, and the backs develop more dust than the front. So from that I guess it's pretty safe to say that the OE pads make more dust than the Pagid FRs, and the back wheels are always harder to clean the fronts.

Pagid FR for me please.

can i just second severl comments above please?

i just fitted grooved black diamonds and breenstuff all round.

ABSOLUTELY NO DUST

ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKES NOW EITHER ;)

All brake discs & pads (regardless of manufacturer) take a few miles to "bed in". They should work better when they have a few miles on them.

Earlier greenstuff pads were sh1te but the newer compound is much better.

Funny this should come up actually as I was just thinking about getting some 'performance' pads. I already have Pagid FR's on the rears but I was thinking about the Ferodo DS pads for the front (think they used to be DS2500 but they may have changed the branding).

I know these have always had a reputation has being good pads but its strange no-one has actually tried them- maybe they're hard to get hold of or summat

Funnily enough I am actually working at the Ferodo plant at the moment- which is maybe why I am biasing towards getting those :|

Sorry to jump in here, but I need new pads and have been told to get them in the UK as they'll be cheaper than buying here?

So, anyone who's bought some recently - how much is a set of Pagid Fast Road pads and OEM pads from the stealer gonna cost in the UK (front only running on standard sized Zimmerman drilled discs btw)

Dutch

Thanks mate.

I did have a look on the net but there are about 5 different compounds for the FR's and wasn't sure what one's were best suited to the VR. I chose the 'Blue' ones and got a price of 129 quid??

I have searched but can some tell me quickly what the best Pagid pad is for the VR? Also what mintex pad is best?

...and are the prices quoted for a pair or a single pad?

Dutch

EBC do several different types of fast road pads - Greenstuff, Redstuff, Yellowstuff, Bluestuff, etc.

So far as I'm aware, Pagid do just the one type of fast road pad. We (GSF) sell EBC Greenstuff & Pagid fast road types of high temp (kevlar compound) pads.

Thing to remember about fast road pads is that the faster the spec, the less they work at low temps - round town, etc.

Personal recommendation - Pagid or Greenstuff for general use & Redstuff for trackdays.