Sign in to follow this  
andy

Naff Mirrors

Hi, Had my first Corrado two weeks now, really enjoying it, came from a Golf VR6, my only complaint with the car is the mirrors. The drivers side mirror has a humungous blindspot. Is this normal and can I do anything about it? It's got one of those stick on blindspot mirror jobs at the mo but not really happy with it. The golf had a line in the mirror where the magnification changed and visibility was v good, its spoiling the experience :-(

I know how you feel mate, I also went from a Golf to the Corrado and those blind spots are nasty.

After one too many near misses I bit the bullet and put blind spot mirrors on both sides. The trick is to set them up and after a few goes, here's the one that worked for me. Go to somewhere like halfrauds and get the wedge shaped ones about 3/4" at the fat end and 1/4" at the thin end. I wouldn't hesitate to do both sides btw.

Stick the mirrors in the lower corner (bottom left drivers side, bottom right passenger side). Then what I did is adjust the mirror so that the blindspot mirror covers your view of the rear 3/4 of the car. I hope this makes sense, but it means your eyes can easily distinguish between the info from the blind spot mirror and info from the mirror itself.

Just to add that what this does for me is when a car coming up behind me starts off in the rear view mirror, it then overlaps slightly to the blind spot mirror and then overlaps again into view on the actual wing mirror - that way I never lose sight of the vehicle travelling through the blind spot.

Short of sticking caravan extensions on, I don't know what else could work :lol:

Hope this helps (I can take a pic if that would help).

LvP.

Just to add that what this does for me is when a car coming up behind me starts off in the rear view mirror, it then overlaps slightly to the blind spot mirror and then overlaps again into view on the actual wing mirror - that way I never lose sight of the vehicle travelling through the blind spot.

You have cars go past you? :?

:lol:

...only when stuck in traffic...

;)

I'm just used to glancing over my shoulder rather than trusting the mirrors now.. especially after nearly getting myself wiped out by a huge lorry that I just couldn't see in the mirrors. Went to pull onto an A road off the lead-in sliproad at about 55MPH and nearly shat myself when I suddenly went into a huge shadow and just saw a huge great wheel come up alongside me!

;)

Ohh ok :D :lol:

;)

Ohh ok :D :lol:

Probably helps explain why we only ever see other Corrado's when they're going the other way - and then we just don't have time to twig what model it is... :lol:

Probably helps explain why we only ever see other Corrado's when they're going the other way - and then we just don't have time to twig what model it is... :lol:

:lol: True true.

Linus, cheers mate. I've got one of the blindspot mirrors that you describe, just wondered if I had a cheap replacement glass or something. Did VW really send a car like the C out with sh*te mirrors? I'm so glad I took it very easy for the first week because I really was generally surprised to find vehicles alongside when joining A roads and M-ways that I had no idea were there. You can completely miss a lorry.....scary, I guess I'll get used to it though. They really are the worst mirrors I've ever had...on any car.

Linus, cheers mate. I've got one of the blindspot mirrors that you describe, just wondered if I had a cheap replacement glass or something. Did VW really send a car like the C out with sh*te mirrors? I'm so glad I took it very easy for the first week because I really was generally surprised to find vehicles alongside when joining A roads and M-ways that I had no idea were there. You can completely miss a lorry.....scary, I guess I'll get used to it though. They really are the worst mirrors I've ever had...on any car.

'cheap' and 'corrado' in the same paragraph :?:

...you really are new to C ownership :lol:

Seriously though, I agree they are appalling, but on a more serious note (and trying not to sound like my dad), you're supposed to do a visual check anyway, it's just that the Golf slpit mirrors are so good you don't have to and then you get lazy ;)

...still wouldn't go back to the Golf though :mrgreen:

'cheap' and 'corrado' in the same paragraph :?:

...you really are new to C ownership :lol:

Just to clarify ;-) I'm not after a 'cheap' solution, was just concerned I had one already on the car when I bought it! Was hoping someone would say, no something's wrong, the C mirrors are really good, you must have a replacement glass or something. Oh well.. ;-)

Hopefully the C will be no more expensive than the golf, I'm certainly no stranger to the costs of keeping one of them on the road...

'Hopefully the C will be no more expensive than the golf, I'm certainly no stranger to the costs of keeping one of them on the road...

I'd brace yourself next time you feel or hear something 'not quite right'....

The 'costs' are a bit of standing joke really, 'twas meant in jest (not suggesting you're cheap!)

Being made up of Mk2 Golf, Passat and bespoke bits means it depends entirely on what needs attention.

Thankfully this forum is goldmine for that sort of info and it's not too costly to keep these things on the road when you know where to get stuff from. :thumbleft:

The 'costs' are a bit of standing joke really, 'twas meant in jest (not suggesting you're cheap!)

Being made up of Mk2 Golf, Passat and bespoke bits means it depends entirely on what needs attention.

Thankfully this forum is goldmine for that sort of info and it's not too costly to keep these things on the road when you know where to get stuff from. :thumbleft:

Yeah in fairness, most of the mechanical stuff isn't tooooo expensive to replace, but anything that is Corrado specific costs a fortune and is usually prone to breaking :roll:

But as Mr. Pelt says (:lol:) if you're on here then we should be able to help you find the better and cheaper alternative.

Yeah in fairness, most of the mechanical stuff isn't tooooo expensive to replace, but anything that is Corrado specific costs a fortune and is usually prone to breaking :roll:

corrado door handles anyone?

still, if you want the best, you have to pay. budget motoring can be found at the ford KA showroom . . . .

corrado door handles anyone?

still, if you want the best, you have to pay. budget motoring can be found at the ford KA showroom . . . .

Yeah I was going to mention the door handles... or the sunroof, or the headlight switch or the...

Cool :-) I'm thinking engine wise the cost of VR6 Golf or Corrado will be pretty near identical. Am hoping that any Mk 2 Golf bits will bring the cost of ownership down slightly. I owned the Golf VR6 for a year and have receipts for £1600, that sure isn't cheap as I always do everything myself and use GSF and the like where possible, fingers crossed....

If you're lucky enough to be able to do a lot of the work yourself then that's a big plus in your favour. I'm just jealous I don't have the confidence to try more myself, but I am getting there - albeit somewhat slowly :lol:

I have actually written down all the work I've done on mine and how much it's cost. It is scary to look at as a lump over the last three years, but when I see what's actually been spent on necessary stuff as opposed to optional stuff (and later on modifications), then it really isn't all that bad.

At least you found this place, hopefully that'll also help make the pennies go further 8)