Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Oil temp reading on MFA

Just got the oil temp sendor replaced (looked like a pig of a job, so I got someone else to do it :) but I still don't have an oil temp on the MFA, it's just coming up as ---

Any suggestions on what to look for now?

look for a broken wire in the engine bay, or a dodgy connection on the back of the clocks...

look for a broken wire in the engine bay, or a dodgy connection on the back of the clocks...

Yeah I figured as much *joy* I hate chasing cables :roll:

I'll have a look next time we meet up. First thing to do is try my known-working clocks in your car which will back-up Henny's suggestion. If there is a reading using my clocks.....guess what?

K

I'll have a look next time we meet up. First thing to do is try my known-working clocks in your car which will back-up Henny's suggestion. If there is a reading using my clocks.....guess what?

K

Yeah sounds like and idea. I'll have a go at whipping the dials out at the weekend and see if there's owt loose. Is it an easy job? (ok ok it's not an easy job, but how do I do it?)

Most of the monkeys that work in their servicing departments have been 'trained' to go through a list of points to do.

Word of advice : If you're going to make comments as above, it's good form to actually be better at the job than the monkeys, especially when it's a retard-level one like diagnosing an oil temp fault. You'll find their "list of points to do" includes isolating the fault to sender or wiring without resorting to swapping clocks out. :roll:

I suggest you replace the rear wiper, it won't fix the problem but it's in keeping with the VW forum tradition of randomly replacing half the components in the car, without applying any form of logical fault-finding methodology or indeed, common sense.

Most of the monkeys that work in their servicing departments have been 'trained' to go through a list of points to do.

Word of advice : If you're going to make comments as above, it's good form to actually be better at the job than the monkeys, especially when it's a retard-level one like diagnosing an oil temp fault. You'll find their "list of points to do" includes isolating the fault to sender or wiring without resorting to swapping clocks out. :roll:

I suggest you replace the rear wiper, it won't fix the problem but it's in keeping with the VW forum tradition of randomly replacing half the components in the car, without applying any form of logical fault-finding methodology or indeed, common sense.

Well TBH I'm sure there are some good VW mechanics at a dealership somewhere, but my experience with them has been poor to pathetic. Either way, they certainly don't justify £70 an hour in labour.

I've got a receipt for the local stealership in Cambridge for £150 to sort out the poor starting on my car. They diagnosed it as a dead battery. Which it may have been, but it wasn't the cause for the car's poor starting, it was a result of it. The actual problem has been a clogged fuel filter (not changed since new) and as a result a dying fuel pump.

I'm not saying I can do the job any better either, but then I'm not charging £70 an hour for the privielge ;)

I agree with blue tbh, I wouldnt be swopping clocks out except as a last resort....

Yeah it doesn't sound like fun. I'll have another look through the grime under there and see if there is anything obviously loose. It could well be a loose connection on the back of the clocks, but I don't see why that would have happened unless the clocks have been out before. Having said that, there was a new immobiliser fitted by the previous owner so something might have been knocked loose then.

you are running the engine until its warm to test it arent you?? dosnt the oil temp only start to show a reading after a certain temperature :?:

you are running the engine until its warm to test it arent you?? dosnt the oil temp only start to show a reading after a certain temperature :?:

Yeah, it doesn't show up at any point. Which either means...

The engine oil isn't getting up to temperature (the coolant does, so that's not happening).

The sensor is giving screwy readins that are always too low (again not happening cos it's a new sensor)

There's a loose connection somewhere :(

I'll have a peer under there at lunch time and see if I can see anything...

:lol: I actually 'found' an extra 20 BHP by doing this, highly recomended!

:lol: I actually 'found' an extra 20 BHP by doing this, highly recomended!

Yeah, my rear wiper change over did wonders for the left-hand bend cornering. And I think it made the aircon work better too.

I had a look under there yesterday and I can't see a sodding thing because it's all caked in 10 years of gunk.

Some more intimate time is needed at the weekend I think...