Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Which exhaust system?

Bearing in mind that I live on an island in the stuck between the north Atlantic and the north sea,so therefore have a slight disadvantage when it comes to getting a custom exhaust,who's aftermarket system would you recommend?

I've had a Supersprint system,which had a centre pipe turn into a flute,and more recently,a Jetex system which after only 3 years on the car (1 of which has been standing in a workshop) has literaly fallen to bits.

So,if I were to go for another aftermarket system, it seems to be down to 2-Milltek or Scorpion.

I quite like the look of the Boxer style tailpipe and possibly a S/S system.Any ideas apart from the above two manufacturers?

Oh,it's for a 91 G60.

And price is kinda important too as they will charge silly money for shipping costs to Orkney. :(

milltek or magnex richard!.........................magnex for IMO the better look/fit and finish..........but the milltek ain't bad either.........if i'd seen a magnex 1st i would probably have that on mine rather than the milltek :wink:

Magnex 8) The mechanic who fitted the Magnex to my old 16v said it was the best quality exhaust he'd ever fitted. Looks slightly better than the Milltek too IMO.

As said Magnex & Milltek seem to be the forum Fav's, I have a magnex and it's turning out to be one of my wiseist buys for my VR, quality, fit and sound are all perfect. Like what AndyVR6 said above my mechanics also commented on what a great fit the Magnex was, worked out cheaper for me as well as a new standard VAG system due to the one section back/middle box hassle that came with that.

The general consensus on here would be either Milltek or Magnex. both excellent systems. I went for Magnex after experiencing both systems first hand and certainly haven't regretted it. Given your location, it's going to be a little harder to do this!!!

Both of the above (if fitted correctly) aren't much louder than the OEM system on a VR6 although I've heard that they are louder on the 4 cylinder cars (perhaps some 16v and G60 owners would like to comment)

What are your priorities? Cosmetics? Fit? Sound (or lack of it!)?

How do they compare noise wise.I don`t want to sound like I`m driving a Nova,know what I me Chavviness :lol: :lol:

On a VR, there isn't much to choose between them. Both are quite subtle systems but, from the two Milltek and two Magnex equipped cars I've heard, the Magnex seemed slightly quieter.

Neither system should be much louder than the OEM system and certainly couldn't be classed as a Chav system! Best thing to do is see if any VR owner local to you will let you have a listen, preferrably on a car with standard induction if subtlety is your thing.

If you've a VR, removing the exhaust altogether would still not make it sound like a Nova!!

Having said that, it's OEM all the way for me. Everyone always says "it's a little louder than OE but not much." and that little is too much, imho.

I worked as a manager for a Kwik Fit style (or charlie browns to anyone who knows it) exhaust and tyre centre for 10 years and I wouldnt recommend anything but Magnex, the quality and fit of their systems is second to none, as for other brands if a customer came in with any other brand we would normally charge more than if it was a magnex just because we knew it would take longer to fit and probably would need some subtle adjustment :x , In my time there I probably fitted at least a couple of hundred performance systems and at least 50 magnex systems, I had only one problem with a magnex and that was on a Mk 2 golf and was probably just a bad one, so magnex all the way Blown 8)

Thanks for all the advice. :D

It looks like Magnex it is then.

Just one other thing....Can anyone tell me if the Magnex is a larger bore than oem or what bore size it is?

The reason being that I have a 4-1 manifold fitted and I would like to know if the bore on the exhaust will be a match or if it's slightly bigger or smaller.

Also because the Jetex system I have at the moment is a bigger bore,so I have a reducer fitted between the mani pipe and the system,which,obviously,I want to get rid of.

Just a note to add to the Magnex forum :? . I've said this before and will say it again, why don't the forum members with Milltek systems speak up to expess their satisfaction with this superb product :roll: ? I have since Mid May this year sold over 35 systems to forum members allone, does this not say something for the ellidgability and desirability of the Milltek product. To read this thread you would think very differently. I don't wish to dissmiss the Magnex systems, but would at least press for a fair trial. Blown, give me a call if you wish before making a final decission, i will be happy to answer your every question on this topic.

Got a Magnex too... sounds great :)

But to help John out a little - I know Tempests G60 is Milltek equipped and as far as I know he's very pleased with it! :)

i had crap experience with magnex on my mk2 golf, so i got supersprint for the raddo, they dont do complete stainless systems, but they are supposed to last very well....... but for mild steel it is very pricey....

i had crap experience with magnex on my mk2 golf, so i got supersprint for the raddo, they dont do complete stainless systems, but they are supposed to last very well....... but for mild steel it is very pricey....

are supersprint systems not mildsteel box's with stainless pipework ? very good systems imho

Just a note to add to the Magnex forum :? . I've said this before and will say it again, why don't the forum members with Milltek systems speak up to expess their satisfaction with this superb product :roll: ? I have since Mid May this year sold over 35 systems to forum members allone, does this not say something for the ellidgability and desirability of the Milltek product. To read this thread you would think very differently. I don't wish to dissmiss the Magnex systems, but would at least press for a fair trial. Blown, give me a call if you wish before making a final decission, i will be happy to answer your every question on this topic.

don't get me wrong john.........the Milltek is a nice and good quality exhaust and i haven't had a problem with mine since having it fitted 2 years+ ago.....its just IMO the Magnex looks to be the better looking tailpipe and from driving a VR6 with one fitted is just as good quality as the Milltek.........i can understand you wanting a "fair trial" for the Milltek but as you are a stockist and have a close working relationship with Milltek themselves.....then your views unfortunately won't be un-biased(which as you believe strongly in their product is quite right )whereas forum members such as myself who have experienced both and have no vested interest in either can afford to give a "honest and unbiased" opinion on which is the better one to go for.....in this case i would say Magnex edges Milltek on the finish/looks of the tailpipe and they are equal in fit/sound/quality etc and ok the tailpipe really means not much.......but its what you see of your investment

are supersprint systems not mildsteel box's with stainless pipework ? very good systems imho

Actaully....now you mention it I forgot that!...

s/s 4 branch manifold, into mild steel cat replacement, into s/s straight pip, mild steel center box, and stainless back box.

I'll vote for Supersprint as well. Ive had Magnex (on two Golfs) whilst ok was a bit heavy, Jetex (Golf again) very good and fairly quiet and two Powerflow systems on two Corrado's. One too noisey and the other ok but on my 8v Corrado I fitted a supersprint system that fitted perfectly, sounded just right and looked like the original pipe but chromed. They are expensive mind.

s/s 4 branch manifold, into mild steel cat replacement, into s/s straight pip, mild steel center box, and stainless back box.

Vaguely on topic but - where did you get your 4 branch manifold from and how much did it cost? Is it a combined manifold & downpipe or does it just connect to the standard downpipe?

Vaguely on topic but - where did you get your 4 branch manifold from and how much did it cost? Is it a combined manifold & downpipe or does it just connect to the standard downpipe?

Mine is a TSR item, originally for a Golf, but adapted to fit the lambda sensor that the Corrado has.

Straight bolt on as the head is the same and is all one unit from the manifold down to the cat-or it has an extra bit of pipe to bypass the cat and fit to the rest of the system.

Coullstar,I've already had a Supersprint system which,strangely.let go all along the centre section,but the rear box stayed intact and is still in good condition.

I still have it in the garage somewhere too!